1981 Thunderbird IFS under a 1940 Ford

Started by Gerron, December 04, 2008, 06:37:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gerron

Hello Everyone,
This is my first attempt in a forum. I hope this works. I have been told that a 1981 Thunderbird IFS was a factory bolt-on rather than a welded unit. Can anyone verify that? If so, would it fit, without alterations, on a 1940 Ford frame?
Thanks - Gerron

Okiedokie

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://team321.com/truckirs/truckirs.html  

Take a look at this site. I believe you will find it is too wide. Joe

GPster

Welcome I hope when I get as old as you two guys (soon) I can tell the difference between F and R. I'm sure someone here has an idea but maybe it's too early in the morning. GPster

Gerron

Thanks Joe for your response. The link you supplied is for IRS. I'm looking to do my front suspension which is a '40 split wishbone solid axle, with a 1981 Thunderbird cross member and suspension.
Ron

Okiedokie

Well, it was fairly early in the AM, and I am close to retirement. What can I say. Glad GPster is here to keep me straight. Anyway, the front will be too wide also. A Chevy pu [73-87] bolts in also, but it is also too wide.

Okiedokie

By the way, if that axle is dropped [I assume it is if bones are split], I might be interested in purchasing it, depending on your location. If you end up going with iFs keep me in mind. One more thing, Chassis Engineering sell a MII bolt in crossmember for a 40. Joe

enjenjo

In a word, no. The T bird is a strut suspension, which has two mounting points high on the body, just under the hood. That would be somewhere above the fenders on a 40 Ford.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

Gerron

Thank you very much for your answer Joe. This saved me time and possibly money down the drain. This is a great forum. I,m glad I joined.
Gerron

Gerron

Thanks enjenjo. Your response solidifies my not going that way.
Hi Okiedokie - It is a stock 40 solid axle with the bones split at the tranny mount. It has two inch dropped spindles with disks. Everything is satin black powder coated. I live in Methuen, Massachusetts on the New Hampshire border. I have no idea what the shipping cost would be. I have checked into CE. A little too pricey for my budget.
Gerron

Charlie Chops 1940

About the only reasonable choice in terms of cost for IFS on a '40 Ford would be a MII kit. I like the Heidts MII crossmember kit. I have one under my '40 Chevy and it's still going strong after 60K or so I convert it to Pro Shock coil overs.

They also offer an upscale coilover IFS with tubular a-arms called Super Ride. I've used a couple of those and they work well.

Or s dropped beam axle with cross steer still works okay too.

Charlie
A good friend will come and bail you out of jail...but, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying. "Wow...that was fun!"

Poster geezer for retirement....

A Hooligan!

Gerron

Thanks Charlie. Is it better to buy the entire MII kit, spindle to spindle, or just the cross member and but the suspension components from a nice boneyard Mustang?
Ron

enjenjo

You can get a You weld crossmember from Welders Series, and use boneyard parts for the rest.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

Okiedokie

If money is one of the top priorities on your 40, the beam axle can be made to perform extremely well. I have had both and my 40 sedan with dropped Super Bell and Posies spring was certainly no slouch in ride or handling. My current 40 coupe has CE MII, but is yet undriven. My 46 coupe has MII and it is great. I have another 40 sedan that will become a retirement project and my plan for it is to use a beam axle. Honestly, unless you are planning lots of cross country driving, I am not sure you would know a difference. Have you driven your 40 and are unhappy with the ride/drive? Joe

Gerron

It's still in the work in progress stage, so I have not driven the car. I have had other folks tell me to keep the solid axle also. I propably should give it a chance to see if I like the ride. There are many other places on the car I could spend the money on. Thanks for your thoughts Joe,
Ron

Charlie Chops 1940

What Enjenjo said.

I used stock upper and lower a-rms but I boxed the bottom of the lowers since I was using coilovers and had to have a bracket off the front side for a sway bay.

Charlie
A good friend will come and bail you out of jail...but, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying. "Wow...that was fun!"

Poster geezer for retirement....

A Hooligan!