zero gap 360 degree seal exhaust clamps

Started by Land Yacht, November 14, 2008, 06:16:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Land Yacht

Has anyone used these? Instead of using a U-bolt clamp at the muffler pipe, where the muffler pipe slides over the exhaust pipe and the U-bolt compresses one over the other. Instead with this type of clamp you use a muffler with the same OD as the exhaust pipe, butt the ends together and the clamp seals the joint. I was thinking it would make it easy to seperate if you wanted to change mufflers, wouldn't need to hacksaw the pipe ends off.
1965 Impala SS 283/250 -sold- :(
1977 Chevy Caprice -totaled 2005 :(

1999 Chevy S-10 ZR2  Bacon Getter

phat rat

Are you thinking bands like this? http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?autofilter=1&part=BOR%2D18004&N=700+4294923429+4294919986+115&autoview=sku

If so that's what I'm using on my cpe. They've been on there for 73,000 mi with no problem. I did however slide one pipe inside the other, but my exhaust system is all stainless so no rust
Some days it\'s not worth chewing through the restraints.

Land Yacht

Yep, that's it. They have some for butt joints and others for lap joints. Seems like a good way to go vs crusshing the pipes with a U clamp.
1965 Impala SS 283/250 -sold- :(
1977 Chevy Caprice -totaled 2005 :(

1999 Chevy S-10 ZR2  Bacon Getter

Fat Cat

If you went with the butted type that would allow for easy disassembly but if you use the lapped type on non-stainless pipe they pipe will rust and they will be stuck together. We use these clamps on truck exhausts at the place I work. Even with the lapped type I have seen these connections come apart due to age and vibration. So there is something to be said for keeping the connections together.

Beck

I bought a potato chip truck that had a diesel converson done to it previously (most of them and the bread trucks have). It used this type of joint at the flex pipe. I am planning to continue using them on my diesel project. The ones I have were stepped. The flex pipe is bigger than the exhaust tube. I think these had quite a few miles on them. There was rust and pits on the steel exhaust tube when I removed them. One of the clamps was deteriorated and cracked. The other was good when I removed it. I like the concept.

enjenjo

I have not seen any that are set up for butted pipes, only for one pipe inside another, but we used the band clamps on trucks for over 30 years. You can get them at NAPA, they are about $7 each. One time use if you tighten them all the way, so for mock up just snug them up.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

river1

Most people have a higher than average number of legs.

Danimal

I work in OE exhaust and I'll just say you'd better have the pipes right or these things leak.

Go with a regular gasketed flange or a Marmon flange to do it with no leaks.