shuttle shifting 700r4 question

Started by Entoman, November 19, 2008, 02:51:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Entoman

Been a while, but I got another tranny question...
1989 pickup, 350 with a 700r4.  tranny was rebuilt bout 20K ago.
put the transgo shift kit into the valve body.  Has the .500 TVboost valve, beast sun shell etc....works well except for one problem
at approx 35 mph at partial throttle, it will shift up, then down, then up then down ad infinitum.  stops once I get to 40, or I am not trying to maintain 35 mph...
So...did I get a spring wrong?  if so, which one would u recommend I change?

Thanks in advance.
Doug

345 DeSoto

Can't help, but I hope you get an answer...I've got the same problem...

57larry

anybody on the board rebuild trannys? I got a couple 350's that need going thru

Crosley.In.AZ

check for full pull of the  TV cable first

add 1 clik to the TV adjustment....if possible.

DO you have the proper geometry  on the carb ?
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

Entoman

Quote from: "Crosley"check for full pull of the  TV cable first

add 1 clik to the TV adjustment....if possible.

DO you have the proper geometry  on the carb ?

Already tried all of this....the carb is the origional Throttle body that was stock with the 700r4...so I suspect the geometry is correct...that is it worked correctly until this rebuild

adding a click to the TV cable seemed to help some until I put the foot on the floor and it clicked again...but it still would shuttle shift...
I am asking this question cause I am rebuilding the engine and have the tranny out...kinda easy to do work right now..

Problem is I don't do enough of these rebuilds to know right from wrong all of the time.

345 DeSoto

It FEELS like the Torque Converter is locking/unlocking/locking/unlocking, etc....

Entoman

Quote from: "345 DeSoto"It FEELS like the Torque Converter is locking/unlocking/locking/unlocking, etc....

Not for me...the converter is not shuttling, it is going from 2nd to 3rd to 2nd to 3rd etc. etc...

345 DeSoto

...Oh... :oops:  I don't know where you're located, but if you call this number (772) 220-6062 (Palm City Transmission) ask for John.  He's the owner.  Tell him Tony deFoster refered you.  He is, without a doubt, the hands down BEST transmission guy I've ever come across.  He will be able to tell you over the phone exactly what the problem is, and how to fix it.  He diagnosed  a problem that I had with my Jaguar BW66 tranny, over the phone, and he was right on the money.  I've since had 2 trannys rebuilt by him and they're perfect...one of them a 700R-4 he built from a bare case up...

Entoman

Thanks for the reference.  I am located in Southern Illinois...
Doug

Quote from: "345 DeSoto"...Oh... :oops:  I don't know where you're located, but if you call this number (772) 220-6062 (Palm City Transmission) ask for John.  He's the owner.  Tell him Tony deFoster refered you.  He is, without a doubt, the hands down BEST transmission guy I've ever come across.  He will be able to tell you over the phone exactly what the problem is, and how to fix it.  He diagnosed  a problem that I had with my Jaguar BW66 tranny, over the phone, and he was right on the money.  I've since had 2 trannys rebuilt by him and they're perfect...one of them a 700R-4 he built from a bare case up...