How's your gas?

Started by phat46, October 13, 2008, 07:17:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

38HAULR

Quote from: "UGLY OLDS"[
Quotequote="38HAULR"]A "nappie" is what you would call a 'diaper" [hope the spelling is right]

"Shopper docket"  is the cash register  tape receipt ,that has some added crap entitling you on presentation at a fuel outlet for a 4cents per litre discount for spending a certain amount of money in the supermarket.

'Servo"  is an Aussie word for a petrol station [gas station].
This would have been derived from the old term "service station".
We have a lingo that gives abbreviation to common names or terminology.
Referring to "Salvos for example is the generic term for the Salvation Army.
With names , Dave can be "Davo".This type of abbreviation or slang is generally used by friends and family.
I have a grandson named Damien.   We call him "Damo".
Other terminology  .Waterside or dock workers being "wharfies"
Truck drivers "truckies"  .
Speaking of unusual.
I work for a US multinational.  And crack up everytime I see an item called a "* pack".
The term "*" here is a slang word for a part of the female anatomy
Frank.

WOW .....Thanks Frank ...  :!:    That is really different ....It's neat to be able to ask questions from the other side of the world & learn new things ... :D
 We too, use the term "*" as a slang word for the female "posterior"... :idea:      Hey  :!:  :!:
That must mean we're almost brothers   :!:  :shock:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

Thanks again ... 8)

Bob............ :wink:[/quote]
Thats ok Bob.
Most here would be familiar with American terminology from the amount of TV shows we have from the US.
A lot of ours would be largely unknown, including terminology that can be meant as endearment  ,like calling a mate a "silly bastard".
To a non Aussie this would be insulting.
Difference ,defining our "ill disciplined"  relaxed character must be a hangover from the old colonial days.
It was around the 1840,s when Britain ceased shipments of convicts here. :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  
The country was foundered as a penal colony.
Frank.

rog

Quote from: "Carnut"I don't think the Aussy '*' is quite the same body area as the Yanks '*'.

it is.. just at the front, not the rear  :wink:

sorry for the non reply UGLY OLDS, have been packing & preparing to move, which is tomorrow! 150k's ( 90 ish miles ) .. trying to be settled by christmas, so i can start my 52 dodge project in the new year.

bucketmouth

1.27/ litre today that equates to 5.28 a gallon.
While on the subject of slang back in '08 when I was in the U.S. we went into a restaurant  on the west coast for a steak, little did we know it was an aussie themed place. Apparently there's a chain of these places called the Outback.
During the night my buddy Rob asked a very confused waiter where the dunnies were. The guy had no idea so I said the restroom and he pointed to them.
Rob said back in Oz we call the ladies Sheilas and the men the Blokes.
He thought that was amusing and said he would pass it onto management.
Last year we're sitting in an Outback restaurant in Louisville when my buddy Nev come back from the loo and said you should see all them people not knowing which restroom to go in.
I said why what's the problem and he replied they're called the Sheilas and Blokes.
I just about fell of my chair in surprise and told my friends about the year before. :lol:

Just re reading that the dunny and loo are also slang for restroom.
I maybe from down under but I know which way is up.
Oh hell there goes another head rush.

rooster

St. Louis

2.52 a gal yesterday
2.79 a gal today

Assume the position!

Charlie Chops 1940

Muskegon: $2.72 yesterday
                $2.95 today
A good friend will come and bail you out of jail...but, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying. "Wow...that was fun!"

Poster geezer for retirement....

A Hooligan!

phat46

We dropped to $2.64 several days ago. That's really unusual for us, as the prices here are usually higher than the surrounding areas due to Canadians coming over to buy or reletively cheap gas. Last i heard it was about $1.05 per litre across the river, now that the Canadian dollar is at par it's a real bargain here!!!

Carnut

Been at $2.63 for regular here for a week or so.

Just went out today and filled up my Chrysler with 91 octane at $2.83 for a total of $42 and change.

phat46

Just went, overnight, from $2.64 to $2.95.....

Crosley.In.AZ

paid 3.00 for  diesel  via a discount with local Frys food store.  10 cents discount from 3.10  a gallon

May be a similar thing like Gypster mentioned week  or 2 ago.  Spend over set dollar amount and receive discount at store pumps
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

Crosley.In.AZ

paid 3.30 a gallon for diesel tonight...  that is 20 cents increase  in 1 week
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

Rrumbler

$2.999 today in northwest Las Vegas, 87 octane.  Someone said it will be four bucks by Christmas; I sure hope not, it cost me $67 to fill up my truck today.
Rrumbler - Older, grouchier, broken; but not completely dead, yet.

Charlie Chops 1940

$3.05-9/10ths today for regular. Since it's happening on a Sunday I would call this a "because they can" increase as opposed to some emir or other potentate with a serious airplane or yacht payment due today.

Charlie
A good friend will come and bail you out of jail...but, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying. "Wow...that was fun!"

Poster geezer for retirement....

A Hooligan!

phat46

Quote from: "Charlie Chops 1940"$3.05-9/10ths today for regular. Since it's happening on a Sunday I would call this a "because they can" increase as opposed to some emir or other potentate with a serious airplane or yacht payment due today.

Charlie
Samr thing on this side of the state Charlie.  I found a station that was "only" $3.03 and stuck my card in the machime, the price then jumps to $3.11....pumped a gallon so I could make it to a station that doesn't screw you for using a card....  :x

phat46

Quote from: "Charlie Chops 1940"$3.05-9/10ths today for regular. Since it's happening on a Sunday I would call this a "because they can" increase as opposed to some emir or other potentate with a serious airplane or yacht payment due today.

Charlie
Same thing on this side of the state Charlie.  I found a station that was "only" $3.03 and stuck my card in the machine, the price then jumps to $3.11....pumped a gallon so I could make it to a station that doesn't screw you for using a card....  :x

Rrumbler

The station I use most of the time, if I can, gives a nickle break on "their brand" card purchases and cash; debits and other credit cards pay higher.  I wonder how much longer that's going to last.
Rrumbler - Older, grouchier, broken; but not completely dead, yet.