More ball joint/spindle question

Started by RAJ484, October 25, 2008, 06:55:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RAJ484

Guys....need some advice from the experts. On my 38 chevy I have the heidts superide IFS. The pins on the ball joints on passenger side and the top pin on the ball joint on the drivers side bolt down into position without any problem. I'm able to get the cotter pin through the holes in the pins without any trouble. HOWEVER, the lower pin on the drivers side WILL NOT tighten down far enough to get the cotter pin in. Which would be the best way to proceed with this? Do I take it to my local hotrod shop and have him press it on and hope it doesn't do any damage? Should I take some kind of grinder and gently grind down the sides of the pin on the ball joint? Is there something I can use to increase the size of the hole in the spindle. Going back to heidts is not a option cause I got the whole setup locally here maybe 4 years ago. And yes, the spacers on the lower ball joints belong there.
Thanks for the help!!!!!
It drove into my garage...it DID drive back out!!!

enjenjo

just use a thinner spacer on that ball joint. The spacer is only there to line up the castle nut with the pin hole. You sure the spacer doesn't have an uop and down, and is on upside down?

I am not familiar with Heidt's tubular a arms, but on the tube A arms I have used, the spacer goes on the top ball joint.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

Leon

I had to use spacers on my lower joints on the 54, but mine look thinner than that.  Since the passenger side worked fine, I'd take them back apart and look to see why the driver's side is different.  Since that is a tapered hole, it may be that the driver side wasn't bored as deep as the other one.  If there is nothing wrong with the hole on the bottom of the spindle, you could use a thinner spacer under the nut.

C9

It may help to swap nuts.

Doesn't sound like it would help, but I've done it from side to side to get the wheel bearings where I wanted.

You can also grind some off the bottom of the nut.
A different length spacer is probably best.

Any chance there's an obstruction in the cotter pin hole or the notch in the castellated nut?

If things are close you could file the notch in the nut a touch deeper.

How about the tapered hole where the ball joint goes.
Anything in there that would stop the tapered pin from sliding home?
Same deal on the pin, are they all the same diameter, taper?
C9

Sailing the turquoise canyons of the Arizona desert.

RAJ484

Quote from: "C9"It may help to swap nuts.

Doesn't sound like it would help, but I've done it from side to side to get the wheel bearings where I wanted.

Any chance there's an obstruction in the cotter pin hole or the notch in the castellated nut?

Ok, I've checked the bottom holes in both spindles and the hole in the drivers side IS smaller than the hole in the passenger side. I believe that is my problem. So, do I just run it by my local machine shop and have them drill the hole out bigger, OR can I just use a thinner spacer on that side. Also, if I use a thinner spacer will it affect the geometry of the front end when everything is said and done?

RAJ484

Quote from: "C9"It may help to swap nuts.

Ok, I've checked the bottom holes in both spindles and the hole in the drivers side IS smaller than the hole in the passenger side. I believe that is my problem. So, do I just run it by my local machine shop and have them drill the hole out bigger, OR can I just use a thinner spacer on that side. Also, if I use a thinner spacer will it affect the geometry of the front end when everything is said and done?

phat46

I'd call Heidts and ask them WTH.....