GM power steering pumps

Started by GPster, October 05, 2008, 09:54:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GPster

Not long ago someone was working on fitting a power steering pump on the front of an engine. Someone, probably Wayne, produced some pictures of the new style GM pumps and I think mentioned that there were only two. My '87 S15 GMC 2.5L four has one with a remote reseroir and I'd like a hint of what hood to lift in the junkyard to maybe see if I could find a pump with a reservoir on it that I might use as a replacement. It would need to be a serpentine belt. The bracket that the current pump is on looks like it might have been made to bolt an air conditioning compressor on so I think it would be strong enough to allow some clearencing for the fluid fill neck. The jeepster has no inner fender panels to mount a remote resevoir on and the stock hoses won't reach to the radiator mount. If I'm going to have to buy new hoses I'd rather it be  for a less complicated set-up. GPster

GPster

Out of 61 views, no body has any ideas? I've checked at the AC Delco site that Wayne gave me and I can't even find power steering pumps. I checked Google yesterday and it looks like that four cylinder's power steering pump is a lone item but I didn't find a good picture of it and I didn't find any way to cross-reference it. Any hints? GPster

wayne petty

i was offline working yesterday...   up at the dirty house...

i kinda understand what you are looking for...

something like this...

http://www.breezeautomotive.com/details.php?cat_id=8&prod_id=677

i found that on a search here....
http://www.thefind.com/query.php?query=power+steering+pumps

buy they also sell just the bracket... so you can mount a gm pump out of the  yard on your motor...

http://proraceparts.com/product_info.php?products_id=1566

wayne petty

i just found the stant/edelman power steering catalog...  but it is 1996...
they do have a catalog that you can download... online.. but you have to enter info to access it..  not hard...

they do have a picture section... but there are hundreds...

i would imagine as many power steering hoses and pumps that get sold...  that every parts store and autozone will have a printed catalog in the back somewhere..    maybe at the store that does commercial...

do you want.. left hand pressure.. right hand pressure... left return, right return, top return...  

so many.... it just might be what you can find... and what you can adapt...

with one of the many shapes of plates above.. or one gotten with the pump off a 4.3 V6, 5.0V8 5.7V8    out of many cars and trucks...

i did see an drive align laser from gates rubber... to help align the pulleys..

there is also napaonline.com.....    they have a parts pro look up page that i did not get far into...  

just please don't do like the guy across the street... and go for an electric smog pump to rig up a vacuum sump kit on his honda that sounds like a rat motor...   and came back with a mercedes benz heater core circulating booster pump for 20 bucks..    he was truly disappointed ... and he works on cars for a living...

wayne petty

i an still messing around with this...

check this image...

http://econtent.autozone.com:24991/znetrgs/repair_guide_content/en_us/images//0900c152/80/09/6a/29//medium/0900c15280096a29.gif

it is for a 2000 to 2004 s10 pickup with a 4.3... it has the large older pump on a bracket.. with the a/c compressor up top...

if you got all the pulleys with it...  and the possibly reverse waterpump...  it should bolt on to the front of any small block chevy... ... i would imagine that some of the fasteners into the block may be 10mm X1.5  instead of 3/8-16..

just a thought.... and reverse flow water pumps do work well... just as good as a regular flow water pumps...  as long as you turn them the right way...  along with having the correct rotation fan on the front...

one thing... on this factory set up.. the belt tension is controlled by the tensioner on the passenger side...  there is no adjustment for the pump or compressor...  it is bolted on tight.      i hope...

wayne

GPster

I'm working on it but I'm not as fast as a professional. The first site you gave me looks nice but I wondered about the low volumn /pressure pump for rack/pinion because I'm using to a gearbox. The pumps look the same an the difference might be in the add-on fitting I see at the pump's outlet, I inquired to them about the availability of the reservoir separately. I looked at the 50 pages of the next site you gave me and that pump seems to be available from a lot of sites and some say nothing about volumn/pressure so I thought this thing might not be that rare. Looking through the pages I saw similar set-ups for Jeeps (using Mopar pumps) and found some replacement reservoirs listed for Dodge Neons. The pumps look like the GM pumps ( I wonder?). Found a place that bragged aboutmaking replacement reservoirs for Dodges and other so I sent them an inquiry. Unisteer also had some possibilities, so I asked them. Further into those pages I found a rebuilder that showed a picture just like all the rest. That site said it was for an '94 - '95 Saturn., junkyard shopping? As far as after-market mounts for an early style pump there doesn't seem much for a 2.5L Iron Duke four. Maybe there are some applications for the early pumps in the earlier engine's application but then I wondered about the serpentine belt. Your last hint showed me that there are applications for the old style pumps with the new belt. I never imagine that my question (that I thought was simple) could turn out so complicated. Thank you for the directions, GPster

