Chevy Fuel Pump Outlet

Started by Bib_Overalls, June 13, 2004, 07:59:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bib_Overalls

I have a stock type fuel pump on the Chevy 350 in my roadster.  I would like to run one of those nice chromed Edelbrock lines.  But they require a fuel pump with a 3/8 NPT outlet.  The one in mine is a pressed in tube.  Anybody ever pop the tube out and run in a 3/8 tap.  Looks doable.  Just woundered if anyone here has ever done it or knows of it being done.

Incidentally, when I bought the core engine the fuel pump looked brand new.  I understand the truch had been sitting for several years so I suspect they had to put a new pump on it to drive it to the salvage yard.  All I used was the block, the rods, and the fuel pump.

For sentamental sake I would like to keep it if I can.  It is also painted to match the block and I like that too.
An Old California Rodder
Hiding Out In The Ozarks

Bruce Dorsi

Quote from: "Bib_Overalls"I have a stock type fuel pump on the Chevy 350 in my roadster.  I would like to run one of those nice chromed Edelbrock lines.  But they require a fuel pump with a 3/8 NPT outlet.  The one in mine is a pressed in tube.  Anybody ever pop the tube out and run in a 3/8 tap.  Looks doable.

The tap drill for 3/8"-18 NPT is 37/64" = .5781"

This is quite a bit larger than the 3/8" tube size.

Is there enough material in the pump housing to accomodate this size hole?
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

If being smart means knowing what I am dumb at,  I must be a genius!

Bib_Overalls

Had not thought of that.  I'll go out and measure in the morning.  One of my mechanic friends never throws anything away.  I'll go by his shop and see if he has an old pump I can experiment with.
An Old California Rodder
Hiding Out In The Ozarks