How's your gas?

Started by phat46, October 13, 2008, 07:17:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

chimp koose

$1 / litre ....4.54 litres /imperial gallon

rog

paying about $1.15 to a $1.30 a litre here (roughly $5.20 a gallon) propane (lpg here) around 60c a litre ($2.50 ish per Gallon)

38HAULR

LPG is 54.9 cpl  near me Rog.
The petrol price I do not get.
A barrel of oil is around $82.     Our dollar is worth  around 98c US.
Yet the pEtrol prices are not far away from what they were in 07 when a barrel of oil was around the $140 mark and our dollar 84/85c US.

Someone is creaming somewhere.
The outlets are now being gobbled by two  supermarket chains who offer fuel discounts of 4c  per litre on presentation of shopper dockets from their supermarkets.
I smile when I watch the gullible fumbling  for their dockets for this.
First up they inflate the fuel price from what it should be.
Then give the impression that they are helping you "save" by shopping in their food markets.
So a 60 litre fill gives a "discount " of  $2.80 Wow,.
The joke is that by just shopping in their supermarket, you paid a lot more for the goods than if you purchased wisely elsewhere.
And this could be $30 on a trolley load.
My wife and I shop between two different supermarkets [IGA and ALDI] and local small business greengrocers for fruit and Veges and these are within a 3km radius of home.
Only time I grab something from the big chains is for an attractive special. And I mean a better price than I would normally get.
One of the big chains had Rump Steak at $11 per kilo advertised in catalogue giving a "saving of $12 over regular price". As Gomer Pyle would say "Gollee".
I go to a market once a month and buy meat for a month. I can tell you that Rump goes for $18 for two kilos.
We are being fleeced no end.
Frank.

rog

yep, we are.. should come over near you to fill up Frank,    :roll: :lol:  :lol: .. we're heading to ballarat next month.. we do aldi for nappies, but usually shop coles or safeway anyway, difficult to travel around with the three kids in tow.. so use the shopper dockets as the servo's around here are all with one or the other anyway, so the prices are all carried the same.  :roll:  :evil:

Gilles

Last saturday in Toulouse, south west of France.

Unleaded 1.37€ per liter =  1.88 US$ per liter =

7.23$ / USgallon!!! :cry:

Gilles

UGLY OLDS

Quote from: "rog"yep, we are.. should come over near you to fill up Frank,    :roll: :lol:  :lol: .. we're heading to ballarat next month.. we do aldi for nappies, but usually shop coles or safeway anyway, difficult to travel around with the three kids in tow.. so use the shopper dockets as the servo's around here are all with one or the other anyway, so the prices are all carried the same.  :roll:  :evil:

Rog .....I need some schoolin'..... :?
 What is a "nappie"??
  What is a " shopper docket"??
   What is a "servo" ???

You folks do have a very colorful language ..... :D
    Thanks.... 8)

Bob...................... :wink:
1940 Oldsmobile- The "Ugly Olds"
1931 Ford sedan- Retirement project

***** First Member of Team Smart*****

38HAULR

A "nappie" is what you would call a 'diaper" [hope the spelling is right]

"Shopper docket"  is the cash register  tape receipt ,that has some added crap entitling you on presentation at a fuel outlet for a 4cents per litre discount for spending a certain amount of money in the supermarket.

'Servo"  is an Aussie word for a petrol station [gas station].
This would have been derived from the old term "service station".
We have a lingo that gives abbreviation to common names or terminology.
Referring to "Salvos for example is the generic term for the Salvation Army.
With names , Dave can be "Davo".This type of abbreviation or slang is generally used by friends and family.
I have a grandson named Damien.   We call him "Damo".
Other terminology  .Waterside or dock workers being "wharfies"
Truck drivers "truckies"  .
Speaking of unusual.
I work for a US multinational.  And crack up everytime I see an item called a "* pack".
The term "*" here is a slang word for a part of the female anatomy
Frank.

Bruce Dorsi

Quote from: "38HAULR"A "nappie" is what you would call a 'diaper" [hope the spelling is right]

With names , Dave can be "Davo".This type of abbreviation or slang is generally used by friends and family.

Speaking of unusual.
I work for a US multinational.  And crack up everytime I see an item called a "* pack".
Frank.

So, a sano-nappie refers to a man-hole cover ????
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

If being smart means knowing what I am dumb at,  I must be a genius!

38HAULR

In some parts of Australia. A "sano nappie"  It would be what others would refer to as a "sanitary napkin" :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:
Frank.

UGLY OLDS

[
Quotequote="38HAULR"]A "nappie" is what you would call a 'diaper" [hope the spelling is right]

"Shopper docket"  is the cash register  tape receipt ,that has some added crap entitling you on presentation at a fuel outlet for a 4cents per litre discount for spending a certain amount of money in the supermarket.

Other terminology  .Waterside or dock workers being "wharfies"
Truck drivers "truckies"  .
Speaking of unusual.
Frank.
[/quote]

WOW .....Thanks Frank ...  :!:    That is really different ....It's neat to be able to ask questions from the other side of the world & learn new things ... :D
 We too, use the term "*" as a slang word for the female "posterior"... :idea:      Hey  :!:  :!:
That must mean we're almost brothers   :!:  :shock:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

Thanks again ... 8)

Bob............ :wink:

Carnut

I don't think the Aussy '*' is quite the same body area as the Yanks '*'.

UGLY OLDS

Quote from: "Carnut"I don't think the Aussy '*' is quite the same body area as the Yanks '*'.

Did I "Oops"  :?:   :oops:  :oops:  :oops:  

Bob....... :wink:

Crosley.In.AZ

Paid 3.10  per gallon of diesel this evening
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

phat46

Last Sunday i drove home from the U.P. of Michigan, about 550 miles. We saw gas prices from $3.09 to $2.59. Here it came down to $2.73ish today.

38HAULR

Back on topic.
I noticed the Mustang getting low on the gauge,so just topped up for a couple of days work commuting, yesterday it was 1.38 per litre for premium.  
The pricing here goes on "discount cycles".  In a few days I should be able to grab more at the lower price.
Frank.