Powerglide transmission

Started by GPster, February 25, 2009, 11:16:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GPster

At the start of this idea the thought was offered that this vehicle as a drag car would be offered to various RRT groups around the country for their "Shot" with it. Each group would be responcible for the engine they would decide to run. Further in these thoughts it was mentioned that a Powerglide transmission would suit the purpose and that those transmissions could be adapted to quite a few different engines. I see this as a possible stumbling block and I think my thoughts need to be set straight on this. Does the idea that each group would be responcible for the engine they decide to use mean that they would be expected to mate it to the Powerglide transmission or are they responcible for the engine/transmission? I invision that maybe some group might want to run one of the various Ford or Chrysler engines. My checking shows that although those engines are adaptable to the powerglide transmission that adaption could run in excess of $300.00. Yes these adapters are SFI safe which is a necessary item but that initial cost might scare a group from even wanting to try. I imagine this whole idea as a way to work together and have fun. If some group has access to a running engine and they want to play in the 13 second bracket that money might scare them away at the start. I don't mean to cast any doubt about the plus factors of a powerglide transmission but I think  maybe some clarification might need to be made. It would seem a little friendlier to me if we first thought about a trans blanket to travel with the car rather than an implied idea that this is the transmission that you'll have to hook up to. There is always someting I miss so someone usually has to tell me what I've missed. GPster

enjenjo

They would not be required to run the  Glide, but a rebuild of a trans would cost more than an SFI housing. Plus for many applications, a plate adapter would couple the engine to the housing that is there.

By the way, Joe dropped off a Glide this morning, so that's one more part we have.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

Crosley.In.AZ

This post  gets  a little long winded.

not to throw gasoline on the fire;

the torque converter will cost a good chunk of  cash  too.

if you use an adapter plate or bell housing that bolts  to the front area pump on the glide transmission you must have a torque converter with the proper spacing set up and bolt pattern for the flywheel used.

Also... plan on needing a scatter shield for the glide too... plus the bell housing piece

If you use a "different" non common engine setup.. the cost goes up more.  the converter ( if used) must be built to fit the application.   Crank snout fitment , depth of the converter for adapter plate.... if used.

If the group does not have the 300 bucks ( just a figure for reference) towards the  transmission  or engine into the car ......  I'd re-think the plan.

You have entry fees at various tracks , buy the fuel ( race gas?)... tow rig gasoline.

It costs me 100.00 bucks to hook up my trailer , pull the 1962 Falcon to the race track and get inside the gate.  That includes every thing for the tow truck (gas) to the gasoline for the Falcon, with  gate entry for a test - tune day at the track.... and then you gotta eat and drink something.

Entering a regular race can cost more $

8)
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

enjenjo

I for one am well aware of the cost. 20 years ago I figured $200 for a day at the races if nothing broke. I doubt it's cheaper now.

I got the NHRA rule book today, reading it, for the ET we are building towards, we will need an engine diaper, SFI bellhousing, SFI flex plate, trans blanket, SFI damper, as a minimum.

For driver safety, a cage, good belts, approved and dated, full face helmet, approved, a compliant seat, and possibly a fire resistant jacket and gloves.

If we decide to go LS racing, there is more. In any case, it's about $2000 in safety equipment.

Minimum frame material is 2x2 by 120 tubing I have some 1 1/2 x 3 by 120, I am checking to see if that is legal, it should be.

There are cage kits available, but for LSR the tubing has to be 1 3/4" minumum vesus 1 1/2 for NHRA. And depending on the SCTA class we are in, we may need a funny car cage, but that can be retrofitted.

There is little chance the car will be ready to race any time this year, for several reasons, not the least of which is finances. At this point, we are maxed out on the initial investment, until we can peddle some of the unneeded parts, and get further investment, we will be moving slow.

purplepickup

I missed the ET range the car is planned for.  It sounds like you're talking quicker than 11 seconds.  The rules are a lot more liberal over 11.49....and cheaper to comply.  Runs in the high 11's and low 12's can be a lot of fun.  

It might be worth considering a cheaper, but safe car without gobs of horsepower considering there aren't a lot of supporters right now. The initial cost would be lower, less costly equipment would be needed, and the breakage/wreckage factor would be lower.  We'd still have the fun and camaraderie of building and running it.  Upgrades can always be added later as needed when financing permits.
George

Leon

The same goes for LSR, an engine of 3 liter or less in a gas comp coupe class would keep the safety equipment requirements down a little since records for those classes are less than 175.

enjenjo

If you want to aim for an 11.49 car, it's fine with me. There is no great disadvantage to having a slower car as long as it's consistant.

Crosley.In.AZ

as mentioned for ET  specs and safety:

My 1962 Falcon inspects to 11.50 ET with only a standard OE seat belt and a Helmet with Snell 2000 rating.  This is at Speed World on west side of town.

That may be different for a modified body car.  As I recall  single layer safety jacket would be required with a modified firewall
Tony

enjenjo

Quote from: "Crosley"as mentioned for ET  specs and safety:

My 1962 Falcon inspects to 11.50 ET with only a standard OE seat belt and a Helmet with Snell 2000 rating.  This is at Speed World on west side of town.

That may be different for a modified body car.  As I recall  single layer safety jacket would be required with a modified firewall

Correct, since this is a modified body, they demand a higher level of safety.

GPster

Quote from: "enjenjo"Correct, since this is a modified body, they demand a higher level of safety.
Thanks for that clarification. I was thinking that the SFI bellhousing/adapter for a powerglide was a little rich spending. Maybe if we started out a little slower we could save money on the "go fast" items. Can "blankets" be used? Are we going to have to build a floor? Do we need to get the transmission ahead of the driver? GPster

enjenjo

Yes we will need a blanket. Yes we will need a floor. No, the trans does not have to be ahead of the driver.

Crosley.In.AZ

if desired............ the bolt bell housing unit can be a multi pattern with the BOP and chevrolet pattern on same bell.  that would provide more engine options that bolt in  easier

If we are thinking 'cheap or not at all ' on the safety items , I will back out of the project now.
Tony

Fat Cat

Quote from: "Crosley"If we are thinking 'cheap or not at all ' on the safety items , I will back out of the project now.

Tony that is not even an option. The car will set before it will run down the track with fewer than the minimum safety hardware. I also would not be a party to a project that did not provide for optimum driver safety. I also know that when the sand rail the Enjenjo built took on a huge tree at speed he was quite satisfied that his craftsmanship was not a contributing factor to the injuries experienced by the driver. So I would expect that he feels the same was as you and I.

GPster

Quote from: "Crosley"If we are thinking 'cheap or not at all ' on the safety items , I will back out of the project now.
Every time I open my mouth I get mis-understood. I tried not to ever give the impression that I didn't think we needed to run illegal or un-safe. I was trying to find out if a "blanket" could be used instead of the adapting different engines to a single choice of transmission. GPster

enjenjo

Quote from: "GPster"
Every time I open my mouth I get mis-understood. I tried not to ever give the impression that I didn't think we needed to run illegal or un-safe. I was trying to find out if a "blanket" could be used instead of the adapting different engines to a single choice of transmission. GPster

Let me try to clarify this. As I read the rules, we will need a blanket with any auto trans. we will need a blowproof bell with any stick shift. And if an adapter is used with an auto trans, it must be SFI approved.