4.6 DOHC in a 32: Anyone Doing/Done It

Started by 345 DeSoto, November 20, 2008, 07:36:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

345 DeSoto

I Posted this on another "Traditional" Rod Site, and got NAILED, so I thought I'd ask here.  I'm getting parts together to build a Lincoln Mark VIII aluminum block 4.6 DOHC. It will be Stock EFI with a 4R70W tranny going into a "Z" framed '32. Have settled on a Lo Boy Roadster, and have been eyeing the Speedway Motors stretched body, and their frame/components. I WILL build it as close to a 50's set up as I can (with the exception of the EFI/ECU controlled engine/trans). Any thoughts on running the Lincon 4.6 engine? I'm going to need a BUNCH of help/leads  reprograming the ECU.  With the EDIS 8 system, and polished rocker (cam) covers it looks an AWFUL lot like a Mopar Hemi at first glance...

34ford

Is this what you are looking for??

This all that I have. The guy lives here in Lincoln and works at Speedway Motors.

345 DeSoto

Yea...and I also got told that the DOHC was way to wide to fit under a hood with sides... :roll:

Uncle Bob

Before you get too excited that looks like a Taurus SHO V6 not the mod motor V8.  You'll probably have to use "bubbles" on the hood sides much like the hemi guys do to cover the V8.  Otherwise, if you're creative, it should be a cool installation.
Luck occurs when preparation and opportunity meet.

tomslik

i'm not counting enough intake runners and the "sho" tells me it's prolly a 3.0 v-6 taurus sho engine.
NOT the same thing as a 4.6 dohc linc motor...and the ARE big.

that's why i didn't say anything on the HAMB cuz i don't KNOW if they'll fit.
about all i know is they came in some of the lincoln trucks and contientals and they don't seem to have the plug launching problems the 4.6-5.4l sohc engines do..
The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it\'s still on my list

GPster

Quote from: "345 DeSoto"Yea...and I also got told that the DOHC was way to wide to fit under a hood with sides... :roll:
I look at old magazines and every once in a while and I see a good ideas and am amazed that they didn't catch on. His name escapes me but the guy that used to (maybe still does) build drag vehicles with Allison aircraft engines once had a project history written about him. I believe it was before his Allison projects but he once had a Duece coupe. He had that narrow engine compartment problem (around a Hemi?) and solved the problem by joining top of the hood and top of the cowl together. The firewall was pushed back almost to the "A" pillars and the engine was mounted to the rear of this new compartment. That allowed the width of the engine to be further back where the flairing out of the hood didn't present the problem of a engine mounted more foreward. This might be an easier solution with the longer Speedway passenger compartment and working it out with fiberglass might be a simple prospect. The idea is old enough that it should rate as traditional but if you've gotten over that stop you might doctor that cowl enough to also doctor the cowl enough to install hidden wipers like the new cars have. I'll be quiet now, GPster

kb426

According to Ford, the 4.6 dohc is 30 inches wide and the 302 is 18.75. The 302 in my 32 has the alternator touching the hood on the right side and some space on the left. It won't be an easy swap. There are aftermarket wiring harnesses. I'd suggest you use one unless you are really good with electrics. I have efi on mine and have had a little fun finding a place to run all the wires. EEC iv is a 60 wire harness. I know eec v was 104. I know nothing about yours.
TEAM SMART

345 DeSoto

I'm using an EEC IV 60 pin ECU and EDIS 8 ignition...

wayne petty

one thing.... out from the fringe...    with todays ability to metal fab almost every part...      why not build a wide radiator grill... and reduce the taper of the hood and side panels...  the frame would also need to be modified... to look right...

perhaps ...   changing the shape of the hood and side panels...  so instead of nice straight sides...   they have a curve  to the sides... since the side panels don't hinge... they release...  using cables instead of rods....

like i said ... from the fringe...  i will now continue making my self dizzy by spinning on my office chair...

oh... and... how much reprogramming is really needed in the ecm to make it run...  i wonder...  i take it that you might want a ton of extra power...

i seem to recall that those motors when new... were over 30K if you needed a replacement... and the first ones were made in italy..

spin spin spin...

wayne

345 DeSoto

I'm not really that excited about using any sort of hood.  It was just the idea that the remark probably came from someone who had no idea what they were talking about.  Not really that hot about wringing mega horse power out of it either.  If the Mark 4.6 runs as well as my Eldorado Northstar 4.6 (WICKED quick), I'll be plenty happy with it.  After all, the '32 should be a couple pounds lighter than either the Mark that the engine came in, or my Eldorado... :D

Bib_Overalls

Real hot rods don't have hoods (or fenders).
An Old California Rodder
Hiding Out In The Ozarks

wayne petty

Quote from: "345 DeSoto"I'm not really that excited about using any sort of hood.  It was just the idea that the remark probably came from someone who had no idea what they were talking about. ... :D

you are absolutly right..

i will but out....
did not mean to offend you

wayne..

papastoyss

A friend has this combo in a 38 Ford pickup. It's the one in the PPG ads in 2007. He had major problems with parts compatibility, getting the correct ECU. He was using a 9" rear & the 0riginal combo used a speed sensor in the 8.8 rear end. Street & Performance supplied the harness & helped him get it straightened out. It runs sweet now but it was a lot of headaches for a good while.
grandchildren are your reward for not killing your teenagers!

345 DeSoto

WAYNE PETTY,
  NO offense taken at all... :D

345 DeSoto

PAPASTOYSS,
 When I got the engine, I also snagged EVERYthing that even remotely connected to it...and the transmission.  All the modules, sensors, wiring, harnesses, ECM...EVERYthing.  Farther down the road, I can start eliminating unnecessary functions, but I KNOW how all the electronics seem to be exact vehicle specific, so I grabbed it all...