Steering Colum wire code

Started by FAT4RD, March 30, 2009, 08:17:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FAT4RD

Would any one know the wire color code for a 79 Ford (Cougar) Steering Colum or where I can get it.

wayne petty

just curious????  does that have a conventional column.???   or does it have the half moon shaped turn signal switch that is held in place with a pair of phillips screws??  so you can get it off without pulling the wheel...???  and you push the turn signal switch to make the car go beep beep beep..

i will be back in a few hours...

FAT4RD

No one screw holds the switch in place, and the wheel has to be removed

crdnblu

I pulled this off of the Net, a page out of a wiring handbook that might give you a bit of guidance; the codes may still apply for a 79:

http://www.americanstreetmasters.com/Wiring_101_17.jpg

wayne petty

Ford 1979 turn signal wiring

outputs
Lt green and orange is the rear left turn and brake light
Orange and light blue is the right rear turn and brake light
Light green and white is the front left turn and dash indicator bulb,
White and light blue is the front right turn and dash indicator bulb.

Inputs the first two are hot at all times
Fuse #5,  15 amp  light green and red to brake light switch, light green from brake light switch to turn signal brake light input wire,

Fuse #5, 15 amp, light green and red to hazard flasher, white and red from hazard flasher to  turn signal hazard input.

Hot in run fuse #3, 20 amp purple and orange to turn signal flasher , light blue from turn signal flasher to turn signal input.

The indicator wires also show that they power up cornering lamp relays on this model..

Sometimes you can click on this link and get the image.. but az changed their web site...

http://econtent.autozone.com:24991/znetrgs/repair_guide_content/en_us/images/0900c152/80/05/55/7d/large/0900c1528005557d.gif
 hope this helps...

FAT4RD

Wayne looks like that will do it Thanks to you & crdnblu