Young rodder and the LA Roadster show

Started by zzebby, June 14, 2004, 03:12:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

zzebby

Have a 15 year old cousin who wants a hod rod project,  not a rice rocket like his older brother.  The kid is kinda quiet and shy, but saves every nickel he makes, is a bus boy at a restaurant and mows lawns.  He  is also  into dirt bikes,  buys junkers and fixes em up and trades up.  Now has a 4 or 500 cc single cylinder Honda I think.
He'd like an old pickup,  but figures that there's no way he can keep gas in a V8.   So he's asking if a hot rod can have a 4 banger.   He lives in southern Ontario (Canuk)  so I though the LA roadster show would knock his socks off plus he could check out the 4 banger rods there and get some ideas.  I've arranged a ride in a silver bird into Phoenix  and then I'll drive him to Pomona sat morn, (non hot rod ride)  but if any of the RRT'ers here are driving about the same time,  it would be waaaay cool to give him a ride part way????????????  Kinda pass on to another generation.  Or even a ride around the Fairplex????   I can just see him showing the pics to his friends back home. My hot rod is still pieces around the garage.
Any offers or suggestions ?

1FATGMC

Quote from: "zzebby"but figures that there's no way he can keep gas in a V8.   So he's asking if a hot rod can have a 4 banger.  

Well that is neat you are taking him and I'm sure you will find someone that will give him a ride in their rod.

Nothing wrong with a 4 banger, but I think there would be no problem getting good gas mileage with an 8.  If I can get 20 mpg at 75 with a 4100 lb. truck 24-25 should be no problem with an 8 in a lighter rod.

3.20 to 3.50 gears, 28 inch tires and a 700R4 with a q-jet would get you there.  Throw in a 305 (or 283) vs. a 350 and use fuel injection (TBI or TPI) and I'll bet you could get 26- 28 mpg.  Look what the new vettes get.

Have fun at the show,

Sum

DRD57

I'm no help in getting him from Phx to SoCal but I can give him a ride once he's here. However, after riding in my car he may give up on the 4 banger idea.  :lol:

Maybe Sunday afternoon we can take the short trip form the Fairplex to my shop (10 miles) and I can give you both the nickel tour.

Bib_Overalls

BobW, who posts here from time to time, has a 27T roadster with a quad 4.  Runs like stink.  I know.  He gave me a ride up to Big Bear and back last year.  I'll bet he makes the LA Roadster show this year.  See if you can hook up with him.  Steve
An Old California Rodder
Hiding Out In The Ozarks

Bib_Overalls

An Old California Rodder
Hiding Out In The Ozarks

zzebby

Sum
Yea I understand what you're saying,  but gas in Canada is about $3.50 per gallon and when you're saving nickels for either parts or gas or to keep it in shape .......... plus I remember how I was with my first V8.  
Don
It's it date,  I'll try not to drool too much.  I'll have a cell phone 480-225-4991  so we can meet up at the show.
Bib
Yes I hope to see that  track roadster.  The quad 4  is arguably the best domestic 4 banger for this.  He is influenced by the Honda and Toyota motors that his friends and brother screams on.  Maybe a "young guns" rivalry???   Is the quad 4 cheap  in the junkyards yet ?  Hope your friend posts here.
thanks

Gilles

My first street-rod (35 renault) was powered by a 2 liters Opel 4 cylinders and a manual 4 gearbox.

My actual 32 roadster is powered by an almost stock 350 chevy and a TH700R4.

As the gas price in France is  1.10 €uro a liter (or 5  US $ a gallon) the gas mileage is a thing to keep in mind.

With the renault the gas consumption was 10 liters/100km ( 23.5 mpg) at 90 km/h (56 mph)  and 19.5 mpg at 130 km/h ( 80mph)

With the 32 roadster the gas mileage is between 19.5 and 20 mpg, even on motorway at 80 mph.

Sure I could save some gas on the renault adding a  5 speed box.

On the 32 replacing the TH350 by the TH700R4  improved the mileage at 80 mph from 15 to 19.5 mpg.

But my conclusion is the little difference in gas cost  between 4 cylinder and V8 is a cheap price to pay to have the big smile on my face every time I drive this car.

Plus the SBC parts are the less expensive availlable, even with the shipping cost from the states and the import tax.
Yes it's incredible but it's less expensive for me to rebuild a 350 chevy than an Europeen 4 cylinder, except mabe a flat4 VW.

:lol: Gilles :lol:

flt-blk

I am looking at a Quad4 for a project down the road, pull the cam cover
off and you can make it look kind of like an Offy head.

Look for an 89-early94 motor

Dig into your stack of Street Rodders and pull out May and June 2002, there is a good article on the Quad4 setup.

Have fun at the roadster show.

TZ
Philosophy of hot rods
The welder is the Yin and the Grinder is the Yang

Roadstar