RRT project

Started by enjenjo, January 10, 2009, 08:06:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

enjenjo

Quote from: "GPster"Are we set with the Sprint Car front axel? One other site I visit has a '34 front axel with un-cut wishbone and spindles for sale. At $125.00 I think it's reasonable but it's in Alabama. Has tie rod and I think it's drag link steered but no hubs or brakes. Decide if you want me to go further. GPster

We have the axle and spindles, it's light and strong, so I see no reason not to use it. Besides, the 34 axle is too long for the width we are shooting for.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

enjenjo

We set the body parts up so it kind of looks like a car. Some of the panels need some work, but it's pretty solid for what we need.

GPster

Should we get it back together and on a frame before we chop the top? Or could we "X" brace the body like you did that Mustang? GPster

enjenjo

Quote from: "GPster"Should we get it back together and on a frame before we chop the top? Or could we "X" brace the body like you did that Mustang? GPster

We are going to have to build some type of bracing to assemble the body on to fit it back together.

phat46

Well that body should be pretty easy to chop seeing as how someone already cut the top off!!! Or it might make it a pain in the butt!!!  :lol:

enjenjo

Well, do we want to schedule a build day to start getting the body into shape? I have a table, on wheels, we can build the body on.

purplepickup

Quote from: "enjenjo"Well, do we want to schedule a build day to start getting the body into shape? I have a table, on wheels, we can build the body on.
Sure :D
George

dragrcr50

as a builder i only have one idea for this deal. if it is going to have multiple drivers it needs to fit them all to be safe.  i think moveable seat mounting is a must and maybe a couple of different steering column spacers made for tall or short guys or round like me.  also the cage must fit at lest a 6.2 guy as a general rule.  ...........
ownerWoodard racing and hot rod shop in mustang oklahoma. My  specialty is gassers &  nostalgia race cars , love the salt,

Crosley.In.AZ

Quote from: "dragrcr50"as a builder i only have one idea for this deal. if it is going to have multiple drivers it needs to fit them all to be safe.  i think moveable seat mounting is a must and maybe a couple of different steering column spacers made for tall or short guys or round like me.  also the cage must fit at lest a 6.2 guy as a general rule.  ...........

hmmmmm ,   a 6'2" Sumner or FatCat?   BIG difference there.

8)
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

enjenjo

Quote from: "dragrcr50"as a builder i only have one idea for this deal. if it is going to have multiple drivers it needs to fit them all to be safe.  i think moveable seat mounting is a must and maybe a couple of different steering column spacers made for tall or short guys or round like me.  also the cage must fit at lest a 6.2 guy as a general rule.  ...........

I agree. I'm thinking a means of adjusting the seat height, one to adjust the pedals, and one for the column. Maybe the shifter too. Will that cover every thing?

enjenjo

Do we have someone here who can TIG up an aluminum seat if I get one made?

moose

Quote from: "enjenjo"Do we have someone here who can TIG up an aluminum seat if I get one made?
What gauge? A little rusty on thin but can practice a little first.

tomslik

got any idea what you want for a diff housing?
gonna get with a guy this weekend and get some 9" housings.
sounds like they'll be reasonably cheap...
3" or 3.25 tubes? big bearings i suppose?
we can deal with the width later...
The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it\'s still on my list

enjenjo

Quote from: "moose"
Quote from: "enjenjo"Do we have someone here who can TIG up an aluminum seat if I get one made?
What gauge? A little rusty on thin but can practice a little first.

This will be .120 and .090. Can you handle that?

enjenjo

Quote from: "tomslik"got any idea what you want for a diff housing?
gonna get with a guy this weekend and get some 9" housings.
sounds like they'll be reasonably cheap...
3" or 3.25 tubes? big bearings i suppose?
we can deal with the width later...

Either one will work, but a 3.25 would be stronger. Bearings are not an issue, I have ends in stock if we need to change them.