Has anyone put 460 in a 32 ford

Started by 57fordman, August 12, 2008, 04:04:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

57fordman

Hi all,
I have wanted to use a 460 ford in a 32 (ford) for sometime now. I know that it's considered an odd piece to most builders, i like the motors and really want to do this project. I am seeking anyone who has done it or has information on how much the frame needs to be extended, as i hate to cut the firewall (for leg room reasons) and would rather extend the frame and also the crossmember if necessary. I would really appreciate any and all information anyone has on this subject. And by the way its only 90 lbs heavier than a iron SBC when using aluminum heads and intake.

thanks rich

Crafty

Dont know how much help it will be, but there is the gallery of a friends' build, 460 ford using retrotek fuel injection setup. The car is not quite finished yet but you should be able to see alot of the hardware stuff.

DRD57

I don't know how bulky a 460 Ford is but I can give you some dimensions on a 32 Ford.

With a flat firewall, you have 31 inches from there to the radiator without extending the frame or moving the crossmember forward which are both options for fitting larger engines.

The other area that can give you problems on big blocks is the width. The front of the valve covers and/or exhaust manifolds can hit the hood sides where the hood tapers toward the front. Solutions for this are clearance blisters in the hood sides or running without  hood sides. lengthening the frame doesn't really solve this problem at all.

If you're concerned about leg room, seat placement goes a long way to making these cars comfortable.

Bib_Overalls

Fred Summers big block Ford powered 32 Ford roadster.
An Old California Rodder
Hiding Out In The Ozarks