engine identification

Started by enjenjo, January 27, 2009, 01:24:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

enjenjo

On this pickup I am working on, it has an EFI 5.0 in it. My guess is early 90s pickup or van. Any idea where to find identification numbers or codes?
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

wayne petty

any emissions labels??? on the valve covers.. or production stickers on the end of the valve covers??  both of those can be decoded.. if not.. block casting number and julian date...  maybe the dates off the head...

part numbers off the ecm...

is it a bunch of random stuff thrown together or does it look like one motor and harness...    oh.. there may also be a tag on the harness near the ecm..

car 5.0s will have a single throttle body.. trucks a dual ...

grey injectors are usually regular 5.0's ...  yellow HO 5.0s

60 pin ecms will be eec 4... 80 pins usually eec 5

there is one other thing..  some have a GT stamped in on the left end of the cylinder head.. above the exhaust port...   some also use a 3/4" reach  spark plug also... the have the first threads bored out so short regular spark plugs will not catch in the threads...

enjenjo

The number on the paper tag on the valve cover. Build date 01-19-95 ND  5K360AA  769147  524  CEPI

wayne petty

with that number you should be able to get what chassis it was originally installed in... you  might also want to see if you can get the numbers off the ecm...  i take it that you need the original info so you can program the scan tool to read data or do tests...

95 models   just might have an obd2 interface ... some did some did not..

if it does have one.. and the previous installers did not disable it..  you might get a what car or truck it was in from that...

my ford buddy said that the label info can be sorted out at the ford parts department...  locally...

kb426

If the build date is correct, It doesn't use eec iv stuff. It takes simple changouts to convert but the normal rule is that after 1992, the computers changed some. Eec v is single fuel line system where eec iv is dual line. The 1993 Cobra is still eec iv but has different programing in the ecu. No one I'm around mentions using 1994 parts so I'm not much help. The intake on the last years of 5.0's is a shorter height and supposed to be worth about 10 hp. less. Is there something specific you're searching for?
TEAM SMART

enjenjo

He wants to chip the computer. It was supposed to be a Lightening engine, but it doesn't have a lot of the right parts for that. I suspect it is just a norma; F150 motor. It's hard to tell, because this engine came out of Ford through their testing program by way of a tech school. It has the truck dual throttle body intake, and yellow injectors. I'll try to find the numbers on the computer.

wayne petty

look around... see if the obd2 connnector got installed... that might make it much easier to work with...

could it be a 351W????   take a look at this wiki

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_Lightning

there may be pictures and more specs at the bottom

lean over the left fender.. look for the tiny gt cast into the left top end of the cylinder head..