Electric drills

Started by enjenjo, October 09, 2008, 01:10:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wayne petty

crosley....  if you need a cheep 3/8 reversable 18 volt drill...

check out the throw away unit from autozone.. they sell for like 20 bucks...

i use them...   since i only need a few holes once in a while...  

i just cannot remember if they are variable speed...

they have the handy torque limiter for putting in fasteners also...

i even bought a spare battery... so i have more stuff to throw away...

i stopped and looked it up...

Great Neck/ 18 Volts 2 Speed Cordless Drill           
About this product:  Part Number:   80133    seems the web price is 39.99     but for the holidays they are usually sold for 20 bucks...

not a great deal at 40 bucks....at 20... yes...

oh... and if you need a really big  drill.... i have a a 220v 3/4 inch chuck drill... and i just picked up some old thing...   it has a jacob's taper socket drive ... i forget the brand.. might even be porter cable... turns really slow...

Crosley.In.AZ

wayne,

75- 100 bucks is fine with me on a drill.... not over 200 bucks.

With my usage demands the last 2 cordless drills lasted near 5 yrs each.
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

Leon

I've got several of the Sears 19.2v units and like them.  They do have a Lithium battery for their stuff now so I may upgrade with that.  I also have the trim saw, demolition saw, saber saw, etc.  I've gotten several pieces cheap off ebay.

purplepickup

I've got a lot of 19.2V Sears stuff too....circular saw, two 3/8 drills, a 1/2" drill, sabre saw, fluorescent work light, sawzall and I've done a heck of a lot of construction projects with them.  Everything I build nowadays gets screwed together instead of nailed.  I've had them for over 2 years and haven't had a battery go bad yet.  They have two types of batteries and these are EX batteries, whatever that is.  I'm sure there is much better cordless tools but these have served me well.

The current Consumers Report magazine has reviews of cordless tools.  I can't remember the results.  I left it at the cabin last weekend.
George

Crosley.In.AZ

I've been checking the Sears cordless drill motors....  I really do not want to buy a 4 - 12 piece drill , light, disco ball, laser sword kit...   it looks like that may be an option though.
Tony

wayne petty

enjenjo

Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

Crosley.In.AZ

Quote from: "enjenjo"http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_00911588000P?vName=Tools&cName=Portable+Power+Tools&sName=Drills

that one lists speeds as "2" .. not variable

:?

I looked around the web site of Sears again.

8)
Tony

enjenjo

Quote from: "Crosley"
Quote from: "enjenjo"http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_00911588000P?vName=Tools&cName=Portable+Power+Tools&sName=Drills

8)

a 2-speed gearbox (0-400 / 0-1,400 rpm),
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

purplepickup

I got one of those and use it for heavy stuff but the 3/8" is my favorite for all around use...it's lighter to hold.  That's a pretty good price.  The 3/8" gets as cheap as $39 on black friday and around Christmas.
George

Crosley.In.AZ

Quote from: "enjenjo"

8)

a 2-speed gearbox (0-400 / 0-1,400 rpm),

what is confusing ,  some of the specs for drills list variable speed with the 0-400 / 0-1,400 RPM   and other specs only list 2 speed ... the word variable is not there.

Details , details..

8)
Tony

purplepickup

what is confusing ,  some of the specs for drills list variable speed with the 0-400 / 0-1,400 RPM   and other specs only list 2 speed ... the word variable is not there.

Details , details..

8)
That one's variable.  It just has two rpm ranges....low/high torque and high speed.  If you overwork the high speed setting it will drain the battery fairly quick and probably hurt the motor.

Just to add confusion to the lower end offerings, I also bought a Firestorm kit at Lowes that was a father's day special.  A 1/2" drill/driver and 6.5" circular saw with a charger and 2 batteries for only $49, but now the drill is double that by itself http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=productDetail&productId=23106-79992-FS1800D&lpage=none  I didn't expect much from Black & Decker but I've been very impressed with both the saw and the drill.  Both the tools and batteries have held up well.  A cool feature with the drill is that the chuck is easily removed leaving a hex drive so you can drill a hole then pop the chuck off and use a driver without a lot of hassle.  I still grab the smaller craftsman first tho.
George

Carnut

You all are trying real hard to get me to get a cordless drill ain't ya?

Crosley.In.AZ

Quote from: "Carnut"You all are trying real hard to get me to get a cordless drill ain't ya?

yes, it is time for you to step into the 1990's.

:lol:
Tony

Crosley.In.AZ

On saturday I finally picked a drill from Sears... this morning I go to the web site shopping cart on Sears.  The drill is now 30 dollars more ,  off sale.

So I have selected another drill setup.

One item I always find interesting about Sears various descriptions listed:

"Price match policy"  -- what other company sells Craftsman tools?

"Sears exclusive" --- same question;  What other company sells Craftsman tools?

:lol:
Tony