Holly Question

Started by phat46, September 17, 2008, 11:22:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

phat46

On a Holly, a 600, what seals the vent tube between the float bowls? I started my '46 Chevy today for the first time in a couple months and luckily I had the air filter off to put some gas down the vent tube to fill the bowl. after it started I was checking things over and there was a steady drip at the rear bowl where the tube enters. Never had this before; maybe from sitting? I haven't had enough Hollys apart to remember what type of seal is there. Of course I'm hoping it will seal itself... :roll:

348tripower

O ring. But they have a new type of seal to replace the o ring.
Don Colliau

EMSjunkie

Those little O-rings can be troublesome.

I use a dab of assembly lube or Vaseline to lubricate them when I put them together. I have found it easiest to put the O-ring on the transfer tube, apply the lubricant of your choice, then GENTLY slide it into place.

but sometimes that doesn't work the 1st time :x

Vance
"I don\'t know what your problem is, but I bet its hard to pronounce"

1934 Ford 3 Window
Member, Rural Rodders
Member, National Sarcasm Society  "Like we need your support"
*****Co-Founder  Team Smart*****

phat46

Thanks, I assume this O ring can be purchased seperately?

EMSjunkie

Quote from: "phat46"Thanks, I assume this O ring can be purchased seperately?

They are availabe seperately down here, but I buy mine at the local nut, and bolt place, they are cheaper, and seem to be more durable than the Holley brand you buy at the auto parts store. when I had the sprinter, we used to change jets all the time, sometimes 4-5 times a night, and durability was a plus.

you might even find them at a hydraulic hose supply store
sorry.....it was an afterthought :oops:  :roll:
my mind works like that sometimes.........sometimes it don't work at all :lol:

Vance
"I don\'t know what your problem is, but I bet its hard to pronounce"

1934 Ford 3 Window
Member, Rural Rodders
Member, National Sarcasm Society  "Like we need your support"
*****Co-Founder  Team Smart*****

Pep

Not quite sure we are talking about the same thing. The vent tube comes up into the air horn. The tube the rest seem to be talking about is the fuel tube that goes between the two float chambers. There is an "O" ring at both ends...is that where it is leaking? Might just need the float bowl screws to be tightened a bit. If it has been sitting around a while, a kit might be a better option. That way you get it all. Just make sure the power valve is the same as you already have. If not, leave the old one in if the diaphram is OK.
See Ya
Pep

enjenjo

I used to carry a spare Oring in my wallet when I ran Holley carbs. I use EFI Orings, they hold up very well.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

phat46

Quote from: "enjenjo"I used to carry a spare Oring in my wallet when I ran Holley carbs. I use EFI Orings, they hold up very well.

Did you tell people that was what made the circle mark in your wallet???  :lol:  :lol:  
Thanks Frank, I try to find an EFI one.

tomslik

Quote from: "phat46"
Quote from: "enjenjo"I used to carry a spare Oring in my wallet when I ran Holley carbs. I use EFI Orings, they hold up very well.

Did you tell people that was what made the circle mark in your wallet???  :lol:  :lol:  
Thanks Frank, I try to find an EFI one.

if THAT'S all the bigger it is..... :shock:  :P  :P  :P
The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it\'s still on my list