Harborfreight Stud Guns

Started by 2rods, March 06, 2009, 12:46:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

2rods

http://search.harborfreight.com/cpisearch/web/search.do?keyword=stud+gun&Submit=Go

Are any of these worth getting for a home hobby guy. I don't think they would be good to earn a living but for occasional pulling may be OK? Anyone tried either of these guns?

wayne petty

i have been wanting one of those also.... but not just for pulling dents...  several companys sell the weld on studs that have a flange on them... to replace missing trim mount studs...

there are also ways to clamp rows of those studs to pull creases out...

crdnblu

You might want to check your MIG welder supplier; some MIG guns will take a stud-setting nozzle.  For my MIG, it's worked very well, when used in conjunction w/ my Eastwood stud puller, for sheet metal dent removal.

ONE37TUDOR

I have one and it works OK but I find that it does not weld the studs on very tight and most of the time they will have to be redone several times to get them to work right.
I am not a body man and this is the only one of these I have ever used so I really don't have much to judge it by?

Scott...
SCOTT,  slow moving, slow talking, no typing SCOTT

crdnblu

I originally had that problem, but then I turned up my heat settings for this application; no problems since.

2rods

Can you turn up the heat on that harbor freight gun?

crdnblu

Sorry, I mis-spoke; my reference was to turning up the heat settings on my MIG, when using my stud-setter nozzle.  I have no experience w/ the HF stud welder.

2rods

What make of mig do you have, and how does the stud deal work? Mine is a Lincoln and I have different spot settings but how would I attach a stud to nozzle to make it work? Maybe you could post a pic of nozzle or the attachment? Thanks.

enjenjo

No personal experience, but I have been told the higher amperage one works pretty good. for a limited use, I might try one. If I was going to use it much, I would buy an american made commercial model.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

OldSub

I have the Harbor Freight stud gun.  I can't compare it to another because its the only one I've ever used.  I used it to repair a damaged fender and was not thrilled at the results, though really it did rough the fender close enough to do the job.

My subject was a modern car with very thin skin and I found the studs often created holes rather than cut off cleanly.

It could just be my inexperience and likely I will use it again.

Steve@OldSub.com
www.OldSub.com . www.MaxwellGarage.com . www.OldGasTowRigs.com

crdnblu

My MIG is an older HTP MIG 120.  the attached web page shows a photo of the nozzle (now discontinued for my welder)  [Nozzle "A"]
The stud small end slips in at an angle into the nozzle, the head resting against the sheet metal, then the MIG welding wire welds the stud to the sheet metal.....

http://www.htpweld.com/products/mig_gun_parts/tweco1.html

2rods

Thanks. Kinda hokey. Probably that why its discontinued. Think I'd rather have the real thing.

crdnblu

Possibly true, but for a home builder, it's worked very well for me in the limited number of times that I've used it.

Crosley.In.AZ

I heard tomslik  was using the HF stud gun on himself.. it did not work

8)
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

enjenjo

Quote from: "crdnblu"Possibly true, but for a home builder, it's worked very well for me in the limited number of times that I've used it.

Looking at that picture, it wouldn't be hard to make on for about any MIG welder.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.