NHRA Reunion in Bowling Green

Started by freddrew, February 18, 2009, 08:22:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

freddrew

I have joined up with Street Rodder Magazine for the Road Tour Hot Rod Reunion to St. Ignace.  I'm a Street Rodder and know very little of the NHRA other than the Drag Racing.  Has anyone gone to one of the Reunions at Bowling Green Kentucky?  If so, can you describe the event to me.  I found the cost for the weekend pass is $55.00 before May 29th., but that is about all.  Is there special parking for Street Rods and Customs?  Please help!

Thanks Fred
Fred

HotRodLadyCrusr

I've gone to just about all of them there, missed last year as I did a couple of Fathers Day events here in Michigan with my Dad.  Anyway, the event is one of my all time favorites.  The venue is perfect, lots of grassy, treed room for hot rods, customs, streetrods, etc.  There are lots of asphalt paved lanes for cruzn on Friday and Sunday.  Saturday it gets alittle too crowded for that.

As a spectator you are right up front next to the race cars.  The stands are covered and just feet away from dragstrip.  You can walk the pits and talk to the friendest, most downt o earth race car drivers.

Biggest issue will be traffic.  The main drag of Bowling Green where all the hotel and motels are gets pretty congested and the traffic to get in and out of Beech Bend can get alittle backed up.  Just be prepared.

The St Ignace event on the other hand I won't bother going to again.  Way too many first generation Camaro's and mini-trucks there now.  Event used to be a blast.  Has really gone downhill over the last few years.

See ya at Beech Bend!

Oh yeah, you'll have fun on the tour, Jerry Dixey's so dreamy :wink:
Your topless crusn buddy, Denise

Looking for old good for nothing flathead heads to use for garden project.

phat46

Fred If yer gonna race the '47 remember to take out the 500# of supplies in the bed, if you race the RPU remember to put a V-8 in it... :lol:
Where doe the tour run from/to St. Igance? Are you running with a group?
I have heard the same as Denise about St. Ignace, but maybe if the Power Tour is going there there might be a better showing of rods.

HotRodLadyCrusr

Quote from: "phat46"but maybe if the Power Tour is going there there might be a better showing of rods.

Yeah, except for the fact it's not Hot Rod Mag's Power Tour, it's Streetrodder's Road Tour, the one Jerry Dixey leads all over the country all summer long.

I have yet to ever do a "road tour" with Jerry but he's fun to hang out with at events and chat with on the phone so I can only imagine the tour will be alot of fun for those tagging along.
Your topless crusn buddy, Denise

Looking for old good for nothing flathead heads to use for garden project.

phat46

Quote from: "HotRodLadyCrusr"
Quote from: "phat46"but maybe if the Power Tour is going there there might be a better showing of rods.

Yeah, except for the fact it's not Hot Rod Mag's Power Tour, it's Streetrodder's Road Tour, the one Jerry Dixey leads all over the country all summer long.

I have yet to ever do a "road tour" with Jerry but he's fun to hang out with at events and chat with on the phone so I can only imagine the tour will be alot of fun for those tagging along.

Even Better!!!

freddrew

Thanks for the info.  It sounds like a good time and I will be there.  And yes Jerry is a lot of fun to run with.  I have done 2 Road Tours with him and the 2003 Road Tour as well.

Fred Drew
Fred

freddrew

Quote from: "phat46"Fred If yer gonna race the '47 remember to take out the 500# of supplies in the bed, if you race the RPU remember to put a V-8 in it... :lol:
Where doe the tour run from/to St. Igance? Are you running with a group?
I have heard the same as Denise about St. Ignace, but maybe if the Power Tour is going there there might be a better showing of rods.

I'll be taking the 29 Ford RPU and Tear Drop Trailer.  I will not be racing it, even though people need a good laugh in these trying times.  You should buy the 55 Pontiac so that you will have something to do in your spare time.  Ha Ha.  
Fred Drew
Fred

Flipper

Quote from: "freddrew"I have joined up with Street Rodder Magazine for the Road Tour Hot Rod Reunion to St. Ignace.  I'm a Street Rodder and know very little of the NHRA other than the Drag Racing.  Has anyone gone to one of the Reunions at Bowling Green Kentucky?  If so, can you describe the event to me.  I found the cost for the weekend pass is $55.00 before May 29th., but that is about all.  Is there special parking for Street Rods and Customs?  Please help!

Thanks Fred

Is the $55 for car registration?  or spectator tickets?

freddrew

Quote from: "Flipper"
Quote from: "freddrew"I have joined up with Street Rodder Magazine for the Road Tour Hot Rod Reunion to St. Ignace.  I'm a Street Rodder and know very little of the NHRA other than the Drag Racing.  Has anyone gone to one of the Reunions at Bowling Green Kentucky?  If so, can you describe the event to me.  I found the cost for the weekend pass is $55.00 before May 29th., but that is about all.  Is there special parking for Street Rods and Customs?  Please help!

Thanks Fred

Is the $55 for car registration?  or spectator tickets?

That is the price for Adult Spectator Weekend pass.  I couldn't find anywhere that you can register your Street Rod.  Do you know if there is a place and if so, where is it and how much does it cost?

Thanks Fred
Fred