Deuce 5 Window Swing Out Windshield?

Started by seadog, October 12, 2008, 09:48:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

seadog

I am working on a glass Deuce and have a chopped stock style windshield frame that I was originally going to glue in but the thought occurred that this is a bad idea in the event of needing to replace the glass in case of a rock chip.  I think I want to install the frame the way Henry did it originally, so that it swings out.  Can anybody give me a source for all the parts I'll need to make this change.  I can find lots of sources for the windshield swing arms but nobody seems to carry the hinges and other small parts needed.  Also any tips on doing this will be appreciated as well...THANKS!

Charlie Chops 1940

Don't know how much of that stuff is repopped but there is a set of repop 3W w/s hinges on eBay right now. Auction # 2603 0020 3763. Since you're dealing with a non-original body maybe they would work.

Charlie
A good friend will come and bail you out of jail...but, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying. "Wow...that was fun!"

Poster geezer for retirement....

A Hooligan!

Rich Guzman

Seadog... Can you give us an Idea of whats already there? Do you have any Pics, Some of the parts are really difficult to find, some are not, I'll be glad to help you out, but I have to have a starting point. do you have the studs on the winshield side posts or the "A" pillars?, is the headder set up for hinges? and does the manufacturer of the body have anything alredy designed for thier body? (Rich Guzman fellow 5W owner)  :)
Temporarily stranded in the Panhandle

seadog

Quote from: "Rich Guzman"Seadog... Can you give us an Idea of whats already there?

Thanks for the response.  After studying the problem for a while I figured out a way to git-r-done.  Four holes strategically drilled around the perimeter of the windshield cavity, some tee-nuts welded to the rear of the windshield frame, four quarter by twenty bolts and the windshield is in.  True, it doesn't swing out, but at least I won't have to worry about leaks this way as it is solid.  Sometimes I have to sit and think a bunch before the answer comes to me...this was one of those times.

Topsterguy

I'm curious as to what make of glass body you're using. I used a New Age Motorsports 5 window body and had MAJOR grief with it over all. It was a total nightmare and cost me considerable $$$ extra for the body guy to make it right. Luckily I had a good body / paint guy and it worked out in the end, but I'd never use one of their bodies again.
"If a man is alone in the forest and speaks, and there\'s no woman around, is he still wrong?"

Topsterguy

Hey Tom!  Good to see your still at it!  I was going to recommend the swing out brass frame that NAM has cuz it was the one thing that I didn't have grief with! Overall the car worked out good tho! I think I've attached a pic! ??
"If a man is alone in the forest and speaks, and there\'s no woman around, is he still wrong?"