RRT project

Started by enjenjo, January 10, 2009, 08:06:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

unklian

Everyone scrambles looking for the latest Hot Rod magazine ...

What is on the cover, so I know I've found the right one ?

GPster

I think from investigating it is the March issue of Hot Rod. I thought by the name that it was a team effort but the Fast Four refers to the car which is a vitage Dodge roadster powered by a one-year-only Dodge flathead four. It is an interesting article but for me not worth the price of the magazine. My library quit subscribiing to Hot Rod and there wasn't a copier in the grocery store. While I still thought that it was a team name I envisionedus coming up with a name "Half-Fast 8" gut maybe that would still work. How about we take a SBC and only run it on four cylinders. Use the other four cylinderto work like an air compressor to power a turbo-charger with cool air. We could have a cam ground that open and close the compressor cylinders every revolution so that the compressor cylinders never pumped against pressure and there shouldn't be a need for an inter-cooler because it would be cool air through the turbo. Or maybe we could run it like a diesel, out of the compressor cylinder into the intake of a combustion cylinder. GPster

Crosley.In.AZ

Rambler , 1967 car.  tube chassis , straight axle in the front. Gasser style.

Blue lexan winders.
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

unklian

Quote from: "enjenjo"I just got the new Hot Rod Magazine, there is an article on the fast 4 racing team. that car is pretty much what I have in mind. Real low buck. And set up right it could run in several types of racing, with a bunch of different power plants. Even electric. :lol:

Pictures would be good.

Too cold here to go to the magazine store today.

river1

Quote from: "unklian"
Quote from: "enjenjo"I just got the new Hot Rod Magazine, there is an article on the fast 4 racing team. that car is pretty much what I have in mind. Real low buck. And set up right it could run in several types of racing, with a bunch of different power plants. Even electric. :lol:

Pictures would be good.

Too cold here to go to the magazine store today.

http://jrodart.wordpress.com/2008/08/13/montana-dodge-boys-fast-four-special-hoping-for-a-record-at-the-bonneville-salt-flats-4/

all i could find

later jim
Most people have a higher than average number of legs.

GPster

Just a couple more tidbits. I believe the record it set was 107.5 MPH. somewhere in the article it mentioned 117 MPH but I don't know if it bumped it's own record (aka Holley) or that was just one run that week. The engine is a Dodge flathead four that was only made on year an I think it's 208". That body has rear fenders that I think might be a determining factor in what vintage roadster class it is running.   Now, going from the other direction. I Googled Nostalgic Drag racing and it came back under NHRA. They have rules (I'm not surprised, probably for liabilities). Their rules cover about 76 pages and I may be reading it wrong but it almost looks to me like "Pinks All Out". There seems to be classes but they are further broken down by ETs not engine size. There's also a lot of classes that require full 4 wheel suspension with shocks and 4 wheel brakes. This searching of mine is not meant to kill any part of the idea, just trying to encourage more susgestions. GPster

unklian

Vintage Engine classes, from the DLRA rule book
http://www.dlra.org.au/docs/dlrarules.pdf

XF class: Ford Flathead V8 1932- '53. 325 cubes max

XO class consists of OHV and Flathead inline,
and Flathead V8(excluding Ford & Mercury), and V12 engines,
1959 or earlier designs, up to 325 cubes max.
Domestic motors only.

XXF is a XF motor with overhead conversion heads, eg ARDUN

XXO is an XO motor with a "specialty" cylinder head eg Wayne 12 port.

X class engines, described above, over 325 but under 375 cubes
will be classified as XXF or XXO. Specialty heads will not be allowed.

XX/PRO class is limited to cylinder head port configuration as originally designed. This applies to XXF and XXO classes.

V4F pre '35 American made 4 cyl up to 220 cubes

V4 pre '35 American made 4 cyl up to 220 cubes,
"Specialty" heads allowed.

unklian

I don't know how strict they are on what is considered a "specialty head".

unklian

Quote from: "unklian"Ice racing ?

Saw pics of someone running a winged Sprint Car on Ice.:shock:

Sounds like big time fun, :D  
but also BIG TIME COLD.  :x   :(

GPster

Quote from: "unklian"Vintage Engine classes, from the DLRA rule book
http://www.dlra.org.au/docs/dlrarules.pdf

XF class: Ford Flathead V8 1932- '53. 325 cubes max

Domestic motors only.

XXF is a XF motor with overhead conversion heads, eg ARDUN

XX/PRO class is limited to cylinder head port configuration as originally designed. This applies to XXF and XXO classes.

V4F pre '35 American made 4 cyl up to 220 cubes

I was wonder where the cubic inch breaks were. I was hoping there was a 4 cylinder under 200 inches so something like a Willys engine (Whippet) wouldn't have to run against Ts As Bs or that Dodge. Shoots that thinking out the window. Every once in a while there's an ad down here for a restoreable Whippetwith enough parts to make almost 2 cars  but the dollar/fun ratio would be too high. I have a friend that  has a '24 Chevy that was cut-up and turned into a tractor but he only has the one and it's probably locked-up. He also has a Model T style six cylinder (probably from a Model K) but he bought it at a Ford auction just to use as the base for a coffee table. He ran  junkyard that his son took over so he's constantly told how many things he's done wrong so I'll leave him with those two memories. Good CHAT last night. Need for more people to get involved in this idea. GPster

GPster

Quote from: "unklian"I don't know how strict they are on what is considered a "specialty head".
That gives me another thought What if you put a sparkplug in a diesel head? were there any early four cylinder diesel engines that we could play with and make gas engine out of? Might get some SIZE out of it that way> GPster

sirstude

I didn't know about the boys out of Bozeman until I got the Magazine the other day, and I am only 90 miles away.  

Anyway, on Joe's comment, look at the super stock tractor pullers.  They have built a head for them and run alcohol, so must have plugs in them.  They have to use the diesel block.  They seem to be so sucessful that the class has been seperated into 2, one for oil and one for alcohol.

Doug
1965 Impala SS  502
1941 Olds

Watcher of #974 1953 Studebaker Bonneville pas record holder B/BGCC 249.945 MPH.  He sure is FAST

www.theicebreaker.us

unklian

Quote from: "unklian"

Domestic motors only.

"Specialty" cylinder heads means you can adapt
a different head as long as the cam stays in the block.
eg Cut and weld v8 heads together to run on an inline 6.

unklian

Quote from: "sirstude"

Anyway, on Joe's comment, look at the super stock tractor pullers.  They have built a head for them and run alcohol, so must have plugs in them.  They have to use the diesel block.  They seem to be so sucessful that the class has been seperated into 2, one for oil and one for alcohol.

Doug

Some of those heads are VERY expensive.

unklian

Quote from: "GPster"
Quote from: "unklian"I don't know how strict they are on what is considered a "specialty head".
That gives me another thought What if you put a sparkplug in a diesel head? were there any early four cylinder diesel engines that we could play with and make gas engine out of? Might get some SIZE out of it that way> GPster

John Deere made some big 4 cyl diesels, don't know if
they are old enough for Vintage.

The cool thing about them is the Cadillac cylinder heads
have the same bolt pattern.Only the dowels are different.
So running on gasoline would be no problem.

I wonder if they made a 6 cyl, that would be closer to the class size limit ?
The 4.5 liter 4 cyl is ONLY 275 cubes. The limit is 325.