How do you guys do it?

Started by GPster, December 30, 2008, 09:02:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Leon

I haven't had any problem with mine discharging if left in with the power off.  I also got a Craftsman 19.2 Li/Ion battery pack for Christmas because most NiCads develop a memory over time.  I used to have to replace cell phone batteries a couple times a year, now that they don't use nicads, I've had batteries last as long as I keep the phone.

wayne petty

in the battery pack there are some undefined items.. usually wired between the batterys.. they are thermal switches...

i too was wondering if it will discharge when unplugged... ???   maybe a diode inserted in the circuit..

on the wall wart... (power transformer..)    be sure to before throwing it out... to take a picture of the info off the bottom...  many times the thin wire breaks just before the strain relief ... either at the coax end or at the transformer its self..   some of the larger units have internal fuses.. that blow out..  pry it apart and have a look..

radio shack and other electronics stores have replacement ends... be sure to use a metric drill bit to measure the inside diameter on the plug..  there are several sizes...

what else... ????

sometimes this is the battery that gets used in power tools..

http://www.allelectronics.com/make-a-store/item/NCB-SC/SUB-C-NICAD-W/SOLDER-TAB/-/1.html

rooster

Quote from: "wayne petty"in the battery pack there are some undefined items.. usually wired between the batterys.. they are thermal switches...

i too was wondering if it will discharge when unplugged... ???   maybe a diode inserted in the circuit..

on the wall wart... (power transformer..)    be sure to before throwing it out... to take a picture of the info off the bottom...  many times the thin wire breaks just before the strain relief ... either at the coax end or at the transformer its self..   some of the larger units have internal fuses.. that blow out..  pry it apart and have a look..

radio shack and other electronics stores have replacement ends... be sure to use a metric drill bit to measure the inside diameter on the plug..  there are several sizes...

what else... ????

sometimes this is the battery that gets used in power tools..

http://www.allelectronics.com/make-a-store/item/NCB-SC/SUB-C-NICAD-W/SOLDER-TAB/-/1.html

I didnt find any stw's in the batterys but inside the charging cradle there is a board.
notice the board has all the drilled hole solder up.

I turned the board over and found a resister missing (HUMM) dont know if thats normal.
Ill that the wart apart tommoro.

Happy new year

wayne petty

while you have the bottom apart... before you open the wall wart... measure the voltage coming in from the wall wart..   then again with the battery plugged in...  

just incase..

60ELKY

I HAVE THE SAME 13.2 VOLT CHARGER IN THE PICTURE SHOWING THE CIRCUIT BOARD. CAN YOU GIVE ME THE COLOR CODE OF THE RESISTOR #R3? IN THE PICTURE IT SHOWS UP AS BRIGHT WHITE BUT MINE IS SUPPOSED TO BE GREY W/COLORED STRIPES BUT IS BURNT TOO BADLY TO ID THE STRIPES. I FOUND A STORE LESS THAN A MILE FROM ME TO GET A NEW RESISTOR BUT I NEED THE STRIPES COLOR CODE TO MATCH THE OLD ONE. I HATE TO THROW THE DRILL AWAY BECAUSE IT'S ONLY SEEN A MONTH OR SO OF USE. CAN'T BELIEVE THE CRAP THAT IS COMING OUT NOW WITH RESPECTABLE NAMES. THANKS FOR ANY HELP.

GPster

Well I made my Home Depot trip the other day and gathered up the pieces. I'm going to mout the timer in a 4x4 plastic box along side a duplex receptical and power it with a grounded plug/cord that I robbed of of a piece of junk. This way I can dial in for any charger/battery that I've run down and any wall socket that I'm near. It's surprising how complicated I can make something simple. GPster

rooster

Quote from: "60ELKY"I HAVE THE SAME 13.2 VOLT CHARGER IN THE PICTURE SHOWING THE CIRCUIT BOARD. CAN YOU GIVE ME THE COLOR CODE OF THE RESISTOR #R3? IN THE PICTURE IT SHOWS UP AS BRIGHT WHITE BUT MINE IS SUPPOSED TO BE GREY W/COLORED STRIPES BUT IS BURNT TOO BADLY TO ID THE STRIPES. I FOUND A STORE LESS THAN A MILE FROM ME TO GET A NEW RESISTOR BUT I NEED THE STRIPES COLOR CODE TO MATCH THE OLD ONE. I HATE TO THROW THE DRILL AWAY BECAUSE IT'S ONLY SEEN A MONTH OR SO OF USE. CAN'T BELIEVE THE CRAP THAT IS COMING OUT NOW WITH RESPECTABLE NAMES. THANKS FOR ANY HELP.

red red gray gold, best guess!

http://www.dannyg.com/examples/res2/resistor.htm

rooster

Quote from: "GPster"Well I made my Home Depot trip the other day and gathered up the pieces. I'm going to mout the timer in a 4x4 plastic box along side a duplex receptical and power it with a grounded plug/cord that I robbed of of a piece of junk. This way I can dial in for any charger/battery that I've run down and any wall socket that I'm near. It's surprising how complicated I can make something simple. GPster

Im going to have to do this also. The paticular charger with this model drill just keeps on charging. :cry:

I was able to bring the battery pack back to life somewhat By giving it a 'electric emena" i ZAPPED each battery with 10 amps for less than 5 seconds, then the chacger would work! After about a 7 hour charge it brought the battery pack up to 12.6 V. I checked each battery and found 2 are not charged at all. Sence I have another batter pack Ill see if I can salavage a few from it to have one good pack.

rooster

Quote from: "rooster"
Quote from: "GPster"Well I made my Home Depot trip the other day and gathered up the pieces. I'm going to mout the timer in a 4x4 plastic box along side a duplex receptical and power it with a grounded plug/cord that I robbed of of a piece of junk. This way I can dial in for any charger/battery that I've run down and any wall socket that I'm near. It's surprising how complicated I can make something simple. GPster

Im going to have to do this also. The paticular charger with this model drill just keeps on charging. :cry:

I was able to bring the battery pack back to life somewhat By giving it a 'electric emena" i ZAPPED each battery with 10 amps for less than 5 seconds, then the chacger would work! After about a 7 hour charge it brought the battery pack up to 12.6 V. I checked each battery and found 2 are not charged at all. Sence I have another batter pack Ill see if I can salavage a few from it to have one good pack.

UPDATE:
I re-zapped the 2 batterys with 10 amps, 5 seconds. Now the battery pack has a voltage of 14.5 V, im happy.