Curious...

Started by chopshopcustoms, August 07, 2008, 07:38:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

chopshopcustoms

Just wondering if people here are professionals (either own your own shop or work in one) or just work in your backyard on stuff.
Lenny Schaeffer
Chop-Shop Customs
Woburn MA
www.chop-shopcustoms.com

348tripower

Don Colliau

papastoyss

import auto mechanic for 40 yrs, have home shop for hot rod work so I guess I'm half pro, half shade tree (insert smart comments here) . 348 tripower, nice to meet you at Louisville & put a face with the name.Have you found a pouting doll for your brother yet?
grandchildren are your reward for not killing your teenagers!

Danimal

Ahh, brotherly love...I'd do the same for mine.

Anyway. Shade tree here. I work for a parts supplier to GM as my alter ego. And I raise goats and sheep in my other spare time.

enjenjo

In the archives somewhere there is a list of occupations for a lot of the members. Of course people change, and life changes.

I am a retired heavy truck mechanic. I build hot rods in my backyard shop since I retired. Of course I did that befire I retired too.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

GPster

I'm disabled/retired and I mostly talk about building a street rod. I've been talking about the same one since '93. It's now on its' fourth engine, third transmission, third rear end and second chassis and it hasn't moved out of the back yard under its' own power yet. I kind of wish I had/was a shadetree mechanic. Gets hot in a 16' by 32' metal building. I'm also a house husband and it pays as good as my street rod building. GPster

sirstude

I spent a bunch of years wrenching, but now am a computer guy, that plays with hot rods in my garage, and lately I seem to be about as productive as GPster, for some of the same reasons.  I can't make up my mind on how to do things and keep starting over.

Doug
1965 Impala SS  502
1941 Olds

Watcher of #974 1953 Studebaker Bonneville pas record holder B/BGCC 249.945 MPH.  He sure is FAST

www.theicebreaker.us

purplepickup

Quote from: "sirstude".....lately I seem to be about as productive as GPster, for some of the same reasons.  I can't make up my mind on how to do things and keep starting over.
Doug
Make that three of us in a questionably productive mode.   The truck still runs so there's not much need to change that.  The '61 Rambler wagon is waiting til I retire....hopefully within a year.

I've got too many other interests to get overly serious about any one thing.  Most of those interests keep me knee deep in projects....just not rod related.  

In real life I'm a procurer of prototype heavy duty truck components for an engineering lab.
George

Learpilot

Just build my own stuff. My Father started  Drag Racing when I was 8. I helped him build our Flathead powered  Dragsters  (we build 4 of them )until 19 when I went in the Air Force.  After 4 years came home and started back working on my 36 Dodge. I have owned my 36 since 1965 when I was 16.
I am a Professional Pilot flying a Learjet 45. I have just always loved cars and the greatest guys , Car Guys.
Rick

moose

Home builder, away builder I will beat on metal anywhere I get the chance! For employment I work for the local wastewater treatment system so I really know my *"  :roll:

My hope and plan to to ust this hobby to suplement my retirement soon.....Metal fab work and pinstriping 8)

Tim

chopshopcustoms

Quote from: "sirstude"I spent a bunch of years wrenching, but now am a computer guy, that plays with hot rods in my garage, and lately I seem to be about as productive as GPster, for some of the same reasons.  I can't make up my mind on how to do things and keep starting over.

Doug

I find an awfuyl lot of car guys lately who work in the 'real world' woth computers. Cant possibly find a correlation but still cool nonetheless.
Lenny Schaeffer
Chop-Shop Customs
Woburn MA
www.chop-shopcustoms.com

zzford

I am a Chippendale male stripper by trade. Yeah, right. I am a semi-retired mechanic. I still am working part time. I work on garbage trucks by day. The pay ain't too good, but it is all you can eat. Let me show you my maggot collection sometime.

jaybee

Tinkerer here, when I can I go out to the garage and pretend I'm building a car.  I make a little progress and then a bunch of other things come up to keep me away.  Hopefully once I do enough things one at a time I'll find myself sitting behind the wheel of a driver.  Then again I'm two years into a job I love more than any I've ever had and my youngest boy goes to college in two weeks so with a little luck those stints in the garage will come closer together.
Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength. Eric Hoffer  (1902 - 1983)

Bob C

Quote from: "chopshopcustoms"Just wondering if people here are professionals (either own your own shop or work in one) or just work in your backyard on stuff.

I have a rod shop in Michigan.
www.acrodz.com

mopar2dr

Homeshop builder,with too many other hobbies. I have the bare Dakota frame ready to shorten 10" to accept the 51 f-1 body and box. The problem is picking the drive train. I'm leaning toward a v-6 with 5 speed manual tranny. i just can't pick between the mopar  or ford. then agian the chevy 4.3 is another thought.
I got lost in thought, it was unfamiliar territory!