Seat Belts?

Started by Jokester, August 24, 2008, 11:08:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jokester

Hi all,  
Many years ago I pirated some combination shoulder/lap seat belts from some kind of car I parted out.  My best recollection is 71 Lemans, but my memory isn't always 100%.  And besides mey memory isn't always 100%.  Anyway, these belts have a push button/cable assembly about 6 inches long that gets pushed in when the doors are closed.  I haven't found any decent looking way to install this thing.  My question is, can the button/cable thing be removed without hurting the function of the belts?  Can I just install them in the pushed-in position and have them still work?

Hope someone knows.

thx,

.bjb
To the world you\'re just one person; but to one person, you might be the world.

enjenjo

Sounds like an inertial lock, and if it is, it's needed to make the belt function correctly.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

Jokester

That was my assumption too.  So, can I install them with the button permanently pushed in?

.bjb
To the world you\'re just one person; but to one person, you might be the world.

enjenjo

If it locks the belt, yes, but there will be no way to adjust it without releasing the lock.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

Beck

If these belts are from a '71 anything I question their safety. They may be legal but thats it. These are 37 years old. The stitching and webbing are shot. Why do the racers have to replace thier belts every 5 years? They wear out without being stressed. Safety is #1. I vote to buy new ones.

UGLY OLDS

I agree....Even a new lap belt may be better than a '71 something if things go "wrong"..... :?
Remember....You only get to try them once..... :shock:

Bob.................... :wink:
1940 Oldsmobile- The "Ugly Olds"
1931 Ford sedan- Retirement project

***** First Member of Team Smart*****