Mustang rack pressure?

Started by Crafty, August 11, 2008, 11:04:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crafty

Just wondering if anyone knows the specs of a mustang rack with regards to pressure ?

For a variety of reasons I'm looking at using an electric pump rather than a belt driven one, but I just want to make sure that its going to be up to the job.

I know some people reccomend lowering the pressure when using chevy pumps, but I can't actually find any information on what sort of pressure the rack needs.

If it helps the rack I have is a ford (rather than TRW) rack - the one where the pinon housing bolts on.

Thanks!

wayne petty

there is a replacement pump output port... what ever they call it...

it has a smaller hole to reduce the flow...    

it also changes the pressure relief in the pump...  so the pump also puts out less pressure..

try this link

http://www.speedwaymotors.com/p/5852,297_Mustang-II-Power-Steering-Flow-Valves.html

clipped text...

MUSTANG II POWER STEERING FLOW VALVES
It is common to use an early GM power steering pump with a Mustang II power rack and pinion. Most who have tried it, have found that the steering was twitchy or easy to dart.

This valve reduces the fluid flow from three gallons-per-minute to two gallons-per-minute, which cures the problem. For applications using the O-ring style power steering hoses.

Installs in the back side of the pump as shown in photos at lower right.

Leon

I think I remember reading that the Mustang rack operates at about 850 pounds.

Crafty

Thanks for the answers, I'll start looking into pumps now, quite a few modern cars here have them, so I should have a few to choose from.

enjenjo

Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

Leon

I tried the valve in the pump like Wayne posted, didn't give me the feel I wanted so I tried the adjustable valve from Heidt's and now I adjust it for the feel I want.  a little more money but it drives better and I can change the feel for the type of driving I'm doing.

Crafty

Quote from: "enjenjo"Where are you located?

I'm in the UK.
Will go and update my profile so it says so! :)

enjenjo

The reson I asked, Plymouth Horizon, Dodge Omni, used a Saginaw pump with a low pressure valve in it from the factory. You can just switch the valve to your pump.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

Crafty

Ah I see, interesting to know that a low pressure valve is available as an OE part.

Getting hold of the valve isn't a problem, I could just order one from a vendor, the main problem I have is mounting the pump, we talked about passenger side steering pump mounts a while ago in this thread : http://www.roddingroundtable.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=84418

I've been unable to find any detail on them or anywhere I could get one from, hence looking at the electric route.

All I have found is a serpentine setup from March that I'm pretty sure would work, it has a custom pump and alternator that are very small and sit high on the block, which would be perfect, only problem being its nearly $3000, which is a bit too rich for my pocket.

wayne petty

crafty... sorry i missed you power steering thread..  

i was wondering if you knew about the small gm pumps that have 3 mounting bolts that mount to a flat surface....   perhaps they would work on the front of your motor...  with a plate off the lower motor mount holes in the front of the block...

some have a remote tank.. others have a plastic tank mounted on top...

i will try to get images.  
http://images.chevyhiperformance.com/projectbuild/0605ch_04_power_steering_pump_z.jpg   this one has a bracket on the front.. but they can be mounted directly to the block/bracket... if you have an ajustment elsewhere

here is a link to the pumps front view  and the aftermarket pressure reducing fitting
http://www.kennysrodshop.com/parts/by_vendor/billet-specialties/bs_psp.html

and... i will start taking my one inch wrench to and small bolt cutters to the junk yards to collect the horizon style pump outlets... i still see a few when i go there...

Crafty

Wayne, I haven't heard of that type of pump, all I've seen is the "type 1" pump:

and the "type 2" pump:

are you saying there is another type ?

for rerference the pump needs to be high to clear the crossmember / steering rack, lets say the pulley needs to be something like 2.5" above crank centreline, more is better!

wayne petty

ah.. you were posting while i was editing...

what would happen if you flipped that last pumps bracket...

the pump would be much higher... maybe high enough... ???

it does look  like you might have to run the belt over the water pump pulley also...

one thing....  you might have to carve out the ajustment slot and make a sliding nut like is used on a vertical mill table so you can loosen and move the pump from the front as the back will be blocked by the block....

Crafty

Wayne, that last picture does look interesting, I assume the holes in the bracket line up with the old front mount holes in the block. You may well be right when you say it might be high enough

I know southern rods do that bracket/pump but I can't find any info on dimensions (most important one is height above crank centerline). Do you know anywhere else that sells that bracket ?

wayne petty

i looked up in a google search the small block chevy dimensions  and found this chart below...

as for the pump ... that was on the other thread i started...  
http://www.roddingroundtable.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=9209

about half way thought...    is where i found the info for the raised pump...

with the diagram below... you might be able to make your own plate if you can get a pump with the proper pulley... there were a ton of options on the pump pulleys...

dormanproducts.com has some new ones that fit oem apps in their oem catalog...

http://www.dormanproducts.com/catalog/OESolutions2006/317-326PowerSteeringPulleys.pdf

i don't if that will help or hinder you....

but having the block dimensions... allows you to get a plate cut out for the pump after mocking it up with cardbord, then plywood...   changes in thickness would move the pump in and out ...

the hard part it to align the groove for the belts...  and to make sure there is ajustment available...

GPster

OK dumb idea of the day. If you went to FI or at least an electric fuel pump you would have the passenger side (Whoops! you said UK) front motor mount bosses and the fuel pump mounting bosses to fasten a home-made bracket too. What side are you steering this thing from? Didn't GM make any vehicles using a SBC that were designed for your way of driving? Maybe there's an answer closer than you think. GPster