seat wiring

Started by reborn55, January 15, 2009, 08:15:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

reborn55

Hopefully this weekend will get seats and console installed. Misplaced the wiring diagram(old age). Do remember that power came from B+ to circuit breaker to fuse to switch. Would you guys recommend a breaker for each seat and then fuse the seat. Was able to mount switches in the console and reversed them from left to right and make them appear right for each seat.

Fat Cat

Quote from: "reborn55"Hopefully this weekend will get seats and console installed. Misplaced the wiring diagram(old age). Do remember that power came from B+ to circuit breaker to fuse to switch. Would you guys recommend a breaker for each seat and then fuse the seat. Was able to mount switches in the console and reversed them from left to right and make them appear right for each seat.

If your running a breaker for the seat why run a fuse too?

reborn55

Just me and the way I do some things.

58Apache

Depending on where you get your power wire from, it's very likely already protected by a fuse. The thing you need to know is what else is likely to be drawing current at the same time as you moving the seat?

Do you know how many amps the seat motors draw?

If you're going to do a breaker, make sure it's the right rating for the seat motor, AND that you won't draw more current than the fuse rating you're drawing from, when all possible circuits are drawing current....assuming you know what all that circuit feeds.

What are the details on the seats?

reborn55

8 way power seats from a Mark Vll lincoln.  Pretty sure they had 30 amp breaker in the circuit.   had the wiring diagram and misplaced it.

58Apache

I bought seats out of a Lexus on E-bay. I  bought a wiring book for the car the seats came out of on e-bay as well.

I found out they take a special box to control the seat functions. No voltages given though.  :(   I can find the box on E-bay, but I am tempted to just hook up 12 volts and smoke check them ;)    The * that took the seats out cut the wiring and I don't have connectors or long enough wire.

I'm going to take the seat out to see if that module is mounted under the seat and I just didn't see it?

Steve

Mac

I bought a set (F&R) of `04 Chrysler 300C seats for my Jag project. I think the computer controls, at least, some of the functions like memory set and heat. My plan is to wire direct for manual adjust functions only.  Unless someone can suggest a way around it. I'm not too worried about heated seats but I would like memory presets.
Who\'s yer Data?

kb426

Mac, I do know that the computer controls the memory functions. I think it also does the heaters but not 100%. I used seats out of a 300m in a former project. By hooking 12 volts to the right wires, I had all the power seat functions but not the heaters. The 300c is newer and may be different. I also don't know if you have to have the vehicles main computer to program the memory. I never made it that far.
TEAM SMART

The Paisano

Yeah, there ususally is a circuit breakere to these systems, but I think it would be a good idea to put a 30 amp fuse to each seatThe reason is that if should ever happen to have short or a motor short,the circuits braker will trip and come back on when it cools down.
I have seen these systems actually draw more amps,the hotter they get and catch the seat on fire.and possibly the whole car.Ford even had a recall on this situation a good while back.As to fusing each seat,Its a fast way of telling which side has a problem.or in between.It doesn't take but a couple of minutes to install a 30 amp in line fuse to the 12v supply under each seat,next to to motors and track.Sometimes if a track should bind will cause motors to draw more amps.Anyway it's cheap insurance and gives you a quick diognois.
The Paisano 8)

yeah ther e
Paisano

Mac

Good info.
Thanks, KB and Paisano  );b(
Who\'s yer Data?

reborn55

Thanks guys--just the way I have it wired.  So far so good.

The Paisano

Quote from: "Fat Cat"
Quote from: "reborn55"Hopefully this weekend will get seats and console installed. Misplaced the wiring diagram(old age). Do remember that power came from B+ to circuit breaker to fuse to switch. Would you guys recommend a breaker for each seat and then fuse the seat. Was able to mount switches in the console and reversed them from left to right and make them appear right for each seat.

If your running a breaker for the seat why run a fuse too?
Paisano