Old Vette motor in the shop

Started by Crosley.In.AZ, December 18, 2008, 10:22:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crosley.In.AZ

We have this old corvette motor in the shop... setup for a special autometic /converter combo.

You do not see many of these engines laying around.

see photos
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

wayne petty

I love the starter location...  under the intake manifold...

since that motor was manufactured for gm by mercury marine... does it use antifreeze... or salt water for coolant??? i have always wondered... :lol:

Bib_Overalls

I did not know such a thing existed.  The starter location will really open up space in a tight chassis.
An Old California Rodder
Hiding Out In The Ozarks

29bowtie

I remember California Street Rods built that 32 Chevy roadster(Experi-metal steel repro body) with one of those ZR-1 engines. It was some organizations give away car.

Grandadeo

Quote from: "29bowtie"I remember California Street Rods built that 32 Chevy roadster(Experi-metal steel repro body) with one of those ZR-1 engines. It was some organizations give away car.

NSRA Giveaway car at the Nats several years ago.  I believe Chevy donated a ZR-1 as a parts car for the build.  Wonder where it is now.

Lee
Salt Is Good... Mk 9:50

Jbird

Is this engine based on the Caddy Northstar dohc 32valve unit? Sure looks similar, and, the starter is in the same place.  Jbird 8)
A biblical plague would come in real handy just about now
Badges? Badges? We don\'t need no stinking Badges!!
Team Smarts official dumbfounder
The first liar ain\'t got a chance

rumrumm

This engine was designed by Lotus and built for GM by Mercury Marine. It was discontinued for the Corvette when the LS series came into production. I have an acquaintance in town that has a 'vette with this ZR-1 engine. It is a pretty cool engine and I don't know why GM discontinued it and went back to a pushrod V8. Perhaps it was deemed too expensive to continue building for just one vehicle. But they also built the Aztec, so who knows what goes on in the heads of GM muckety-mucks.
Lynn
'32 3W

I write novels, too. https://lsjohanson.com

unklian

Quote from: "rumrumm"...But they also built the Aztec, ...

Someone thought it was a good idea,
and they convinced their Bosses to go along with it.

Ugly 4 cyl econo-box.      Just the sort of thing Washington wants.    :roll:

enjenjo

QuoteUgly 4 cyl econo-box. Just the sort of thing Washington wants.  

Preview of the Pelosi.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

tomslik

Quote from: "Jbird"Is this engine based on the Caddy Northstar dohc 32valve unit? Sure looks similar, and, the starter is in the same place.  Jbird 8)

late model land cruiser starters are in the same place :roll:
probably others too.

i don't think the vette motor leaks oil.

thats a standard option on the northstars and aurora engines.
:shock:

now, don't go picking on the asstick, the tiger woods buick version ain't no prize...
The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it\'s still on my list

Crosley.In.AZ

This is a new crate motor...  these engines were never released with an automatic trans in the vette.

The crank shaft has a different pilot hole diameter than a regular chevy engine V8 design.  The inner side of the 4L80E bell housing at the top peak area  will need a slight clearance adjustment  for the starter bendix to clear.

The story is the motor was shipped to us for the installation of a 4L80E trans with a custom converter... then the motor & trans are to be shipped to Iraq for a street rod under construction there.

I wonder if our troops are involved in a rod building project?
Tony

57larry

wayne petty

Quote from: "Crosley"This is a new crate motor...  these engines were never released with an automatic trans in the vette.

The story is the motor was shipped to us for the installation of a 4L80E trans with a custom converter... then the motor & trans are to be shipped to Iraq for a street rod under construction there.

I wonder if our troops are involved in a rod building project?

i take it that you are also going to include the torque converter bolts, trans to engine bolts,  trans mount with hardware.. for ease of installation over there.. just for good will..  

maybe offer a locking dipstick tube that is bent to properly fit that motor.

some kind of torque converter cover... cast aluminum version with the with the starter opening welded up... so it can seal tight...

one more thing...   does that possible desert sand area call for a dust boot type rear seal like was used on mopar transmissions as an option for the customer to consider as an option...

there are just thoughts....

Crosley.In.AZ

wayne,

it will include the proper hardware since this is a one off installation.

dust cover?  I doubt that.

I do not even know what controller will be used for the 4L80E  or the engine.

I knew one of the engineers at the  time GM was testing the 4L80E transmission behind this engine.  He told me the engine struggled to recover RPM after a shift because the converter was too heavy.  I remember telling him :" build a lighter converter"

8)
Tony

OldSub

Quote from: "rumrumm"It is a pretty cool engine and I don't know why GM discontinued it and went back to a pushrod V8.
I've been told they take special tools and training to keep them running.  One 'vette publication says make sure you have a good ZR-1 ready service facility within a couple hundred miles.

They don't compete performance wise with the much less complicated or expensive LS-7 motors available in today's Corvettes.

Steve@OldSub.com
www.OldSub.com . www.MaxwellGarage.com . www.OldGasTowRigs.com