frame

Started by enjenjo, February 21, 2009, 09:20:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

enjenjo

We need to start getting a design for the frame down on paper. Then we can start gathering materials for it.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

Leon

One thing we might want to consider is some type of drawing software that we can all use to look at drawings, so as pieces are being made in different locations it will all come together.  I don't know how good it is but I was looking at a free package offered by google that would allow all of us to download and look at drawings.  There may be better stuff out there, just an idea without spending any money. http://sketchup.google.com/

Crosley.In.AZ

as I recall parts  planning  list is:

9 inch ford differential

4 link drag race suspension

coil overs = be that a real coil over or the larger  coil springs with inner regular shock dampers

Front suspension is:

cross spring?

Tube axle =  straight , curved or dropped?

I would gather parts to determine heights of chassis needs.
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

enjenjo

We have a pair of real rear coilovers on the way. We also have the axle brackets for a 4 link suspension. We also have a 9" housing, it will have to be narrowed.

We have a pair of 10" aluminum wheels for the rear for drag racing. I have a pair of 4 1/2" rear wheels we can use for mockup for LSR. That way it will be ready for both types of racing without a rework.

For the front axle, we have a straight axle. If I can promote them, I am thinking torsion bars on the front. changing the spring rate on a cross spring is not as accurate as bars.

We have been offered a glide trans, stocker, needs rebuilt for racing.

I am not user friendly on CAD so somebody else will have to tell me if that program will work.

I picked up the body today, I may have some of the unneeded parts sold to offset the price. as it stands right now, we have $1000 in it. Pictures as soon as it warms up a but and I can pile the parts together to look like a car.

We have been talking a 120" wheelbase, we can discuss that some more.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

Leon

One thought on the design, if a couple pieces of flat material with a row of holes in each piece were welded in the area where the tranny and engine mounts go, that would allow different combinations to be bolted in by just fabricating a mount to bolt to that strip.  This would eliminate drilling holes in the frame or welding to it for each different drivetrain.

Crosley.In.AZ

One other item is the drive shaft and safety loop for it.

the safety loop must be at a certain area of the front U-joint.  changing engines and trannys may create the need for a different loop location.

If we set the rear end and drive shaft  up with 1330 or 1350 u-joints.... the yokes for the drive shaft would be easier to change for a Ford to GM yoke swap out if a person wants to.

Use the same drive shaft & safety loop....  change the yoke and mount the engine - trannys as needed?

just an idea
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

Leon

There would be several items like these that would require adjustable mounting, and to accommodate various electronics packages some mounting tabs in the cockpit would allow a tray to be swapped out for different applications.  Other misc. mounting rails, tabs, etc. would allow room for nitrous, firebottles, or any other item that would be needed to be bolted in.  Also mounts front and rear for ballast would be nice.