Hurst 4 speed shifter problem

Started by Topsterguy, December 19, 2008, 01:54:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Topsterguy

I'm putting a BW Super T-10 4 speed in the 40 pickup. Lined the arms up with a 1/4" drill bit thru the line up hole etc and set the rods up. 1,2,3,4 all work fine , but I can't get it to go into the reverse gate - not even an indication that it's there. Anyone got any idea what the problem could be, or know of a link where I could find the troubleshooting for this? I was thinking it might be to do with the two bolts, one front and one at the back of the shifter body, but not knowing anything about these shifters I don't want to mess with them and screw things up worse!
"If a man is alone in the forest and speaks, and there\'s no woman around, is he still wrong?"

Charlie Chops 1940

The two bolts at the front and rear are limiters so you don't have travel after it's in gear. Is the shifter engaging the reverse arm at all? I there a chance that you have the reverse lever backwards on the post out of the trans. If so you are trying to move it in the wrong direction.

Google BW 4 speeds and like sites - maybe, Hurst and find an assembly diagram.

Charlie
A good friend will come and bail you out of jail...but, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying. "Wow...that was fun!"

Poster geezer for retirement....

A Hooligan!

Mikej

Does the shifter work when its not hooked to the transmission?  Does the shift arm on the trans move free?  If not did you try turning the transmission?

wayne petty

by grabbing the reverse lever on the side of the trans...  will it move the lower part of the shifter...  this will tell you if the lever on the side of the trans is right side up....

there is a spring at the end of the neutral gate to stop you from going into reverse... so it might be hard to get the shifter into reverse with the tranny on the bench or floor...

one last thing...   did the drill bit go all the way through the 3 levers on the shifter???  i just put a top loader in the fairlane project... and the reverse lever on the shifter where the rods hook up was way offset from the others...

just a few random thoughts...

Topsterguy

Thanks for the help!   I loosened everything off again and it turned out the reverse lockout pin was hitting against the mounting plate so I have to space the shifter  head  out 1/4" so the pin will clear.  Thanks again! :D
"If a man is alone in the forest and speaks, and there\'s no woman around, is he still wrong?"