Fuel line plumbing

Started by GPster, November 06, 2008, 10:05:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GPster

The Jeepster is so compact that while trying to solve a problem I find myself working around another one. Sliding the engine back in the S15 frame has made the fuel line supplies and returns nowhere near their original destinations. In the old days with a carburated engine it would only be one line and a different piece of rubber hose. Now I'm looking at high pressure fittings.  The steel fuel lines go from the gas tank (which I kept in it's original location with the original lines) foreward inside the frame rails and immerge from the front crossmember as rubber lines with a crimped coupling to steel lines that goes back to the fuel filter and the return from the throttle body. These steel lines are what need to be lengthened (about 8"). Anyone know of a site where I can look at fittings/coupling/lines to cofuse myself further. The fittings are not just simple inverted flare, they are like the fittings on the power steering lines where the line has a ferrel like place that the line is formed into and a rubber "O" ring to seal the joint. I'm trying to figure out if I should just find lines with male/female fittings and just screw them on the ends of what's there to complete the circuit or if I could part the steel lines and put an extension  in the middle of the run in the engine compartment so that the stock fittings are at their original location on the engine. I may scout the junkyard for lines from a like S10 with a like engine and couple the two sets of lines for the added length needed but what type of connection is necessary for this application? Does it have to be the "O" ring sealed stock variety or would double-flared, brazed/silver soldered, or compression fittings (with a ferrel) be satisfactory. I'm only as smart as barbed fittings and hose clamps but I think this task involves more than that. GPster

enjenjo

You are only seeing about 50 psi, so a compression fitting is plenty.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

GPster

That answer is even easier than asking the question. Thanks GPster

GPster

I thought I had it all figured out but I forgot where I put it. I thought I had a nice straight run of tubing on top of the frame and under the Top "A" frame and under my steering shaft. I went out to examine the best place to put the fittings and behold, those lines go from steel to rubber and back to steel before their connections at the engine. So the straight steel lines are not as long or accessible as I had thought or hoped. When a steel line is coupled with a crimped sleeve to a rubber line is the steel line barbed where it goes into the hose under the crimp? Can I just cut the crimps and pull the stell line out of the hose and use longer pieces of hose and regular clamps? This all seems like a lot of trouble to preserve a tubing nightmare  because the steel lines on the engine come out of the front of the throttle body and curve down and under the intake manifold ( this is a 2.5L Iron Duke four), go to the back of the engine, curl around the valve cover and then head back up to the front crossmember. The way these engines eat motor mounts I can see why there are so many rubber lines. GPster

enjenjo

You should be able too. Just be sure you have fuel injection hose, regular fuel hose won't hold up.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

wayne petty

the newest goodyear fuel injection hose even has a tough liner to help contain the pressure....  the liner is blue...

the o rings are also important to replace...  the o ring cross section becomes D shapped... and will leak  if removed and reinstalled in some cases...

the are available in fuel rail seal kits... for 86 to 89 5.0 tpi vin F camaros ...so you will have plenty to do many... for just a few bucks...

as for hose clamps on higher pressure lines... they make some that have a complete wrap under the exposed threads that are cut in the clamp.///
this prevents the clamp from digging in too deep....

and every port fuel injected gm car has flex hoses with the right fittings that you need to hook up the fuel lines ....  

i will be making a junk yard run... if you have a length you need.. in the coming week..  montazuma got me this week....

GPster

Well for the time the early style 2WD 2.5L powered S10 trucks has appeared to have dried up. V6 powered 4x4 S10 Blazers are not much like what I wanted but the line size and fittings (for lack of their proper name GM OEM) were the same. I've got enough pieces to make something work but I'll keep looking because it will be neater if I could find duplicates of what I have and just couple them together in the rubber flex hoses near the upper "A" arms. Every time I look at it I think of a different way to fix it, and a different thing that needs fixed. GPster

GPster

My (one of the many)problem is that this computor is nearer than the junkyard. Second try netted just what I wanted the engine had been pulled already and surprisingly the rubber lines hadn't been cut with a knife. The truck has also been sitting out in the weather with no hood on it so I could get a better look at how the lines out of the chassis fit together. One of my ides may get to work. GPster