four banger

Started by phat46, January 16, 2009, 09:33:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

phat46

I decided to go with a four banger in my single seater project. I wanted as much power as possible, so i bored and stroked a 2.3L Ford

phat rat

So where did you get the pistons and rods for that bore and stroke job?
Some days it\'s not worth chewing through the restraints.

phat46

Quote from: "phat rat"So where did you get the pistons and rods for that bore and stroke job?

Those are out of the Mesabi Miner Great Lakes freighter. It's a thousand footer powered by a couple BIG diesels. A friend of mine is working on the ship over in Steurgon Bay Wi. for the winter. He sent me several pics of the engine rebuid they are doing. He's gonna bring me some of the old parts, like a set of rings to show me how big they actually are. Here's a pic of the ship I'm talking about for all the land lubbers that haven't seen a Great Lakes ship.

Crosley.In.AZ

that is a motor size where you throttle it up to 900 RPM
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

Jbird

There's more steel in that connecting rod than there is in a complete 2.3. One of the TV discovery type channels had a show about a Hyundai ship motor that had a built in stair case in the block to check out the lower end. It was massive.   Jbird 8)
A biblical plague would come in real handy just about now
Badges? Badges? We don\'t need no stinking Badges!!
Team Smarts official dumbfounder
The first liar ain\'t got a chance

river1

those piston would make a GREAT shop waste basket :lol:  :lol:

later jim
Most people have a higher than average number of legs.

zzford

...or a paper weight/ ashtray!

GPster

One year at Bonneville they announced that the motor that was in the Freightliner that was racing had come out of a tug boat from up around Chicago (that's as close as my memory gets after a couple of years). It seemed big but it was smaller than that. GPster

enjenjo

Quote from: "GPster"One year at Bonneville they announced that the motor that was in the Freightliner that was racing had come out of a tug boat from up around Chicago (that's as close as my memory gets after a couple of years). It seemed big but it was smaller than that. GPster

That was a Detroit Diesel 16V144 with two blowers and 4 giant turbos.

Years ago, my great uncle worked on lake freighters up near Charlivoi (sp) Mich.  I remember visiting the ship where he worked, and a guy standing inside a cylinder, deglazing it with a 7" sander.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

UGLY OLDS

Just a quick rings & inserts "freshen up"  :?:   :roll:   Don't forget a timing chain & oil pump to complete the job  :!: Does he use a big crayola for a "plastiguage"  :?:  :)

I remember as a kid watching them change oil on diesel railroad engines...While they were running  :!:  The mechanic explained to me they had multiple "dry sump" oil systems ...They would run on 1 sump while draining & refilling the other  :?:  I never really understood that... :?  :?

Bob...... :wink:
1940 Oldsmobile- The "Ugly Olds"
1931 Ford sedan- Retirement project

***** First Member of Team Smart*****

phat46

Quote from: "enjenjo"
Quote from: "GPster"One year at Bonneville they announced that the motor that was in the Freightliner that was racing had come out of a tug boat from up around Chicago (that's as close as my memory gets after a couple of years). It seemed big but it was smaller than that. GPster

That was a Detroit Diesel 16V144 with two blowers and 4 giant turbos.

Years ago, my great uncle worked on lake freighters up near Charlivoi (sp) Mich.  I remember visiting the ship where he worked, and a guy standing inside a cylinder, deglazing it with a 7" sander.

Kinda like this?  My friends asked if he could have me come and visit while they were doing this. Nope.  They won't let anyone on the ships while they are in winter layup.   When a freighter is docked here in the shipping season he said he could get me onboard then. I have asked him to get me the H.P. and R.P.M. stats of those engines.

38HAULR

Puts the term "big block" into perspective........Frank.

phat46

Quote from: "38HAULR"Puts the term "big block" into perspective........Frank.

Yeah to say the least...and get this, it's a V-16, and there's TWO of them on the ship!!! :shock:

phat46

Got some more info from my friend on the freighter. He said the engines can turn 500 R.P.M.'s but they like to keep it around 470-480. Also 500 h.p. per hole, total of 8,000 per engine!!!! 3,527 C.U.I. displacement. He's trying to get me a piston for a shop chair or waterever, that'd be too cool!!!

UGLY OLDS

Thats a LOT of iron to move at 500 rpm :!:  :shock:

Bob..... :wink:
1940 Oldsmobile- The "Ugly Olds"
1931 Ford sedan- Retirement project

***** First Member of Team Smart*****