Tonneau covers

Started by Charlie Chops 1940, February 23, 2009, 11:13:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Inprimer

Quote from: "WINGNUTZ"Could you show me the 10-32 inserts and how they work?
look at Smallparts.com internal nutserts are installed somewhat like a pop rivet, a special tool is needed . think of it  as a thin barrel with interior threads. I installed all my fenders with them (37 Chevy)  I glassed the rest of the barrel on the backside in my case. havent moved/vibrated in 10 yrs.

Charlie Chops 1940

Look at AVK Industrial Products site. I use the A-L Series. The installation tool looks sorta like a pop rivet tool, each thread size has a mandrel the threads in the tool and then insert threads on the mandrel. Each insert has a specific hole size. Place the insert in the hole and squeeze.

Charlie

A good friend will come and bail you out of jail...but, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying. "Wow...that was fun!"

Poster geezer for retirement....

A Hooligan!

river1

Quote from: "Charlie Chops 1940"Look at AVK Industrial Products site. I use the A-L Series. The installation tool looks sorta like a pop rivet tool, each thread size has a mandrel the threads in the tool and then insert threads on the mandrel. Each insert has a specific hole size. Place the insert in the hole and squeeze.

Charlie

http://www.avkfasteners.com/products.php

shows the different kinds of insert. click on th A-L series for more discription

later jim
Most people have a higher than average number of legs.

purplepickup

Quote from: "Charlie Chops 1940"...Each of the roll bar tubes have a sewn collar and then a slotted flap with velcro...
Charlie
I noticed those.....nice.  

You can see them installed in Charlie's first post pics.  Here's one.
George

WINGNUTZ

So does this insert countersink the female part of the snap???

Thanks for the cool tech post and information!!!

river1

Quote from: "WINGNUTZ"So does this insert countersink the female part of the snap???

click on the link in my above post and then click on the A-K series, they maybe what you need?

later jim

Charlie Chops 1940

The insert is flush with the body. The tonneau snap assy has a 10-32 screw integral to the bottom and a phillips head inside the snap. The bottom of the snap  screws down flush on the nutsert. Other snap assy's are available with a sheet metal screw or the can be pop riveted - there may be even more types. I didn't know the 10-32 screw type were even out there until I consulted with the canvas guy.

Charlie

Quote from: "WINGNUTZ"So does this insert countersink the female part of the snap???

A good friend will come and bail you out of jail...but, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying. "Wow...that was fun!"

A Hooligan!

WINGNUTZ

So technically these aren't snaps but screws that have to be screwed and unscrewed each time to install and remove the toneau cover???

river1

Quote from: "WINGNUTZ"So technically these aren't snaps but screws that have to be screwed and unscrewed each time to install and remove the toneau cover???

the way i read it the male part of the snap has screw threads that are used to install them.

charlie will correct me if i'm wrong

later jim

C9

C9

Sailing the turquoise canyons of the Arizona desert.

Charlie Chops 1940

The part that attaches to the car - whether screwed or riveted - is the male portion of a snap assembly. The female portion is installed in the tonneau cover. One then snaps and unsnap the cover as desired.

Charlie

A Hooligan!