How do you guys do it?

Started by GPster, December 30, 2008, 09:02:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GPster

Have I got your attention? Yesterday I bought an 18V battery powered sawsall at Harbor freight and I read the directions. In the past I have ruined the batteries on cheap battery powered drills by just plugging the batteries in the chargers and leaving them there until the next time I needed the drill. After about two failures I read the directions and discovered why. They recommended a five hour charge limit. I made a half-...ed attempt to put those chargers on a household timer and would take the battery out of the charger before twenty four hours passed and it would start charging again. That was a solution for a 14V battery for a $19.00 drill but now I'm talking an 18V battery for a $49.99 tool and a   3 - 5 hour charge reccomendation. What kind of charger can I get that you set for a time and it runs it and then shuts off until you reset it. My mind is no better than the Wal Mart appliance section and I don't ask questions because it's hard to make anyone understand me. What place do I need to investigate to find a solution? GPster

sirstude

Joe,

I hate to say it, but I just leave a battery in the charger at all times.  I have 3 chargers for different voltage batteries and always have a hot one.  I seem to get several years out of a battery.  I don't put one in though until it is dead.  I have Dewalt 12v, Sears 19.2 and Rigid 18v.    I went to the Rigid stuff because Home Depot warrantees the batteries and the tools for life.  Kill a battery and they will replace it.

Doug
1965 Impala SS  502
1941 Olds

Watcher of #974 1953 Studebaker Bonneville pas record holder B/BGCC 249.945 MPH.  He sure is FAST

www.theicebreaker.us

GPster

Quote from: "sirstude"Joe,   I have Dewalt 12v, Sears 19.2 and Rigid 18v.    I went to the Rigid stuff because Home Depot warrantees the batteries and the tools for life.  Kill a battery and they will replace it.Doug
Down on my end of the tote pole they figure that when a $49.00 saw quits working you'll just go out and buy another one. I did hazzard a visit to Sears site and the had the same saw with their name on it and a 19.2V battery for $59.00. I was going to spend the extra money to get a          name (?) brand but even their warehouse was out-of-stock. I suppose the boat was hi-jacked. I wonder why they don't put a regulater/timer on these chargers to keep from overcharging these batteries? They have no trouble making the contacts different so that every cheap tool reguires it's own charger. GPster

wayne petty

the cost... is why they do not have the circuits ... just s simple wall wart...

for those who want to know more.... about battery chargers...

http://www.maxim-ic.com/appnotes.cfm/an_pk/680

it is a good read ... it also informs one of proper charging ....

maybe i will forward that article to HF..

rooster

You may also find SOME of this info useful also! These guys use big words sometimes.

http://www.fieldlines.com/story/2008/8/21/13732/6247

purplepickup

I bought a HF cordless drill once but it died after just a few uses.  I didn't like the charger either so I plugged it into an outlet timer so it wouldn't overcharge.  * battery still didn't last.  Good luck.
George

enjenjo

I have a timer on some of my chargers. Others I just plug in as I need them. The new Dewalt stuff that I have has a built in timer, shuts itself off when the battery is charged.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

GPster

OK I stumbled on to the word "Wall'. I googled it as wall outlet timer and got favorable results and some more hints so I expanded that to "12 hour spring wound wall timer" and got favorable results. Now I have an idea of what to look for without asking strangers dumb questions. Now I'll turn this into a project. GPster

Leon

I have an outlet in the shop that operates off one of those rotary timers like you see for bathroom heaters, "turn past here" then let it run.  They are available in different time ranges, the one I have is a 6 hour timer and I usually set it for 3 hours when I plug a battery in it.  I didn't do it for the batteries benefit, I've read where a couple chargers have caught fire when left plugged in too long.  This way I can turn it on and leave it.

MSC has a 6 hour unit #54025044 for a bit over $25

river1

well according to the instructions that came with my new dewalt drill the batteries can be left in the charger. so that's what i do :roll:

but if you need one i found a timer like leon's at home depot.

later jim
Most people have a higher than average number of legs.

UGLY OLDS

I own no tools that require charging...  :?    I own LOTS of extention cords.... :roll:

Bob....... :wink:
1940 Oldsmobile- The "Ugly Olds"
1931 Ford sedan- Retirement project

***** First Member of Team Smart*****

rooster

I was resently given a small charger, the charging can be done either from a AC or DC sorce. I notice that there is a discharge stw for nicad batterys, it also has a timer built in (mechanical) . I think this charger is for the small remote control cars. need to find some instructions for it now. I think this would good for battery packs in ele drills, I have some homework to do first. :roll:

wayne petty

denny ... that s a neat charger..

here is the link to the specs and manual for it..

http://www.dynamiterc.com/Products/Default.aspx?ProdID=DYN4020

oh... and my brother and i were planning on a wind up timer to switch off the electric stove for my mom...  using it to switch a contactor  wired between a stove plug and socket. (so it could be installed quickly).  mom found out and kabashed the idea... she buys her own cookware and knows hot to replace the heat coils....

GPster

When I came up with enough hint words I hit Google and came up with the Home Depot suggestion . Happened to be at Lowes this afternoon and the timer that was $13. and change at Home Depot was almost $18.00 at Lowes. Be seeing a doctor Friday that is convienently located near a Home Depot so I'll have a chance to shop there. My thought is to mount this timer in a 4X4 box with a duplex receptical  and power it with a male cord end then I'll be portable enough to use it at every wall receptical that has a socket free.This question was because this was one of those times that you know you've seen something but you don't know what it's called. Thanks for helping me piece my mind together. Thank you GPster

rooster

Thanks Wyane for the link, very useful.

I must say this post has got me moving, I took apart a Craftsman 13.2 V drill just to check it out, I got it as a gift 3 or 4 years ago it lasted about a year it came with 2 batterys and a carring case.  I tested the wall wort that came with it tonight and its output is .30 VDC it should be 20VDC 200 MA. The wall wort is junk.

The 13.2 craftsman battery pack is made up of 11x 1.2 NICAD batterys, for a total of 13.2VDC.

Im going to try the charger and see what it will do with them.

This brings up a new question!
If you charge up a battery pack with a timer doing the on/off and the pack is still connected after shuting down will the battery pack discharge?