Steering column question

Started by WZ JUNK, May 06, 2009, 12:11:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WZ JUNK

What year did GM begin placing the ignition switch on the column ?  I am needing to guess what year the column I have is so that I can get an aftermarket steering wheel assembly.  I am concerned about the horn hook up.  This one apparently did not use the common pig tail to hook up the horn.

John
WZ JUNK
Chopped 48 Chevy Truck
Former Crew chief #974 1953 Studebaker   
Past Bonneville record holder B/BGCC 249.9 MPH

t-vicky

I know that 67 Caddy was on the dash & a 68 was on the column.  Dont know about the rest of the GMs.

enjenjo

some in 68, some in 69. Trucks changed in 73 Are you sure you have everything? As far as I know, they are all the same back into the early 60s as far as the horn goes. If you are using a late wheel on a 67 or earlier column, you have to use a seperate horn contact/turn signal cam.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

GPster

I'm thinking '68. I think the new style Chevy Novas had locking columns when they started in '68 and I had a '69 that had one. One thing that might further lock in the year, To pull the key tumbler out of the early ones there was a clip coming out of the tumbler that you could depress by putting something in a slot under the steering wheel and steering lock disc. After about '75 you had to pull the steering wheel and that steering lock disc and remove a philips screw to get the key tumbler out. Remembering (maybe) the start of this question. The horn on S10s I think is the tan and light green wires in the direction signal harness. I changed the column to a tilt column on my project and I pulled the switches before I junked the rest of the old column. Looking at the switch in a box I think that's the way it is. GPster

enjenjo

The tan, and light green wires are key=in-lock warning buzzer. The horn wire is black. 68 Camaro still had the key in the dash, but most other models change.

GPster

I'll learn to quit trying to help. I thought he was still working on his S10 and was trying to gather parts going by Crosley's suggestion. I went to see if I still had an extra switch and I looked at the directional swithch and thought those wires went to some kind of feeler contact. GPster

enjenjo

Quotekind of feeler contact. GPster

They do. the contacts they go to are attached to the switch, and closed with a key in the ignition. When you open a door, that powers up a buzzer to let you know the key is in the ignition.

WZ JUNK

Maybe a picture will help.

Thanks to all of the replys so far.

John
WZ JUNK
Chopped 48 Chevy Truck

wayne petty

that steering wheel was used in a lot of various early 70's gm cars and trucks depending on the diameter...

it uses a spring and a flanged rod held into the turn signal cam to contact the  weird tin cup that is held down with 3 screws through an insulator... with a wave spring below it...

the turn signal cam below it is the same as all the others...   the pin does pop out if you depress the plastic retainer and turn it 45 degrees left.. like taking out a turn signal bulb...

i clipped a few images to help out...

oh.. don't throw out that wheel... put it back together.. market it by its diameter and color...   bag the horn contact which is the second image below..

hope this helps you ...

wayne...

ps.. and a tip... if anybody ever ends up with a broken tab that holds these horn contact in..  you can with a small sharp drill in a drill motor add to the slot that got broken out...  it will get you through in a pinch...

wayne petty

how about some more pictures...

just for everybody who reads this post...

i have been called in to put a bunch of these back together after somebody took them apart...

WZ JUNK

Wayne thanks for all the information.  That is the steering wheel assembly that I have.  

This site is incredible.

John
WZ JUNK
Chopped 48 Chevy Truck

Dusty

Hi John...
'78 - '82 GM full sized vans also had the Ign switch on the dash.  They also were tilt style, and had the cruise contol on the column.  I've managed to scrounge several of these up over the years.  I have one in the '38 Coupe, and one also in the '54 PU...

Gud Luk....
Benny Rhoads
Orange,  Texas
THE SECOND MOUSE GETS THE CHEESE

Canuck

The wiring connector may also be a guide.

From what I can find out, the 3 7/8" wide connector was used from 1969 to 1974 and the 4 1/4" wide connector used in later models without the ignition switch.

If anyone can update this, please let us all know.

Canuck
My 30 Coupe build, with a Nailhead and fenders
  UPDATED JUNE 26, 2017
http://chevelle406.wordpress.com/

WZ JUNK

Quote from: "Canuck"The wiring connector may also be a guide.

From what I can find out, the 3 7/8" wide connector was used from 1969 to 1974 and the 4 1/4" wide connector used in later models without the ignition switch.

If anyone can update this, please let us all know.

Canuck

Thanks for the info on the connector.  My problem is that someone had cut the connector off.  I added another one back.  I did notice that the wiring color code for these wires was slightly different than others I have worked on.  It was close enough that I could figure it out.

John
WZ JUNK
Chopped 48 Chevy Truck

Canuck

If it is any help, I was told that the column I have is a 72 Van (?).

The Tilt and Turn signal knobs are pebbled and rubbery.  The shift know if smooth hard plastic.

The wiring runs in a metal channel along the bottom of the column.

The wiring connector is:

G = Black
H = Light Blue
J = Dark Blue
K = Brown
L = Purple
M = Yellow
N = Green
P = White

The first 4 wire are bonded together and the second 4 are bonded together.

THis is all original GM.

Hopefully this will help with the ID.  I am going thru the same thing here.

Canuck
My 30 Coupe build, with a Nailhead and fenders
  UPDATED JUNE 26, 2017
http://chevelle406.wordpress.com/