Long shaft burr

Started by Crosley.In.AZ, March 26, 2009, 11:23:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crosley.In.AZ

I've been looking around for a long shaft burr or steel grinding.

1/4 inch diameter shaft , burr could be 3/8 or larger in diameter.

I checked on Enco.  Did a google search and found a couple  with about a 6 inch total length.  8)

What I am up to is;  the log head on my Falcon 6 cylinder engine.  I want to pull out the end cup plugs and clean up the interior of the log channel.
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

unklian

Know anyone with a line boring machine ?

How about using a long series drill ?
Or weld an extension on a jobber drill.

wayne petty

goodson.com in their catalog only list 6 inch versions...

http://www.goodson.com/contact/contact/09Catalog.pdf

irwin sells a 12 inch bit extension...  locks the bit in with set screws...   might work.. i have one.. i have never tried it with the high speed grinder and a carbide bit..

there are several ways...

goodson does sell 12 inch long mandrels that you can put some sand paper in to do deep holes..

i know that it is a lot of money..  but goodson also sells ball hones in various sizes...    working that in and out a thousand times would really clean up that log portion... it might really tear up the ball hone .. but it would work... and they should also fit in the irwin extension...

one might really want to put a metering valve in the supply to the die grinder to prevent excessive speed... with the hone...

GPster

Quote from: "unklian"Know anyone with a line boring machine ?

How about using a long series drill ?
Or weld an extension on a jobber drill.
Or an alignment reamer like they use for kingpin bushing? I used to work in a shop that had a set that were long to align/ream bushings for electric motor re-building. GPster

enjenjo

Could you mount a reamer on a shaft, chuck it in your lathe, and ream the hole with the head fixtured to the tool cross slide?
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

Crosley.In.AZ

the ends of the log manifold have cup plugs in them... about 1 inch in diameter.

i think the interior of the log head is larger than  1 inch.  I was looking to keep the core plugs the same diameter.

Perhaps I can machine up an extender tool for the burr to reach into the manifold further?
Tony

tomslik

hey cros, i have a roloc disc on a 12" bit extension BUT i use a piece of 3/8" steel tube (fuel/brake line stuff) over the shaft extension so i can hold on to it.
no reason you can't chuck a die grinder bit in it and go to town...
The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it\'s still on my list

Crosley.In.AZ

Quote from: "tomslik"hey cros, i have a roloc disc on a 12" bit extension BUT i use a piece of 3/8" steel tube (fuel/brake line stuff) over the shaft extension so i can hold on to it.
no reason you can't chuck a die grinder bit in it and go to town...

yep,

i found several extensions  online listings   that would fill the bill for this.. I never thought of an extension.  thanks.
Tony

chimp koose

Enjenjo, I was thinking similarly. If you use a single point cutter mounted on a shaft chucked in the lathe and supported in the tailstock at the other end,you could bore the passage out properly. an angle plate bolted to the carriage could hold the head to position it exactly where you want it.I dont think you could hone or ream the passage effectively because I think it would still be as cast  in there. Hones and reamers should only be used to enlarge machined surfaces.This method has been used to bore blower cases as you also have control over the centre to centre distance in that application .Remember to use a negative rake on the cutter as you are cutting cast iron.Crosley ,if you lived closer to my shop I would do that job for the fun of it.A friend of mine did an engine like yours years ago with side draft webers on it in a 65 falcon. The car was featured with another friends falcon in ford power magazine about 20 yrs ago.His combo had troubles with exhaust heat soaking the carbs.

Crosley49

Tony
  You need to use extrudehone dot com on your intake.                                                    
                           John

Leon

Quote from: "Crosley49"Tony
  You need to use extrudehone dot com on your intake.                                                    
                           John
Have you seen what they charge?  :shock:  :shock:
I was looking at using them to do the intake ports on the head for my Honda engine, and it was around $1000