Strategy for installing new front springs

Started by 48builder, December 22, 2008, 12:10:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

48builder

It's been over 20 years since I installed springs on a GM front end. I'm in the process of putting my '87 Grand Prix front clip back together, and I worked on the springs a little yesterday, but had to quit for dinner.

I have a good internal spring compressor, and I can crank it down enough so I can get the sring in place, but I still lack a good 4 inches from being able to install the spindle. Maybe I just need to crank down the compressor some more, but when I do that the threaded rod of the compressor hits the shock tower. I thought about using my floor jack under the lower arm to try and raise it up, but a little "danger" flag was waving in my head. When taking a spring out, I always put a safety chain around the pring and arm, and I suppose I could do that before trying to jack the arm up. I decided to wait and ask you guys for advice.

Thansk in advance

Walt
'48 Chevy Custom sedan in progress-Z28 LT1 drivetrain, chopped, shortened, too many other body mods to list
'39 Chevy driver

wayne petty

does the upper half of your spring compressor come off cleanly...  leaving the upper nut and thrust washer..??? will the threaded shaft fit through the upper shock hole????   if so...  crank the spring up into the spring pocket in the frame.. you might want to put a piece of tape on a coil so you know if it is turning in the pocket.. you have to be close to get it in alignment in the lower control arm...

this is how i have done. it.. besides muscling it in with floor jacks and big pry bars...

a tip for others reading this..
one thing...  ever wonder why suspension bushings tear out soon after installation...       you have to tighten them at ride height... not with the suspension hanging...   this puts them in a neutral position.. so they can twist up and down...   but when they are tightened with the suspension hanging.. they are already in a tight twist when you get to ride height. when you bottom out the suspension... it tears the rubber ... end of bushing..

many dealerships have a control arm attachment for a jack.. this allows you to compress the spring onto the lower control arm...   place the arm on this jig.. and jack it straight up... into the frame brackets.. and the steering knuckle..

hope this helps...

Jokester

Yes, put a chain on the spring in case something lets go.

Jack under the outer end of the lower arm.  It helps if you have several fat friends that can sit on the fender to help compress the spring.

my 2 cents.

.bjb
To the world you\'re just one person; but to one person, you might be the world.

tomslik

IF the engine is in the car, i use a cheap little floor jack (the little 30 buck one with the small pad) that's about the same size as a lower ball joint and put it under the joint.
very seldom use a compessor any more...
unless there's no weight on the front end, then ya about have to...
The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it\'s still on my list

UGLY OLDS

This is going to sound crazy ..BUT.....Use the chain as everyone has reccomended..( VERY dangerous If the spring comes out under pressure....You WONT like it & you WILL remember it....Been there..Done that ...) .. :shock:

To assist in collapsing the spring with a floor jack under the lower control arm, put a jackstand under the OPPOSITE corner in the REAR of the car...

( IE: You are installing the L/Front spring...The jackstand goes under the R/Rear corner of the car....As far back as possible....Capiech??)

This will allow the entire weight of the car to work with you....The spring will not lift the front of the car but will compress as the other REAR corner of the car cannot travel down....

Bad explanation but it's worked for me for a long time ...Learned it from an "Old Guy" ...( See paragraph 1 above...Think "Apprentice".... :oops: )

Bob.................. :wink:

Oh...Wayne's comment above on the bushing installation...100% on the $$$...Same thing with an idler arm......Tighten it down with the wheels "turned" to one side??  Then spend hours trying to correct the "pull" to that side...Again..Don't ask me how I know.... :oops:  :oops:
1940 Oldsmobile- The "Ugly Olds"
1931 Ford sedan- Retirement project

***** First Member of Team Smart*****

48builder

Thatnks for the tips, guys!

I'll give it a try tomorrow with the floor jack and jack stand on the opposing corner. And, I will put the safety chain on. Don't need that accident on Chistmas eve.

BTW, have a nice Christmas!

Walt
'48 Chevy Custom sedan in progress-Z28 LT1 drivetrain, chopped, shortened, too many other body mods to list
'39 Chevy driver