Need Help, broken bolts

Started by msuguydon, November 16, 2008, 03:29:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

msuguydon

My son dragged home a stray.. I was trying to help him with a few things.  Emphasis on trying.. noticed the throttle cable bracket was loose, I tightened the bol and snapped it.  

How do I get the broken bolt out of the hole.  I assume I have to drill it out.. never having done that I am not sure what to do and do not want to cause myself even more problems..

Would plastic be okay for you today?

Proud Member of Team Smart

Charlie Chops 1940

Center punch the bolt end, drill it smaller than the bolt size and then use an ez-out. Is the bolt still sticking out? If so, you could weld another bolt to it, then back it out. Is that housing aluminum? If so, odd that the bolt would break so easy. Whatever. If the bolt is broke right at the surface  you could cut a slot with a cut-off wheel.

Not knowing how well equipped your shop is I'm not sure which suggestions are useful.

Charlie
A good friend will come and bail you out of jail...but, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying. "Wow...that was fun!"

Poster geezer for retirement....

A Hooligan!

GPster

I'd almost say that it probably wasn't the correct bolt . It probably wouldn't hold the bracket down because it was bottomed in the hole. Charlies advise is good but you have to be careful trying to drill down throught the center of that bolt because if it is bottomed out and you drill clear through it you will have drilled into the intake manifold. Have you got a reversible drill? If you do then using a drill bit normally, start drilling into the bolt as Charlie suggests. You don't have to drill too much but it will make a good hole for centering further drilling. Check around the harware like stores (Harbor Freight. W W Grainger , Sears   ?) for left handed drill bits. With your drill in reverse use that centering hole to start drilling  on the bolt. The drilling it reverse should start the bolt un-screwing. The way I looked at your picture it looked like the intake manifold was aluminum. If that assumption was correct then that bolt wouldn't be rusted in, so any un-screwing motion ought to bring out a bolt that was bottomed. Still be carefull because a reverse drill bit will still drill a hole. If it doesn't back the bolt out you can still use an easy-out. While you're drilling watch the shavings coming out of the hole. As soon as you see aluminum shavings stop.

Crosley.In.AZ

Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

enjenjo

That looks like a 4mm bolt. If so, I would not use an easy out, too easy for an inexperienced tech to break, and then you have a real problem.

I have a fair measure of success getting out broken bolts, and here is how I would do it.

The bolt more than likely is stuck from corrosion caused by dissimilar metals in contact. So to start with, I would drill a small hole through the bolt, using a 1/8" bit, making sure it's centered. Once you have a hole through the bolt, put some PB Blaster in the hole, and let it set for at least 24 hours. then use the left hand drill that was suggested above, at a very slow speed. More than likely it will screw itself out, but if it doesn't, drill it once more with a dril just larger than the minor diameter of the bolt, then pick the remaing bolt out of the threads with a bent pick. Chase the threads, then install the new bolt with Never Seize.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

msuguydon

Guys.. I am a member of team smart, and I am trying to be a good dad here.. left handed drill bit..  :shock:  that sounds a lot like blinker fluid.. I am just saying.. you guys can have tons of fun at my expense, I am good with that.. but not this time..  its the kids baby!

It is an aluminum manifold..  

I would prefer to use hand tools if possible as me and power tools can be a lethal mix..

phat rat

Quote from: "msuguydon"Guys.. I am a member of team smart, and I am trying to be a good dad here.. left handed drill bit..  :shock:  that sounds a lot like blinker fluid.. I am just saying.. you guys can have tons of fun at my expense, I am good with that.. but not this time..  its the kids baby!

I would prefer to use hand tools if possible as me and power tools can be a lethal mix..

With a comeback like that did you get promoted to Chief of Team Smart? You need to use the search engine and Google left handed drill bits. Then you'll find you were given excellent advice. I think you probably better take it to someone as hand tools are not likely to do the job unless you are very lucky and the bolt isn't really stuck.
Some days it\'s not worth chewing through the restraints.

enjenjo

Quote from: "msuguydon"Guys.. I am a member of team smart, and I am trying to be a good dad here.. left handed drill bit..  :shock:  that sounds a lot like blinker fluid.. I am just saying.. you guys can have tons of fun at my expense, I am good with that.. but not this time..  its the kids baby!

In that case, take it to a pro. It will be cheaper in the long run.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

Fat Cat

http://www.mytoolstore.com/hanson/hanson.html

wayne petty

those look like 8MM X1.25 pitch bolts on an nissan intake manifold...

if you are dangerous with electric tools... do get a pro..

FYI     start with this article to learn more..

http://www.enginebuildermag.com/Article/2016/removal_tricks_for_broken_ford_flathead_bolts.aspx   it has pictures also...

this one is good to read also

http://www.enginebuildermag.com/Article/1988/engine_builders_vs_broken_bolts_and_studs.aspx

when incorrect bolts get installed...

when the wrong thread bolts get installed.. they get really tight in the hole and don't like to back out easily...   drilling with increasing sizes... trying to go straight through far enough to get an easy out in  without ruining the threads is hard...   i almost always keep 8mm X 1.25 pitch heli coils in my tool box...  so i can after i get the bolt out.. drill it oversize and tap it for the heli coil... thread that in carefully .. breaking off the tang and removing it..     i also keep self tapping solid thread inserts in my box.. but those... even through they are really easy to install are hard to find...

if the bolt bottoms out in the hole...  it gets a bit harder... the idea is to drill alway through the bolt.. but since you have a matching hole next to is... cutting a short length of tubing to limit the depth of the drill bit... so you don't drill into the intake manifold passages... which would scatter metal into the intake ports...

experiance... is what is needed... lot of it..

and with left handed drill bits...  they do exist...  you drill the centering hole shallow... with a 1/8" double ended drill bit.. as they are cheeper usually...   and with the variable speed drill adjusted to slow... burry the larger left hand drill bit into the broken stud... it will dig in... and hopefully spin the bolt out of the hole...

GPster

Have you started thinking that that Pontiac Tempest would have been a better deal yet? GPster

msuguydon

Quote from: "GPster"Have you started thinking that that Pontiac Tempest would have been a better deal yet? GPster

Nope... he is 17 and he bought a hot rod for his generation.. Nissan 240sx with a RB20det motor... which is an inline six cylinder turbo charged, inter-cooled motor, the motor produces 275 hp and the car is rear wheel drive..  J30 rear end, five speed, 3 inch exhaust...

he found the car on his own, convinced mom he woud not kill himself it in, was patient, made the seller sweat a bit, negotiated with the owner, paid cash, got the guy to knock off $1,900 and got a whale of a deal.. and all his buddies are jealous, chics dig it., he has already twide been offered a lot more for it thanwhat he paid for it.  

I am proud of him.. maybe he can be the first family member that is not a member of Team Smart

58 Yeoman

....and one little broken bolt has it grounded.... :shock:

you'll get it fixed.
I survived the Hyfrecator 2000.

"Life is what happens when you're making other plans."
1967 Corvair 500 2dr Hardtop
1967 Corvair 500 4dr Hardtop
Phil

msuguydon

Quote from: "58 Yeoman"....and one little broken bolt has it grounded.... :shock:

you'll get it fixed.

It is fixed, got it fixed yesterday.. there are always work arounds...  :D

phat rat

Congrats you got that fixed fast! Now it's time to fix the boats door. LOL
Some days it\'s not worth chewing through the restraints.