Propane questions , BBQ stuff

Started by Crosley.In.AZ, June 17, 2004, 12:18:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crosley.In.AZ

My wife wants a propane  fire pit thingy built for her landscape area in the yard.  It will be for display only , NOT for cooking on.  I have to build the BBQ area too. :lol:

I was told I could build this with a coil of copper tube with some holes drilled in it... facing UP.  I need to add the propane / air mixer thingy on to the copper tube which would feed the propane to the tube to dial in the flame / air mixture

I want to place this under some lava rock or sand in a concave metal disc .  Kinda shaped like a large cooking wok.

I am wondering about the copper tube & heat.  Mayb I need steel or stainless tube?
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

Bruce Dorsi

Quote from: "Crosley"I am wondering about the copper tube & heat.  Mayb I need steel or stainless tube?

There may be a problem using copper.  .....It melts at approx 1979 degrees F.  

Propane/air flame can exceed 3500 degrees F.

Would a burner salvaged from a gas-fired hot water heater give you enough flame?
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

If being smart means knowing what I am dumb at,  I must be a genius!

tomslik

it ain't hot enough down there? :roll:

don't think i'd use copper, stainless would be my choice
The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it\'s still on my list

SKR8PN

Quote from: "tomslik"it ain't hot enough down there? :roll:

don't think i'd use copper, stainless would be my choice

I agree with tomslik.......
IT AIN'T HOT ENOUGH DOWN THERE :shock:  :roll:
I'd use stainless as well.......If the copper tubing melted,you have PLENTY of heat, between the propane,and the wifes temper as she watched her fire pit melt down..........
If we are what we eat.........
Then I am fast,cheap and easy.

propaniac

Crosley,

They make fire rings that you can buy that allready have the holes drilled in them and everything.  They are made out of steel, and have a 1/2" fpt so you can screw it onto a 1/2" nipple. (propane burns with a black sooty residue if you dont add a air/ venturi, you will also get a "rich" burning smell that is not pleasant.)  I use an orifice venturi off of a propane log set) You can get the orifice/venturi and the fire ring at BBQ's galore ( or AZ gas products.  Behind Lowes on Frank llyod Wright)  Its best to install the fire ring  with the holes down to keep them from rusting out.  Make sure you use the green coated pipe underground and tape the uncoated fittings to prevent corrosion.  To make it a real proffesional install use a fire place key valve so it wont get turned on accidentally.  Copper will work too because the flame dosent actually burn on the copper it burns a little off of it.  

Oh yeah and if you use the lava rocks in the fire pit test fire them before the wife gets settled in,  they sometimes explode from trapped gasses.

Good luck

John

Uzarees

I wouldn't use copper but you could use regular black water pipe if you wanted.

I now Walmark sells the parts that goin inside the grill where teh flame is used so I would suggest going that route.  That way you can have your lava rocks on top and still fire it up if need to.

I use regular black water pipe to make propane burners to metal aluminum and cast parts.

its unlikely that the propane even in a copper pipe will get that hot but for safty reasons go with steal

Sean

Finally asked something I can answer..... :wink:

I made a pair of giant Stainless Steel Torches for one of the local rich people a couple years ago. Shaped like giant Wok's, 30 inches deep and about 5 foot across. He was going to mount them on Limestone Pillars at the end of his Driveway.

I made the burners out of 3/4" Black water pipe, rolled into rings. I used a #30 bit to drill the burner holes about every inch or so. He wanted the fire Orange and Smoky, like real torches, so I had to do quite a bit of experimenting with the orifice to get it right.

When I finally got everything right, they produced flames pretty much like the big Torch at the Olympic games. Unfortunately, right after the guy took delivery of them, he died of a massive Stroke. I don't know if they were ever even used....  :(

Crosley.In.AZ

A local rodder here in Az that lurks on this bbs turned me onto a guy in Apache Junction that sells and setups propane stuff.

The local rodder had built a very similar fire pit  deal for his wife that mine wants.
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

tomslik

Quote from: "Sean"Finally asked something I can answer..... :wink:

I made a pair of giant Stainless Steel Torches for one of the local rich people a couple years ago. Shaped like giant Wok's, 30 inches deep and about 5 foot across. He was going to mount them on Limestone Pillars at the end of his Driveway.

I made the burners out of 3/4" Black water pipe, rolled into rings. I used a #30 bit to drill the burner holes about every inch or so. He wanted the fire Orange and Smoky, like real torches, so I had to do quite a bit of experimenting with the orifice to get it right.

When I finally got everything right, they produced flames pretty much like the big Torch at the Olympic games. Unfortunately, right after the guy took delivery of them, he died of a massive Stroke. I don't know if they were ever even used....  :(

jeeezzzz, how much WAS the bill?!?!?!?!
The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it\'s still on my list

river1

Quote from: "Sean"I had to do quite a bit of experimenting with the orifice

:shock:  :shock:  :shock:  :shock:
:lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

later jim
Most people have a higher than average number of legs.

Sean

Quote from: "tomslik"
jeeezzzz, how much WAS the bill?!?!?!?!

About $3800 for my part of it. He had two pillars already in place at the end of his drive, and they were going to be wired so that all he had to do was flip a switch on the wall to turn the gas on and fire them....

The guy owned four of the local Burger Franchises, and two "Chicken" franchises... he wasn't lacking for money.