Electric drills

Started by enjenjo, October 09, 2008, 01:10:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

enjenjo

I am going to be in the market for a new drill in the near future. The one I am using now is a Milwaukee 3/8" variable speed with a 1/2" chuck. Is there any thing better out there?

Also, any reccommendations on cordless drills? I have has Makita, Blaxk and Decker, Delta, and Clarke. All of them worked well, but they obsoleted the batteries, which make them useless after a few years,
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

Ed ke6bnl

lithium ion batteries are a big improvement, I went with Makita 18 volt but nut sure it is the best but batteries have been improved greatly.  I do like our big Milwakees at work 24 volt lithium lots of power and last a long time. Ed
1948 F3, parts
1950 F1 SteetRod,
1949 F1 V8 flathead stocker
1948 F6 V8 SBC,
1953 Chevy 3100 AD pu future project& 85 s10 longbed for chassis
1972 Chopped El Camino daily driver
1968 Mustang Coupe
1998.5 Dodge 4x4 cummins 4door, 35"bfg,

Crosley.In.AZ

I need a new cordless drill motor myself... I released the smoke from it a few weeks ago.

The cost of the lithium battery units turns me away from  them.

8)
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

phat46

I have a Dewalt 18 volt cordless, expensive but worth it. The only thing I don't like about it is that it is very powerful, more than my corded drill. If it grabs it WILL twist your arm around!!  As far as the corded drills go I just bought a Dewalt keyless chuck drill, to replace my '70's B & D.  When i was working at the die shop we used Milwaulkee corded drills in the machine shop/tool making areas. those things took a LOT of abuse and came back fo more. If we did manage to hurt one we could get it fixed instead of getting it replaced.

sirstude

I have several different kinds.  I have the Sears 19.2v 1/2 drill an 3/8 angle drill combo.  Not too impressed with them, angle is almost impossible to tighten the chuck.  I have a Riged 18v combo set and I do like that drill and the rest of the stuff, but the drill I use the most is my old 12v 3/8 DeWalt.  Small enough to get in an still has good power.  I really only pull out the Rigid when I need the 1/2 inch chuck.

Doug
1965 Impala SS  502
1941 Olds

Watcher of #974 1953 Studebaker Bonneville pas record holder B/BGCC 249.945 MPH.  He sure is FAST

www.theicebreaker.us

C9

If you disassemble the batteries in most of the 'special' battery devices - drills etc. - you'll find a stack of ni-cad Double A's most times.

Radio shack has Double A replacements along with a little kit of solder links.
C9

Sailing the turquoise canyons of the Arizona desert.

UGLY OLDS

I have used these for years...IMPOSSIBLE to break..( Unless you drop it .. :oops: )
The only problem with them is ......If the bit grabs..Hanging on with all 4 hands ain't gonna help.... :shock:  :shock:  You ARE goin for a ride..... :-}
Other model # --( Older)  is 0234-1...No other changes...
Oh..A 25' plug in cord is also available...( Bye-Bye extention cords... :D )

http://www.bestmaterials.com/detail.aspx?ID=16065

I also found a review..... 8)

http://zo-d.com/stuff/tool-reviews/milwaukee-magnum-12-drill-model-02346-review.html

Bob................. :wink:
1940 Oldsmobile- The "Ugly Olds"
1931 Ford sedan- Retirement project

***** First Member of Team Smart*****

Rayvyn

We use strictly Dewalt and Metabo drills and grinders at work. I'd rate Metabo a little higher.
Their electric drills and grinders have clutch mechanisms in them.
I have a Metabo 18V cordless 1/2" drill and it works awesome; lots of torque and long usage.
I also have a Black and decker 18V 1/2" and a Harbor Freight 18V 3/8ths. Surprisingly, the HF batteries last longer than the B+D.
***SFC-Team Smart***

What can a bird do that a man can\'t?

Whistle through his pecker...

34ford

Don't know about them but I saw this site on craigslist the other day.

http://wcbatteryrebuilders.com/

OldSub

Quote from: "C9"you'll find a stack of ni-cad Double A's most times
After reading that I opened up one of my bad ones and found 15 nicad D cells.  Soon I'll check the cost of buying replacements.  Thanks for that idea!

Steve@OldSub.com
www.OldSub.com . www.MaxwellGarage.com . www.OldGasTowRigs.com

IC2

As far as a corded drill, I rate my Bosch at or near the top.

Cordless, my Porter Cable ia a 14.4V and I can assure you that it has more 'balls' then the now Chinese made 18V B&D/DeWalts that others own and I have been using on some special projects where tools are supplied. I would spring for the 18V version if buying a new one though.

Batteries - a sore point for most of these tools. Many of these battery operated cordless tools use what are known as 'sub-c' batteries. You can buy NiCd's for as low as $1.50/each I'm rebuilding mine with solder tabs already installed for about $25 for a set of 12 (including shipping) on EvilBay. One pack is done and one to go. So far the power is about the same, but not sure yet if they retain their life or charge quite as well. You do have to use about the same mAh cells or risk killing your charger though. A premium Sanyo battery is a fair amount more and the savings obviously not so good.

tomslik

Quote from: "Crosley"I need a new cordless drill motor myself... I released the smoke from it a few weeks ago.

The cost of the lithium battery units turns me away from  them.

8)
money well spent, though.
i 've got a snapon screw gun that's a rechargable and a bosch that's a lithiun-ion.
i change batteries out about 1 once a day with the snappy and once a week with the bosch.
and i use the bosch more...

btw,i've got a b&d firestorm hammer drill, not a bad drill but the keyless chuck sucks
The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it\'s still on my list

enjenjo

Quotebtw,i've got a b&d firestorm hammer drill, not a bad drill but the keyless chuck sucks

Most of them do. You can buy good chucks, but they are nearly as expensive as the drill. but they are worth it.

enjenjo

After this post, I got out a couple batteries I had for my drill that weren't working. I charged them up, checked the cells, marked the bad ones, and switched in good ones from the other battery. So now one of them works again. Now if I get some more cells, I can fix the other one.

Crosley.In.AZ

I still need a cordless drill...  3/8 inch , variable speed.

I do not use this tool regularly / daily , so I do not need a  $ 200.00+  drill.

8)
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)