RRT project

Started by enjenjo, January 10, 2009, 08:06:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Leon

What happened to all the people that wanted to join in?

enjenjo

Quote from: "Leon"What happened to all the people that wanted to join in?

A few have PMed me, some I just don't know. Some are waiting for a tax return. Two have lost their job in the last month.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

Crosley.In.AZ

It's a tough economy.  My money the gubmint took from my paycheck  last year , I received that back 2 weeks ago.  it's spent.

I joined into the RRT project via the sales of items in my shop.. I've recently sold parts I've had 10 -15 years or longer.

Next is getting rid of more cars.   :shock: I think (grin)  I will keep the Falcon, 1 Morris Minor and the 1948 Simca
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

tomslik

Quote from: "Crosley"It's a tough economy.  My money the gubmint took from my paycheck  last year , I received that back 2 weeks ago.  it's spent.

I joined into the RRT project via the sales of items in my shop.. I've recently sold parts I've had 10 -15 years or longer.

Next is getting rid of more cars.   :shock: I think (grin)  I will keep the Falcon, 1 Morris Minor and the 1948 Simca

what do ya got left?

geez, i been selling rambler stuff like crazy along with other crap i'll never use

not so much hard time but my paycheck goes to the house.
i see maybe gas money but that's it, i want this dump paid off!

the ebay stuff or anything i make out in the shop is my play money :lol:
The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it\'s still on my list

Crosley.In.AZ

Quote from: "tomslik"
Quote from: "Crosley"It's a tough economy.  My money the gubmint took from my paycheck  last year , I received that back 2 weeks ago.  it's spent.

what do ya got left?

hi tomslik;

currently my fleet is;

2 - Crosley cars.  1947 sedan and 1948 wagon... a  Crosley pick up; body only

1- 1948 Simca

1-Dodge Lancer 1961.. runs , drives

1- Falcon sedan 1962 ... runs , drives

2 - Morris Minor 1000 cars , 1- 1961 runner driver, the other, a  1962  sits on my frame fixture

1- Triumph 1959 Standard 10 car

1- Bug eye Sprite 1961

I may part the Dodge out, keep the usable parts : power train, differential... not much interest (zero)  in the whole car when I have it for sale.

8)
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

GPster

The thing that comes to mind first about an RRT project like the BBQ trailer is more how we came together to accomplish something and how we all get together and enjoy it. I put in some time on the construction of it but the best part of it's being a reason to sit around and enjoy it with everybody. That feeling has been in Swanton, Indianapolis. Kalamazoo. Fort Wayne and Bonneville for me. We all have different financial worries and the initial talk about a $10,000.00 undertaking with 20 share holders at $500.00 a clip scared me right off the picnic grounds. The second share offering brought me back into the fold and my wife even encourraged me to go deeper into it more than an "also ran". There was talk about a Hot Rod feature car being a model. Investigating that article showed a four cylinder engine pushing a car 117 MPH. That certainly wasn't a low dollar project but that speed put realities more in our reach for tires, safety equipment and driver licensing. Talking about a Nostalgic Drag Car brings about some feelings of something that could be accomplished. The idea of running a car in ET brackets gives some ease and notions. The HAMB drags come to mind and there seems to be a lot more than "grudge" matches between wheel standing Henry J s and Willys there. That certainly is not bad if you're a competitor but that might be a little rich blooded for people just looking for an excuse to be doing something together. Looking at suggestions I'd like to offer this one. We need to build a rolling chassis and because it would be a strengthening part of the design it should have a roll cage. To keep from having to re-do anything I would suggest a cage built to SCTA specs because there would be no shame having a four cylinder 13 second drag car with a first class roll cage. Build a straight ladder style frame and go for 120". With a straight front axel and traverse front spring it could be shortened if necessary with-out any major re-design. We should at least put the body back together and get it out of that never to see daylight again state. One last thought. Four bar rear suspension might be optimum but for use yoou might be limited to whatever you could do with one rear end housing with the correct brakets. Maybe just a pair of leaf springs on the rear might keep you from having to run a 9" with 35 spline axels behind some four cylinder engine. Maybe if we can't get the other share holders to offer their opinions we should ask them. I've said enough. GPster

enjenjo

I understand where you are coming from Joe, but there are some realities we have to deal with. there are requirements that have to be met to race most anywhere now days. Take the rear end for instance. 28 spline, 31 spline, 35 spline axles are all the same price. For what we want to do, NHRA requires aftermarket axles to be legal. So we might as well build it bulletproof, rather than have to spend the money again later. Leaf springs are simple, but not very tuneable, and we will still need some type of traction control device.  We can build our own four link, and brackets for a very reasonable price, and we already have a set of rear coilovers for it.

The frame we have come up with is a ladder type frame made from 2 by 3 tubing, with a full cage, NHRA legal, including bars to the front of the frame. We are planning on using 1 3/4" tubing, bigger than required, but needed if we step up later. This is more than what is required, but will be useable most any where without changes.

We have a straight front axle, I have access to torsion bars for sprint cars at a real good price, which again will help the tuning of the chassis.

With a stiff chassis, and a tuneable suspension, we are not going to be building a ill handling turd that can't be fixed.

There is no deadline for building this. As long as we are progressing, it will be fine.

Mikej

I haven't anything to add till now. Anything that we do neededs to be safe and well thought out. That way no one will be hurt because of the design or not following safety guide lines. Moving it around the country may be a bit of a problem for the initial build.
I would like to see even a engine built by the group to be used at the salt. As a group activity it doesn't have to be the fastest but it could be alot of fun for all to take part.
 I haven't been on the chats because I don't type fast enough( or is that think) could be both. But would like to thank Frank for posting the discussions.

GPster

As a clarification to everybody else, I started that reply last night at 5:00 and just finished it last night before I got on Chat. On Chat I found out the promised coil overs had been delivered, the promised four bar brackets had also appeared and that we already had access to a 9" rear end housing (truck housing with the big axel bearings). This would mean that we have 3/4 of what it would take to make a rolling chassis on the back end which was my main concern. This is the first commitment to     1 3/4" roll cage (which I mentioned as SCTA legal) so that we wouldn't be going with smaller bars and only be NHRA legal. It all sounds good so far.aren't there any other opinions? GPster

unklian

I think everybody is on the same page; as far as building a
generic drag race car that COULD be up graded to run Bonneville.

Safety is non negotiable, the sanctioning body rules are a minimum.

If a few "extra" pounds slows the 1/4 mile ET a bit, it isn't a crisis for bracket racing.

Unfortunately, the Economy is squeezing all of us.
Some more than others.  :cry:

HOPEFULLY, as the project develops, it will gather more support.

Leon

How about a bailout from Obama  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

enjenjo

It's supposed to be clear and warm tomorrow, so I'll try to get the body set up, and get some pictures of it.

phat46

Quote from: "enjenjo"It's supposed to be clear and warm tomorrow, so I'll try to get the body set up, and get some pictures of it.

That'd be great!!

GPster

Quote from: "enjenjo"It's supposed to be clear and warm tomorrow, so I'll try to get the body set up, and get some pictures of it.
iI need a little more notice to be able to show up and help, GPster

GPster

Are we set with the Sprint Car front axel? One other site I visit has a '34 front axel with un-cut wishbone and spindles for sale. At $125.00 I think it's reasonable but it's in Alabama. Has tie rod and I think it's drag link steered but no hubs or brakes. Decide if you want me to go further. GPster