Tach voltage

Started by Inprimer, March 13, 2009, 11:08:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Inprimer

Tach question: does a tachometer has to be a 6 V or a12V or does it make a difference I see the light bulb issue but can't really find any info if it has to run strictly on 6 or 12  volts TIA The question came up in conversation since my friend has a 6v sys. and supposedly a 6V tach is wayy up there in price compared to a standard 12V

enjenjo

Yes it makes a difference. The tach won't see what voltage the ignition is working on, the signal is not voltage sensitive. but the tach itself is designed to work on 12 volts, and 6 volts is just not enough to make it work. So when you buy a 6 volt tach, it includes an invertor to make it work.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

Inprimer

Quote from: "enjenjo"Yes it makes a difference. The tach won't see what voltage the ignition is working on, the signal is not voltage sensitive. but the tach itself is designed to work on 12 volts, and 6 volts is just not enough to make it work. So when you buy a 6 volt tach, it includes an invertor to make it work.
thanks enjenjo,next stupid question can I go to Radio shack or elsewhere and get an inverter(?) without breaking the bank?

enjenjo

Quote from: "Inprimer"
Quote from: "enjenjo"Yes it makes a difference. The tach won't see what voltage the ignition is working on, the signal is not voltage sensitive. but the tach itself is designed to work on 12 volts, and 6 volts is just not enough to make it work. So when you buy a 6 volt tach, it includes an invertor to make it work.
thanks enjenjo,next stupid question can I go to Radio shack or elsewhere and get an inverter(?) without breaking the bank?

Yes, but just make sure it has enough wattage for your tach. Make sure it's a constant voltage invertor.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

The Paisano

A tach works off ingition side of coil circuit.You can tap into that circuit if need to to make it work.If you have a 12v circuit.thats what you have to have to make it work.Hook bulb to dimmer light circuit with the rest of your gauge lights.
Paisano

The Paisano

An inverter won't kill your pocket,but if you have a 12 volt set up and and a 12 volt tach,you don't need the inverter.Enjenjo is right 6/12v changeover. Don't install more wiring than you need to.Keep it neat and clean,to prevent future problemos.
Paisano

TagMan

Serge,
I haven't seen you post in a long time.  How's life in AZ?  Do you get back to Rochester in the summer?  If so, stop by and I'll buy.
-Bob

Inprimer

Quote from: "TagMan"Serge,
I haven't seen you post in a long time.  How's life in AZ?  Do you get back to Rochester in the summer?  If so, stop by and I'll buy.
-Bob
Bob, life is good, my wife Linda was there last week to finish up loose ends . Finally own no prop in NY state  LOL I've been busy getting a lot of stuff done,as a pool for Linda and we are working on the landscaping in other words moving rocks around. You should visit AZ some time its really great out here, esp if you are into cars tons of them Funny that you saw me on here I was thinking about you the other day, there is a red/white 55 Buick with a nailhead I'll try to get a pix of it. Been working getting the garage set up, am buying a Miller 140 next week and as soon as the house chores are done Im getting a 4 post lift. Our newest addition is a 52 Stude from Cali no rust, V8 3 on the tree w/overdrive needs brakes but runs like new 40psi oil and a good clutch needs an interior typical out here in the s/west. I miss a lot of you guys in Roc but I have to say its relly great to be able to drive my vert about 359 days a yr, it sometimes rains out here, but these folks have no consept of east coast rain LOL welcome aboard you'll find thats it's laid back here wothout the BS and egos thats on the Hamb

TagMan

Glad to hear things are goping well for you.  Tradin' snow storms for sand storms, eh?  Sure can't blame you.

My wife's been wanting to take a cross-country trip in the '37 coupe to Texas and then on to California to visit my sister.  Mayb I'll stop by and check out your area.  We've been talking about escaping from New York before it mplodes.........