Do I need a new starter?

Started by 48builder, January 20, 2009, 04:51:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

48builder

So I finished up with my borrowed Lincoln SP 125 welder. Man, I love that thing. Got the new brackets for my bumper brackets all welded in solid. I took it back to my friend and then went to the gas staion. My '95 Saturn SL1 (love this little car) wouldn't start. When I turned the key, al I got was a huming sound which I assume is the fuel pump. Luckily it is a standard, and luckily I was parked where I could get it rolling.

I got it home and checked my battery cables at the battery and they were a little loose. I had recently put a new battery in and must not have tightened them enough. Tried to start and still no good. So I crawled underneath and taped the starter with a hammer and then it started right up. I have started it again a few times and all is well. Is it possible that the por battery cable connections caused the solenoid to get stuck, and by tapping it that it is OK now, or should I pony up the $150 bucks and a few skinned knuckles and replace it now?

Thanks

Walt
'48 Chevy Custom sedan in progress-Z28 LT1 drivetrain, chopped, shortened, too many other body mods to list
'39 Chevy driver

wayne petty

having to knock on the starter is a sign that the brushes are bad... knocking hard on these will shatter the magnets inside... at least it looks like that type..

phat46

My experience with starters is that when you have to tap on them to get them to work indicates the beginning of the end. It might work several times, but when it finally does quit completely you will be in a bad spot.  :lol:

48builder

Yeah, I suppose you are right. It started right up this morning, but who knows how long that will continue. Looks like I'll be crawling on the cold floor tonight.

Thanks

Walt
'48 Chevy Custom sedan in progress-Z28 LT1 drivetrain, chopped, shortened, too many other body mods to list
'39 Chevy driver

57larry

cars never break down in warm weather

river1

Quote from: "57larry"cars never break down in warm weather

unless you live in AZ then it won't break down till august :cry:  :cry:

later jim
Most people have a higher than average number of legs.

Fat Cat

Quote from: "48builder"Yeah, I suppose you are right. It started right up this morning, but who knows how long that will continue. Looks like I'll be crawling on the cold floor tonight.

Thanks

Walt

Get a replacement starter and throw it in the trunk. It will be months or years before you have to put it on. When you do it will be during a snow storm in the middle of a Walmart parking lot. As me how I know! :)

The Paisano

The starter is wired directly to the battery and the small wire to the solenoid from the ignition.These small high torque starter are actually better then the ones from the old days.That abouts 15 year or more.The Ford starters are the same and I used to find that if the pigtail wire that mounts to the solenoid from the igntion is loose or even has the hint or corrision,on the mounting tab that it cause your situation.the only time I ever seen these starters to god bad was from have oil leak on to them from have the oild filter mounted directly mounted above them.oil change people would let excess oil dump right out on the solenoid.Real stupid design,but that what sells parts.If your cables were corroded or loose,it would give you the same situation.I would sure as hell crawl under it and clean off that connection before if stick 150.00 plus bucks and find out that it wan't the starter.I have seen that replacing the starter and still having that connection corroded[it usually looks ok,but oits not]replaced didn't do anygood without that connection repair.Pclean it up and or replace the connector,dab a little ditallic grease on it and go from there
The Paisano  8)
Paisano

48builder

Quote from: "The Paisano".Pclean it up and or replace the connector,dab a little ditallic grease on it and go from there
The Paisano  8)

I'll do that. Thanks for the info. I haven't replaced it yet. Too darn cold here. It has been working fine.

Walt
'39 Chevy driver