Questions on block sanding

Started by stouchton, January 23, 2009, 11:54:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

stouchton

Curious if anyone has a ballpark idea on how many hours are typically spent block sanding a 67 Camaro.

The car is being done to "show" quality, by a SEMA top 12 painter.  So by that I mean it is being done top notch.

My wallet is starting to cry a little, and I am just looking for some comfort by someone in the know saying:  about X hours would cover it.

Thanks for any input

Scott

phat rat

Quote from: "stouchton"Curious if anyone has a ballpark idea on how many hours are typically spent block sanding a 67 Camaro.

The car is being done to "show" quality, by a SEMA top 12 painter.  So by that I mean it is being done top notch.

My wallet is starting to cry a little, and I am just looking for some comfort by someone in the know saying:  about X hours would cover it.

Thanks for any input

Scott

Can't help you with estimate on number of hours. But look at it this way. If you want top notch show quality and went to a top notch guy, don't try second guess him on what he's doing.
Some days it\'s not worth chewing through the restraints.

stouchton

[/quote]

Can't help you with estimate on number of hours. But look at it this way. If you want top notch show quality and went to a top notch guy, don't try second guess him on what he's doing.[/quote]

Thanks - and I do appreciate the viewpoint.  I have full trust in the fellow doing the work, and understand that it is almost impossible to predict the amount of time it takes for perfection.

I just can't help by getting emotionally hooked to the money flowing out of the wallet - kind of a psychological thing.  If someone in the know said 100+ hours, I would be smiling.  Kind of curious as to what others have experienced.

2rods

At least 100. How many so far and how far along is he?

stouchton

Currently 126 hours into the priming and block sanding.

After body work was completed (170 hours, no putty - all steel), the car was prepped and primed with hi-build.  Car was then block sanded, touched up, and primed again.  Right now it is about 75% complete the final block sanding prior to primer before paint.  I figured they will spend another 10 to 20 hours getting it ready for paint.

Thanks for your opinion on 100+ hours.  

For those of you curious here is the breakdown:

170 hours - body work
150 hours prime and block sand to perfection (estimate)
100 hours paint (including "ghosted" candy deck stripes) (estimate)

About 5 weeks worth of work - putting it that way makes it sound real reasonable.

2rods

Sounds about right. Have about 600 into my 35 ford sedan which is much bigger.

Mikej

The guys on Overhauling do it in a couple hours but they're not getting paid............. :lol:               Sorry that didn't help

stouchton

kb426

Wish I could help you. My projects have 3 layers on primer and block sanding and they're not perfect. I don't know how you can judge someone else's work just by the hours without seeing the beginning and the end.
TEAM SMART

stouchton

Quote from: "kb426"Wish I could help you. My projects have 3 layers on primer and block sanding and they're not perfect. I don't know how you can judge someone else's work just by the hours without seeing the beginning and the end.

It actually was not about judging the work, and I know the condition of the car has a lot to do with the block sanding and additional primer layers.

I was just looking for what other people have experienced.  Hell, I'm spending some serious bucks and guess I need a little hand holding!

2rods

We are only talking about 1 kind of quality. Perfect! It takes many hours and stouchton is on the right track. The amount of hours is overwhelming but it will be done and you will be happy.

wayne petty

decades ago when i worked for a cad restorer...   once we got a spray booth...  not an easy thing here in los angeles... the body guy would take a cad in... close the doors and we would not see that car for several weeks to a month... then it could come out.. get put in a plastic covered tent... while another car went in.. then back in for the clear coat...

everything was as perfect as you could get...  mirror smooth for those 12'+ long quarter panels..

i worked in another shop...  where the body guys would fill, sand, fill , sand, fill , sand then throw in primer to their circle of wasting time on the same exact square foot...

what kind of job did you ask for...  a show car finish... or just a high end paint job.. or just a decent paint job...

the first couple of posts in this thread i thought was about sanding the engine block...  i was thinking of how much sand paper it would take to sand the sharp corners off the block.. when it should  have been done with die grinders with carbide bits and sand paper rolls...

then i thought way back... to the big boat...  104'  footer... fiberglass over everything from the rub rail up... filled with resin mixed with filler... sanded... primed.. sanded.. aircraft white epoxy over everything...

that white is so bright... even 30 years later.. you can still see it on google earth.. even with the boat sitting on the bottom of santa barbara bay...

enjenjo

It would depend on how many patches were installed in it, but 100+ hours would be on the low end for a great paint job. You have to remember, the first 90 percent will take less time than the last 10 percent.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

stouchton

Quote from: "enjenjo"It would depend on how many patches were installed in it, but 100+ hours would be on the low end for a great paint job. You have to remember, the first 90 percent will take less time than the last 10 percent.

Patches were minimal - all new GM sheet metal on the front end, new GM door skin, but some touchup on someone else's welding job on the quarters and a repair to the roof near the windshield.  Car was an everyday driver for about 30 years, so it had its share of road scars.

My wallet emotionally rocked me - feeling much better now that you guys have shared some of you assessments.

I picked this guy before I knew he was a SEMA top 12 - that is just icing on the cake.  His paint work is absolutely beautiful and I was surprised by the size of their shop - probably 40+ cars in various states of restoration.  Since it is a "one stop" shop (body, painting, electrical and mechanical) I of course decided to do more with the car than I intended (as in more Hp and Torque) - which of course costs more.

Thanks to everyone that responded - I really appreciate your feedback.

river1

sounds like it is going to be a cool ride!!

any pics of it? we like in progress pics too!!

later jim
Most people have a higher than average number of legs.