RRT project

Started by enjenjo, January 10, 2009, 08:06:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

unklian

GPster

Just to put that in scale. A Crosley had a wheelbase of 80". The thought is that a wheelbase of 120" would suit our purpose and that extra wheelbase would be in front of the cowl. That would mean a 40" stretch which would probably be more than the width of the doors, The nose would go clear to the front for a different look and for some streamlining but it would be   re-shaped some. My only form of graphics is CCP (copy, cut, paste) and I tried to come up with a rendering like this the other day but then couldn't post it. Imagine that or put it in picture. GPster

phat46

Quote from: "enjenjo"Good Idea Jim.

We have to start figuring out the layout of the car.

I have a heavy duty 9" housing we can use for the rear end. we need a good center section, and a spool. We will have to get good axles made, what wheel bolt pattern? 4 link? ladder bars? Coilovers? Disc or drum brakes?

For the front axle, I have been thinking of using the stock spindles with a fabricated tube axle. But if we use front brakes, and that is not a bad idea, we may need something stouter. Cross spring front end? struts?

Round tube frame? Or rectangular?

How much tire?

I have been thinking of a Powerglide, because it is light and very adaptable.

Lets have some more input on this.

I have an aluminum case Power Glide I would donate if needed. I also have two 15 X 10" 5 0n 5.5  aluminum wheels I would donate if they would work.

GPster

Quote from: "GPster"Just to put that in scale. A Crosley had a wheelbase of 80". The thought is that a wheelbase of 120" would suit our purpose and that extra wheelbase would be in front of the cowl. That would mean a 40" stretch which would probably be more than the width of the doors, The nose would go clear to the front for a different look and for some streamlining but it would be   re-shaped some. My only form of graphics is CCP (copy, cut, paste) and I tried to come up with a rendering like this the other day but then couldn't post it. Imagine that or put it in picture. GPster
Going by the profile picture of a stock seadn that I've been playing with the doors are half the length of the wheelbase (40"). so if someone can make a picture that size it would show what we're thinking. If you're working with a picture of a stocker it's should be on 12" wheels which should give you a scale for wheel/tires.That might help picture the first thoughts. GPster

unklian

Went back and figured the wheelbase of my renderings,
based on the stock wheelbase.

This one is around 124".

This is around 100"

My earlier estimates were based on
assumed wheel sizes, which were not accurate.

unklian

What is the wheelbase on Hooley's Studebaker ?

dragrcr50

Quote from: "unklian"What is the wheelbase on Hooley's Studebaker ?
they are 121 inch....................
ownerWoodard racing and hot rod shop in mustang oklahoma. My  specialty is gassers &  nostalgia race cars , love the salt,

enjenjo

Wednesday at 9 pm we are going to have a chat to get this rolling. I would like as many of you there as possible, to get your input on this.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

unklian

Quote from: "dragrcr50"
Quote from: "unklian"What is the wheelbase on Hooley's Studebaker ?
they are 121 inch....................

Wow, that is a big car.

Leon

I'll have to check the other shop, but I think I have a set of rear coilovers that were originally for a car that I put air springs in instead.  I'll try to get over there tomorrow to check.

unklian

I've got some 4 bar brackets, that attach to the rear end.

Might have some new P&J 1 3/4" shackles, for a transverse spring on front.

unklian

We discussed a Pro Mod inspired nose.

Perhaps something like this.

I modified a pic posted earlier.

Key elements are the round headlights, and peak in the middle of the hood.
Trying to maintain some of the original identity.

unklian

Not sure what year this one is.

unklian

Pic from Steve Davis' shop: