Ford Cast Iron cruise-O matic transmission

Started by Crosley.In.AZ, January 30, 2009, 08:29:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

38HAULR

Interesting read on this thread.   Powerglides only used one pump from around 64 onwards, the rear pump version had the stumpy extension housing similar to the cast iron glide.  I found this out when I was given a low mileage late Glide that had a cracked housing after the vehicle was  T boned .  I had a tired 62 version,and thought it clever to just  to strip it and use just  the main housing to get the damaged newer box back into service,. in my newly under construction 34 Ford.  After the "rebuild" the box had no reverse, after some reading, I lifted the vehicle,removed the tailshaft,and extension housing  and then started a night  of inspecting  and comparing the capilliaries  on each housing behind the extension housings , I found the discarded latter casing had a small hole in one spot,after depthing it, and sizing it ,I used a drill with a limiting sleeve ,sat under the vehicle and drilled.  After refitting the ext housing, fired her up, and was pleased to have reverse,looks like when they did away with the rear pump,an alternate path for fluid utilising the front pump was designed.   Most early auto manuals do also warn on towing automatic vehicles,speed and distance limitations apply,safer to remove the tailshaft. I did this when towing a Ford Customline some 140 miles on my own with an "A" frame nearly 39 yrs ago.  The powerglide fiasco was 1976 ,and still remember it with amusement today ......Frank.

Crosley.In.AZ

I've heard all the comments on when the rear pump went away from the aluminum power glide. A Certain year it stopped, the 27 spline(fine)  output shaft never had a rear pump, etc ... I'm not sure.

I know I worked on a couple of original 67 Camaros with glides in them. They had rear pumps on the glides.
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

The Paisano

Sorry Tony,must have been having a Senior Moment

The Flyin *-aka "The Paisano"
Paisano

BFS57

Hello;
I remember having to rebuild one of these that was in my 67 Galaxie 500! It wasn't too hard except that we had to go back to the supply whse to get all the right stuff as it seems that the trans was a culmination of a couple different models and we were told that Ford used what it had to put some together.
All I know is when we were finished it worked flawlessly!
It was an oily, oily, mess to do! if you can picture two guys in a two car garage with normal tools! I didn't think we would ever get it back together but my friend knew what he was doing and pressed on till the end!

Bruce

wayne petty

in case you are wondering... seems that realestatemk3 is curious if they have any 65 Tbird transmission at the closed shop...

dragrcr50

Quote from: "wayne petty"in case you are wondering... seems that realestatemk3 is curious if they have any 65 Tbird transmission at the closed shop...

i just saw that,  ill check with larry and see........sam
ownerWoodard racing and hot rod shop in mustang oklahoma. My  specialty is gassers &  nostalgia race cars , love the salt,