shipping to oz?

Started by tomslik, November 04, 2008, 05:06:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tomslik

anybody do this?
i got a guy that wants to bid on some wheels (ebay) that i've got and i have NO idea how to ship internationally.
i'm thinkin' paypal only though but that's the easy part...
The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it\'s still on my list

58 Yeoman

You can go to USPS.com and figure out int'l shipping charges (or at least get an idea); you'll need his/her mailing codes.

Also, ebay only allows on-line paying now, since around Oct. 20.  You can use other on-line pay services besides, paypal.
I survived the Hyfrecator 2000.

"Life is what happens when you're making other plans."
1967 Corvair 500 2dr Hardtop
1967 Corvair 500 4dr Hardtop
Phil

tomslik

do you know if there's any kind of "customs" or other such nonsense?

phat rat

Quote from: "tomslik"do you know if there's any kind of "customs" or other such nonsense?

You can also ship them by mail, although you might have to send them separately. Check here for info.  http://ircalc.usps.gov/
The post office has a form for the sender to fill out. Any additional charges by Customs for import will be on their end. I've shipped to Belguim using the mail.
Some days it\'s not worth chewing through the restraints.

Topsterguy

I sent a roadster top  frame down there a couple of years ago and it was about $130 for that via Canada Post , and a LOT more via courier.  There's also a BIG diference between air and surface if he's not in ahurry.
"If a man is alone in the forest and speaks, and there\'s no woman around, is he still wrong?"

GPster

I'd tell him to check with his car buddies down there and see if anyone has a car coming and would let the wheels come in the same container. I was going to give a guy a bunch of car magazines one time because he wanted to start an index of articles and cars that were featured. He let me know what loading dock to have them delivered to so that I could figure ground shipping for them. At the time ground shipping would run him $300.00 plus in our money so the books never made it out of Ohio. Those wheels won't fit a Toyota will they? Maybe Carps has a way of moving them. GPster

C9

Not a prob.

With Oz or any other non-communist country.

USPS is the way to go.
You may want to call and check whether you should packs the wheels singly or in pairs.

When you get to the post office find the form that says something like "Customs Declarations."

Aside from addresses and package contents description you have three chioices.

A sold item.
A prototype item.
A gift.

Checking off gift makes life a lot easier for the recipient far as customs tariffs etc. go.

Never had a problem with Oz, NZ or the UK.
A couple of European countries have been problematic with their 'cashiers' type money order.

Haven't been able to cash one from Austria or deposit it in my bank or credit union.
Only one making out here was the bank - what else is new?

The buyer is out his funds although he got the merchandise and I'm out the funds cuz I can't cash the Money Order. Cashiers Check or whatever the heck it is....
C9

Sailing the turquoise canyons of the Arizona desert.

enjenjo

I ship to OZ all the time. You have to fill out a customs declaration, no big deal. I just check merchandise on the form, and it's never been a  problem. There is no longer a surface mail option to OZ.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

tomslik

i just checked ups and dhl......
ups was cheap at around 500 bucks for a 40lb package :shock:

and why don't we have a "fell over dead" smilley?

i did :shock:

Harry

UPS is the worse.
Up here on the tundra, UPS adds their own brokers fees, and half a dozen other fees. I use DHL to have things shipped here.
I'm sure there will be someone from OZ buying a car or other things, that has room in a container. Ask the potential buyer to look in to it for his own good.

mrloboy

We recently completed a '60 Oldsmobile for a customer from Sydney and will be shipping it along with some other cars, parts, etc in the not too distant future. I am sure there would be ample room for a set of wheels. Not sure if it would be of any help to you by getting the wheels to me in Manitoba, but I would be glad to help if possible. What part of Australia is the customer from? ...Rick

tomslik

Quote from: "mrloboy"We recently completed a '60 Oldsmobile for a customer from Sydney and will be shipping it along with some other cars, parts, etc in the not too distant future. I am sure there would be ample room for a set of wheels. Not sure if it would be of any help to you by getting the wheels to me in Manitoba, but I would be glad to help if possible. What part of Australia is the customer from? ...Rick

edmonton,queensland.
where ever THAT is;)

TJ's Dad

Edmonton is a suburb of Cairns in Far North Queensland ...... a guess would be 3000kms from Sydney.
I\'d rather a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomomy !!!

ASRF Life Member

VHRA Member.

mcdonald

Yes TJ s dad.that it 4500 klm north from Melbourne by the way did you go to Bright all the other ozrodders were there.
Lindsay :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

unklian

I know shipping stuff to Canada, UPS and the like,  
are pretty greedy on "Brokerage Fees".

They also like to charge Duty on everything
they can, even if it isn't required.

That is why I ship using USPS. The Post Office is much more reasonable.