Introduction and Question

Started by 393Bird, August 11, 2008, 02:03:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

393Bird

I have been a car nut since I was 12 years old, in the out skirts of Detroit Mich. I am now 66 with a 21 year old deep inside that still thinks recliners are for when you are over 80.

I have built several car over the years, with my 1st one being a 1954 Henr J, that I bought in 1960 when I was a PFC in the Army. I bought a totaled 57 Studebaker Golden Hawk, and put the drive train into the Henry J. What fun that car was. My present car project is sort of a reverse Resto Rod, being a fairly late model 1993 Thunderbird, that I built more like a 70s Muscle Car. It is about 75% strip, and 25% cruiser.

I tried to put the web page in, but it will not allow it.

Now to my future project, and the question. While I was in the Army, I was stationed in France and Germany for a total of 6 uears. One of the cars that I have always liked, and wanted to make a Rod out of was a Citroen Traction. The GIs all called it the Gangster Wagon. The same basic car was built from 1934 to 1957. With the a 4 or 6 cyl model, and about 4 different length bodies. This is the basic Traction Avant  with the short body and shorter 4 cyl front.

error

I know most will not see its potential, till you see the only one I know of that has been done like I want to do.

Here it is.

error

I love how that car looks, and am trying to track the owner down to get a little information on it.

Since the cars were first made in 1934, they had front wheel drive, OHV, Monocoque construction, etc.

Here is how the monocoque body looks.

error

I am trying to track the owner down to see how he did his drive train to the odd front body section.  It may be easier to front half it, and go from there. His rear tag says "Rays48", which his is a 1948 model. Anyone know this guy, or have a way to track him down?

Bruce
1993 Thunderbird
393 Stroker with a Vortect YSi. 825 RWHP

http://members.tccoa.com/392bird/

enjenjo

Welcome to the RRT. There is a waiting peroid to post pictures and links to keep out spam. Click on my handle, and I can post pictures and links for you.

I have always liked the Traction Avant too, one of the few French cars I though had good styling.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

GPster

I believe your problem with posting pictures might be because you're a newcomer (regardles of your age). I can't wait until you can post pictures though. Is that French car you're talking about  like the one that James bond rolled sideways down a hill then drove it away? Someone is making a repo of them.We have one member in France maybe he can put you in touch with some parts. I think you'll enjoy it here because there are no policies on what to build and what to use to build it with. I'd like to see what a 75% T bird drag car looks like. Enjoy yourself here. GPster

393Bird

I sent enjenjo a PM, with the pics to post up. This Citroen is the one that looks like a typical american 1930s 4 door, but very low and sleek.

The Tbird is VERY Fast. Dynoed 825 HP at the rear wheels. If I was normal, I would say it is too fast for the street, but I have never been called normal. :)

Bruce
1993 Thunderbird

393Bird

OK, it let me put a link to the Tbird project in my Sig :)
1993 Thunderbird

58 Yeoman

This is a stocker ...cool car.
I survived the Hyfrecator 2000.

"Life is what happens when you're making other plans."
1967 Corvair 500 2dr Hardtop
1967 Corvair 500 4dr Hardtop
Phil

GPster

It looks like a squatty '34 Ford with a bustle. It NEEDS "Chopped". Have we got a race for you. We've got fast Henry Js and Willys but we've got a guy in Mansfield that got tired of building 40 year old blocks so he just got an aluminum block "Hemi". GPster

UGLY OLDS

Nice 'Bird....Welcome to the RRT..You will like it here..Almost everybody is 66 going on 21.. :?  Except for the Old Guy's of course.... :lol:  :lol:

Oh...By the way..Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain... :shock:

Bob................. :wink:
1940 Oldsmobile- The "Ugly Olds"
1931 Ford sedan- Retirement project

***** First Member of Team Smart*****

enjenjo

UGLY OLDS

Neat little car..Almost looks like it needs to be "un-sectioned" ..He sure solved the narrow engine bay issue though... Is that one of those "signs" in the windshield  :?:  :?:  Might save Bruce a BUNCH of time & $$$   :idea:  :idea:

Bob......... :wink:
1940 Oldsmobile- The "Ugly Olds"
1931 Ford sedan- Retirement project

***** First Member of Team Smart*****

393Bird

I think with one of the front half kits and some normal hot rod work, it would be fairly easy.
1993 Thunderbird

enjenjo

You thinking front drive ir rear drive?

393Bird

Quote from: "enjenjo"You thinking front drive ir rear drive?

Not sure. FWD may work as is, but RWD with a SBC power would be nice. Heck, if I could track this car down, and get a decent price, may just buy it :)
1993 Thunderbird

Carnut

Bout all I can say about that car is I took the pic at the Louisville NSRA back in 2001.

Looks like it came back again in 2002.

Then this one showed up in OKC NSRA in 2002

and this one showed up at Springfield NSRA 2002

Heh, heh, there may have been later appearances of these cars,
but they may not have caught the interest of my current photogs
like they did mind.

393Bird

WOW, the photographer him self. :)

Any details? Looks like a Ky club tag on the front, and could be a KY tag "Rays48" on the back?
1993 Thunderbird