GPster

This is what I've found. It's not the only thing but it looks like the one that everybody's using in there one off products. Unisteer ( a Maval company) part # 8021540 clip on reservoir. I tried to call them but received a 3 minute recording that let me know if you don't know somebody there you don't stand a chance talking to a person. Summit has them in their catalog but the 800 number is to tell you if you have a question pay for a toll call. I did but they had to call Unisteer to get the answer. Waiting for an answer ran the battery dead on my cell phone so I still didn't help. The catalogs describe it as fitting a                           GM type II TC power steering pump. MY pump was never discribed as TC so I was trying to find out what the difference was. Depending on who's trying to confuse you I've seen the same pumps descibed as               GM type II TC , GM generation II TC  and Saginaw type II TC . Somewhere along the line someone let the cat-out-of-the-bag TC stands for Transverse bearing Compact  and it describes the whole style of pump. A Hot Rod site was bragging on Alan Grove Compenents that suggested they could use a pump off an '85 or '86 Chevrolet Cavalier with a "clip on reservoir" but didn't say wheither .the reservoir was stock or after-market. This might be a junkyard trip because I still haven't found power steering pumps on the AC Delco site. Might look at Jeeps and Dodge Neons too. Maybe all this exercise I'm getting moving this "mouse" around I'l get strong and not need power steering. GPster

GPster

Well today I spent money. I'm going tp use the power steering pump out of an '87 Jeep Cherokee Pioneer 4,0L six (something about like brand?). It mounts straight up so that the reservoir's fill neck is level. The newer ones have the pump cocked a little so their fill neck is on a slant. The pump's pulley is the same diameter so it will stay if I can mount it. The Jeep pulley does not have/need the holes in the pulley for mounting bolt access because the pulley end mount is steel and it's thin enough to tighten  the bolts between the pulley and the pump body with an open end wrench. The cast mount of the S10 pulley is thicker and I don't think that wrench trick will work. The pulleys could be changed but I don't know if I want to dismember a working pump. I got the hoses with the purchase so maybe I'll have enough to clean up the installation like I'd hoped for. On the way out of the yard I looked under the hood of an '99 S10. The engine had been removed but the power steering pump was still there. The truck had been powered by a 2.2L four and the pump was what I had hoped for in the begining. Because it was newer and a more popular vehicle he wanted $15.00 more for it. Because the Jeep one was now off I saved the $15.00 and I'll use what I got. GPster

GPster

The never ending story of me trying to fix something that wasn't broken. The Jeep pump fit just fine BUT the return to the reservoir was just rubbing my steer shaft. I thought about changing the fitting to a brass one screwing into the plastic reservoir but there hadn't been any good suggesting on repairing that hole drilled into the plastic gas tank so I talked the guy into giving me credit for it's return against the '99 S10 pump. Of course I had worked about an hour bolting the Jeep pump to my bracket because it's pulley didn't have access holes and I had almost gone to drilling access holes in the Jeep pump. That no doubt would have ruined it for return. This yard has minimal coordination so I had to put that pump back on the Jeep it came off of so they could find it. The S10 pump with the bolt access pulley fit fine BUT there was only 1/16" clearance between the reservoir and that steering shaft. I made an adapter out of 1/2" x 2" strap that raises the pump up 1" and out 1/2" and that moving still lets the belt run/adjust in it's normal parameters. Now when my sight come back to par I'll go out and find the two bolts that I dropped in the pile of floor-dry  under the engine

enjenjo

Well, find what wom't work is progress too. Is there any way you could have used a heat gun to dimple the reservoir where the shaft is? The small loss in volume should not be a problem.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

GPster

Quote from: "enjenjo"Well, find what wom't work is progress too. Is there any way you could have used a heat gun to dimple the reservoir where the shaft is? The small loss in volume should not be a problem.
The reservoir is like Tupperware on it's side. The seam is where it was close. The steering arm where it hits is actually where the tube is flattened over the Double D shaft and it's right next to the universal joint so the Double D could actually be bare out of the universal. The steering column is not up against the bottom of the dash yet so that column angle increase would help a little too. It's not so bad that either cure would be satisfactory so  I can at least imagine a new problem now, GPster