Truck from hell

Started by enjenjo, July 23, 2008, 09:33:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

enjenjo

I then established a center line for the frame, including the height. this was measured off the intact frame.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

enjenjo

Normally I would reuse the original frame horns, but these were so messed up I made all new ones from some rectangular tubing I had.

enjenjo

Not much done on the frame, I'll get back to that tomorrow. I needed a change of pace.

Over the last few days, I cleaned all the brackets off an A body rear end, welded perches for the truck on it. I also pulled the cover to check the ring and pinion, replaced the wheel bearings and seals, and rebuilt the brakes. It's all back together, painted, and ready to install.

I also found two holes cut in the air plenum on the front of the cab, that was letting rain into the cab. I welded patches on the holes, also a lot of the holes in the firewall, 9 patches in all. I spent most of one day removing the junk that was left from the brake pedal bracket and steering column going welded in place. I did not want to damage the firewall and dash any further.

So here is the next step on the frame.

enjenjo

Here is the crossmember welded to the frame horns. You can see I added another gusset to the top of the crossmember, and a reinforcement at eack of the core support mounts.

BFS57

Hello;
Wholly Cow! That Guy should have jacked up the radiator cap and drove a new truck under it!
You Are The Man! If the customer doesn't like what you have done for this ride than that person has no business behind the wheel of some POS like it was!
I am impressed!!! Keep up the great work! I only wish I had some video to actually see how FAST you are moving when doing all of this!

Bruce

38HAULR

Quote from: "Bugpac"I was in a service shop the other day, they had a mustang on a rotisserie, doing a restore, they were welding patches in the frame, scab welding them to be exact, I noticed were they had bondoed over a few as well...I feel * sorry for the poor sap that ends up with that POS...
Must have been the same shop that did my "Ted Vernon Special"     62 Buick Special I purchased from his dealership in Florida. The RH rocker[sill as we call it] panel had been "replaced" By just folding it under to the floor pan and welded with a series of spaced beads. Looking under the vehicle, the LH side rocker has the factory folded down longitudal joining  lip which is now missing from the RH side . I am sure thankfull that the  described as "good" floor pans and trunk floor are like "swiss cheese", At least I get to fix them myself, rather than undo any crap.The scary bit will be rubbing back the "new paint" on the lower parts of the body panels,already one of the rear wheel arches has a paint flake lifted exposing painted over rust. You blokes must have your fair share of dodgy shops over in the States ........Frank.

enjenjo

Well, here is some progress from today. I have the frame horns welded on, and one boxed in. I used a tool I have had for some time for the first time on this job. It's a lazer level by Bushnell. I set it up on the middle of the frame, where it was untouched, and leveled it front to rear and side to side. Turned the level 180 degrees, and the lazer line showed just where the frame horns had to go. Neat piece, I have thought of a bunch of uses, like setting up motor mounts.

38HAULR

That job looks very neat. Good work there Frank. Your running explanation of the job shows thought and skill.  The previous job looks exactly for what it was "AD Hoc'..........Frank [from Oz]

enjenjo

With the way the frame is set up, the back side of the idler arm bolts could not be reached, because the frame is boxed there now. so I welded crush sleeves into the frame, so the bolt heads would be on the outside of the frame. Due to a miscalculation, that I blame on Vance :roll: , the sleeves were 1/4" too short, :shock:  I discovered this after the horns were welded in place, and one was boxed, so it was not possible to change the sleeves.

So using a couple pieces of scrap steel, and a 1/2" bolt, I made a die to press dimples into the plate on my press. Worked good.

TJ's Dad

Some classy work there Frank , the owner should be stoked , i wonder if the following was this vehicle ......  :lol:  :lol:

http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=Bd876iqGdT4&feature=related
I\'d rather a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomomy !!!

ASRF Life Member

VHRA Member.

Danimal

Frank, every time I check this post I'm pleased with the progress and impressed by the way you do things. I'm also * glad you aren't afraid to share your knowledge!

enjenjo

Not much chance to work on it the last couple days. The rear end is in, and the bolt in motor mounts are tacked together. More pictures soon.

Bib_Overalls

I agree with Danimal. What ever he said.
An Old California Rodder
Hiding Out In The Ozarks

EMSjunkie

I told you to use longer bolts.......but noooooo.....you had to do it "your way"  :lol:  :lol:

that'll teach ya......shoulda listened :wink:  :wink:

Vance
"I don\'t know what your problem is, but I bet its hard to pronounce"

1934 Ford 3 Window
Member, Rural Rodders
Member, National Sarcasm Society  "Like we need your support"
*****Co-Founder  Team Smart*****

enjenjo

Here is that plate tacked on the frame