RRT project

Started by enjenjo, January 10, 2009, 08:06:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

unklian

The wheelbase on this one is around 120"

I left the wheelbase, and stretched the sheetmetal forward and down.
No budget for a blower, so I added a hood blister.

dragrcr50

I must admit, I had not read any of this til this evening, interesting.  i have lots of drag race stuff .  I build nhra legal chassis too.  I;m takin it all in and thinking this might be fun.   the easy thing is a sbc and a powerglide transmission.  which is the same length as the short tail 350 turbo.    the big block is only a couple inches longer out front and a of course wider.  I think it would be fun to try our hand at an oddball combo instead.  pontiac, olds, caddy,  not old ones but like a 455 etc, just a thought.  of course a 9 inch and new axles and a good center section  is a must.  keep it up ill read from now on and see where this takes us.  thanks   sam
ownerWoodard racing and hot rod shop in mustang oklahoma. My  specialty is gassers &  nostalgia race cars , love the salt,

Bugpac

A green "electric car" would likely entertain some heavyweight sponsors, then the car would be virtually free for all, less labor, and could just be passed around the country to play with.... :D  Plus it is something to be talked about!!
I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left.
*****Youngest Member of THE TEAM*****

tomslik

Quote from: "dragrcr50"I must admit, I had not read any of this til this evening, interesting.  i have lots of drag race stuff .  I build nhra legal chassis too.  I;m takin it all in and thinking this might be fun.   the easy thing is a sbc and a powerglide transmission.  which is the same length as the short tail 350 turbo.    the big block is only a couple inches longer out front and a of course wider.  I think it would be fun to try our hand at an oddball combo instead.  pontiac, olds, caddy,  not old ones but like a 455 etc, just a thought.  of course a 9 inch and new axles and a good center section  is a must.  keep it up ill read from now on and see where this takes us.  thanks   sam

in my process for looking for 290 amc's, i seem to get a few people offering up 343's if you want off the wall stuff...

don't know how much help i can be to the project as i think i'm the only one in northern colorado...
The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it\'s still on my list

Fat Cat

Quote from: "tomslik"don't know how much help i can be to the project as i think i'm the only one in northern colorado...

Dont give up so easily. There will be build days located all across the country. Initial discussions between Enjenjo and I have talked about doing some build days in the midwest and we want to do at least one timeframe out at Sumner's. I am sure there would be one close enough to you that you could make it.  :wink:

GPster

Quote from: "Fat Cat"
Quote from: "tomslik"don't know how much help i can be to the project as i think i'm the only one in northern colorado...

Dont give up so easily. There will be build days located all across the country. Initial discussions between Enjenjo and I have talked about doing some build days in the midwest and we want to do at least one timeframe out at Sumner's. I am sure there would be one close enough to you that you could make it.  :wink:
I'll be in Denver in June from the second till the tenth. If the racer is out there then it would be a good excuse for me to miss Glenwood Springs. Of course if it happens to be in Blanding I could probably borrow a car. GPster

enjenjo

Quotedon't know how much help i can be to the project as i think i'm the only one in northern colorado...

I have you penciled in for building the rear end housing. :lol:

I want to spread this build out as much as possible.

Leonard, If you want to do electric, get together with the others that want to go that route, and you can have the car to try it. Should be no problem fitting an electric powerplant into it.

We are going to need someone to build a glass front end.

I do like the 120" wheelbase with the stretched nose.

To make this work, on the budget we have, we will have to take advantage of all the talent the members of the group have.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

river1

to whomever is designing the chassis here is an idea i got from elpolacko from the HAMB. when he builds a chassis he builds the k-member in such a  way as to facilitate multiple tranny lengths. the tubing the mount bolts to are exactly parallel so the mount can slide nack and forth to allow for the different tranny lengths.

here is a pic that i stole from his photobucket site

later jim
Most people have a higher than average number of legs.

enjenjo

Good Idea Jim.

We have to start figuring out the layout of the car.

I have a heavy duty 9" housing we can use for the rear end. we need a good center section, and a spool. We will have to get good axles made, what wheel bolt pattern? 4 link? ladder bars? Coilovers? Disc or drum brakes?

For the front axle, I have been thinking of using the stock spindles with a fabricated tube axle. But if we use front brakes, and that is not a bad idea, we may need something stouter. Cross spring front end? struts?

Round tube frame? Or rectangular?

How much tire?

I have been thinking of a Powerglide, because it is light and very adaptable.

Lets have some more input on this.

GPster

I have one of those Chevy front motor mount crossmembers from Speedway from the Jeepster. It has been trimed on at the sides for a much narrower frame width but some type of frame sliders can be built on the ends for a similar sliding arrangement for engine mounts ( the 90 degree V6 has mounts closer to the back of the block than V8). I also have a short tailhousing 350 turbo if a powerglide doesn't show up and a fresh .030" over early 4.3 V6 if it needs to run quickly (not fast). Didn't you say that the Crosley part included a couple extra front axels? we could weld two longer halves to make on wider than stock one. How about a simple rear suspension? Chevy truck rear arms ('64 to '72 ?) coil rear springs or air bags? Surely someone out west could find a pair that aren't rusted past use. GPster

phat rat

If it was decided to go the truck arms as GPster suggested I might be able to find some if a member didn't have some. I'll be going out west on a parts hunting trip again the end of Apr. first part of May
Some days it\'s not worth chewing through the restraints.

unklian

I like than transmission mount, Steve does very nice work.
Ideally, the transmission tunnel would be large enough to
accept different options.

Truck arms are nice and simple,
but for drag racing, I think an adjustable 4 link would work better.  
Or a 3 link using a torque arm.

unklian

On tire sizes, the Bonneville rubber has to fit inside the stock quarter panels.
So the tubs need to be at least that big.

Drag rubber could hang out in the breeze.
10 1/2" is a popular size.

If the rear quarter panels are removable with Dzeus buttons,
it would make things easier. Could have two sets of
quarter panels, one for Bonneville, the other for drag racing.

enjenjo

QuoteIf the rear quarter panels are removable with Dzeus buttons,
it would make things easier. Could have two sets of
quarter panels, one for Bonneville, the other for drag racing.

My thought too. You can't use skirts, but you can run the tiny stock wheel openings.

unklian