Another AV8 on the road

Started by jon g, June 10, 2004, 02:24:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jon g

Hello all,
Yesterday I finally took my recently finished 30 AV8 roadster on its maiden voyage and all went well. It never got over 160, thermostat temp, on a hot, humid day in Indiana and everything worked. It took a little while before I remembered to slip the clutch to keep from bucking at low speed in second gear. It's been 43 years since I have rowed that kind of tranny. It also got it's first bath in preparation for cruise night at the Big Boy. Yes, there is still a Big Boy in Anderson, Indiana where they used to cruise in the 50s/60s. They have cruise night every wednesday evening.

Hey Mike, Many thanks for your great book. I had been thinking of building a flatty like my dad raced in the 50s and put in my "T"bucket that had a sbc/pwrgld combo..............then I saw your book!! 6 years ago this month I got the frame and started. I built very close to the book except it is a '30, channelled 4 inches and moved front crossmember to clear a 49 Merc mill. I also went with a hi tech seat (with springs). I had the foam on plywood type on my bucket and since not as much spring in my body decided it better be in the seat. That really did make a more comfy ride.
I have really enjoyed the builden and am really looking forward to the driven!!  
Sorry so long a post but I think most of ya understand  :lol:
Good luck,
Jon G

purplepickup

Congratulations Jon!    A successful maiden voyage after 6 years of building must have really made you proud.  You're probably still smiling. :D  

I'll bet it makes Mike proud to know he "helped" too.

Now when you settle down you'll have to post some pictures.
George

Congratulations! I know the feeling,It's better than.....Uh.....Chocolate Cake!
"The one who dies with the most friends wins"

av8

Quote from: "jon g"Hello all,
Yesterday I finally took my recently finished 30 AV8 roadster on its maiden voyage and all went well. . . .
Hey Mike, Many thanks for your great book. . .  Jon G

Congratulations, Jon, and you're welcome. The book is just a small part of the story; as you well know by now there's a ton of time and energy involved, along with some not-so-inconsequential dollars to build a roadster. I'd love to see some pictures.

Mike

1FATGMC

Neat story  :D .

Have fun with the car and post some pictures.

c ya, Sum

jon g

Hello all,
 Many thanks for the comments. Today was going to be photo day and I do intend to post some pix. Unfortunately the rains came to the hinterlands today and nothing but clouds and rain in the 5 day forecast. I hope it doesn't wash out the Indy Goodguys!!

When I get the pix I'm sure I'll need some instruction on posting them as I'm new to this forum and just finding my way around. It's a great site but my computor navigating leaves a lot to be desired  :?

Happy Roddin,
   Jon G